Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism_scotland Quote
Can someone explain how a focal length makes a difference?I understand that say a 100mm would be more useful for say bugs as not to scare them and I guess 90mm is similar but what else would you use a macro lens for?

(You can tell I know nothing about macro!)
The other use of a macro lens is as a normal non-macro lens. You don't have to use it for macro or close up. Plenty people use the 35mm macro lens as their standard lens (with normal field-of-view on APSc); a 100mm can be used as a medium telelens or longish portrait etc.

Disadvantage/annoyance of macros lenses for non-macro purpose can be that they have a long throw on the focus ring so getting something distant in focus while the previous shot was at a short focusing distance takes a little longer.

02-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there's cheap option also. I made this photo using extension rings and m42 zeiss tessar 50mm 2.8, but smc-takumar-50 1,4 or any other good primes would do the job.

link to pic:
All sizes | DSC00256 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'll chime in with my usual suggestion: enlarger and/or bellows-macro lenses, on extension (bellows and/or tubes). A kit including M42 bellows, set(s) of tubes, M42-PK adapter, and various enlarger lenses in the 50-75-110-140 range (with M39-M42 adapter rings as needed) can be had for well under US$100. Advantages: cheap, sharp, flexible, small. Disadvantage: use with flash is tricky. No autofocus, but Catch-In-Focus works fine. Lenses longer than 80mm can achieve infinity focus on most bellows and and can thus also be used for general photography, portraits, etc. Don't leave home without some.