Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens brand do you like the least?
Pentax 1114.67%
Phoenix 4661.33%
Sigma 1013.33%
Tamron 56.67%
Tokina 34.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Least favorite lens brand

May as well continue my last poll about the favorite lens brand with least favorite lens brand...

Same companies, different question!

It will be interesting to see how much the results differ from the other poll. It's possible they go exactly opposite... Though it's very possible they won't.

12-10-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My god! Someone hated the pentax brand! Must be a some kind humour I had not encountered before ...

This question is too generalised as each brand has good and bad lenses ... And the definition of good and bad are also relative...

A "soft" lens can still serve a different purpose like art craft stuff... (I am struggling here. You get the point.

The person who dislikes the pentax lenses could just go onto any other brands (hopefully not picking the pentax brand for the price - then samsung is the next transition I believe)
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
My god! Someone hated the pentax brand! Must be a some kind humour I had not encountered before ...
Wasn't me - lol
12-11-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I voted for Phoenix only because I have never heard of them and really have nothing against the other Brands (especially Pentax. But to see the results of the poll I had to vote - so Phoenix it was.

Can someone enlighten me about this Phoenix brand, are they that bad? Do they do lenses for other makes also?

12-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My least favourate lens are the ones I can't afford :ugh:
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I voted for Phoenix only because I have never heard of them and really have nothing against the other Brands (especially Pentax. But to see the results of the poll I had to vote - so Phoenix it was.

Can someone enlighten me about this Phoenix brand, are they that bad? Do they do lenses for other makes also?

Here is a list of their lenses

Or at least some of them. Those are the ones for Pentax. There are also some listed for Sony/Minolta. Otherwise, that appears to be it.
12-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks Buschmaster.
One of the lenses on the BH site was for a canon mount (which would make sense), I have just never heard of them before and their lenses are really cheap has anyone ever used the lenses or does the cheap price put you off as you would expect the worst?

12-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thanks Buschmaster.
One of the lenses on the BH site was for a canon mount (which would make sense), I have just never heard of them before and their lenses are really cheap has anyone ever used the lenses or does the cheap price put you off as you would expect the worst?
I looked up a review because I was curious...
It can be seen here.
Seen for sale on B&H here.

From reading this, this particular lens appears to be mostly made from plastic, though parts are metal. So, if you're careful to not drop your lens you should still be okay, but that would contribute to them selling them cheaper. While this may turn you off, the reviewer also said...

"It is in the optical department that the Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 macro lens shines. It is really quite sharp, with excellent center resolution, and pretty good at the edges. Stopped down to f/8 or smaller, there is very little to pick between this lens and more expensive types. It does not match the superb Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro but it certainly is on a par with the Nikkor 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D IF AF in macro mode, and much better than that lens at the edges. It is possible to count the hairs on an insect's body, though they don't show the hard-edged crispness of the Tamron or a micro-Nikkor."

I may have to give them a try at some point down the road... As long as you are careful not to break it, it sounds like they could make a sharp lens.
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think this is how it goes:

Cosina makes this style of new plastic lenses. Phoenix, Promaster, Vivitar put their label on it. They seem to be identical.
12-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Of the brands I've owned (all but the phoenix), the Tamron is easily my least favorite. I have one of those 28-300 superzooms that I bought when I was stupid. Sadly, I still use it occasionally when I can only carry one lens with me.
12-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The 10% who voted for Pentax is what scares me about that poll. Any Canon Trolls in this forum?
12-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry ... messed up ... didn't read the text properly ... just voted ... for Pentax

When I saw the result I realised that it was the lens I liked the least that I voted for ... not the one that I liked the most ... which I actually voted for.

Might have happend to others too.

Any way to pull back my vote? Mo/Adam? And put it on the Phoenix?

Last edited by Ebbe S; 12-23-2006 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Saw an earlier reply from Mo
12-30-2006, 03:21 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I did tht same thing Adam I guess it was to early and I didn't read it right. My vote should be Pionex.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-30-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

herbert kepler from pop photo said that this one phoenix lens was a steal. really cheap, and it produced out decent shots.

here's the article

SLR: Make Do Or Splurge? - - PopPhotoJune 2004

i've seen them too in past photo expo's. they dont have much..but they been around...

(i did vote for them tho.. but just because..they are the least known)
12-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good one Randy! Unfortunately for me that means most of them!

NaCl(does that mean that when I win the lotto I'l love all brands?)H2O