Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
The peak of crappy built must have been the F and FA series.
Some of the F lenses are fantastically well built. Eg. the F* 300/4.5 - a real beauty.

02-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I sent an email to pentax usa and they told me the 300 and 55 are exactly the same in build (eg metal with plastic case)... I guess my 300 with aluminum showing in the filter threads is really polycarbonate I wonder if pentax usa actually has any of their lenses there on site.......
02-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I sent an email to pentax usa and they told me the 300 and 55 are exactly the same in build (eg metal with plastic case)... I guess my 300 with aluminum showing in the filter threads is really polycarbonate I wonder if pentax usa actually has any of their lenses there on site.......
I guess if you are willing to sacrifice your lens, you could cut it in half and let us know.
02-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I dont mean to make it sound like its bad by any means, and I would say that by and large, leica is still on top. Idiotically expensive, but still on top. but Zeiss, is mostly made by Cosina in Japan, and despite the claimed zeiss approved facilities, manufacturing and quality control, there have been many a rant about problems with zeiss lenses. I also know that people have had problems with both the leica m8’s and M9’s. nostalgia is great, but even back then, there were certainly quality control problems and cheap materials used. I agree that Pentax isn’t what it used to be. literally, since Asahi Optical no longer exists. but, make of it all what you will. i sure would like to have that Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH on my M3 though.
That is in fact beyond das - that is truly a big impertinence. If you pay luxury prices you have the right to expect luxurious products.

I'm sure not everything was that rosy back then - it's just that you don't think of the "dark" sides - it's more like the good old greener grass on the other side - with the old times being the other side.

Unfortunately I have never handled a Leica or Zeiss lens but I had some vintage Pentax lenses so I can imagine how their feel is like.
Actually I'm totally in the boat for the FA limiteds. They have exactly what is missed by modern built lenses. Prices aren't as astronomical as Leica or Zeiss lenses, though but still way above my line of comfort (and possiblilites).

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Some of the F lenses are fantastically well built. Eg. the F* 300/4.5 - a real beauty.
I should have mentioned that I refered to the regular F and FA series - not the special "*" lenses.
But even then I still find the F* and FA* lenses look like toys and seriously - plastic aperture rings on pro lenses?
Built can still be great but looks don't convince me - DA* lenses are prettier but seem to have lost something in the built department again.
Lame.
Damn I want metal ( \m/ ) back!

Last edited by Egg Salad; 02-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.
02-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used the 55mm at a convention this weekend. It's a bokeh and sharpness BEAST. Glad I bought it. The focal length of 55mm is perfect, I like it so much more than 50 on APS-C.
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I used the 55mm at a convention this weekend. It's a bokeh and sharpness BEAST. Glad I bought it. The focal length of 55mm is perfect, I like it so much more than 50 on APS-C.

Now try some portraits with it and watch it really come to life.
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Now try some portraits with it and watch it really come to life.
Well I should have given more detail. The convention is an anime convention and I pretty much take 500 or so portraits of people in costumes.

Edit: started uploading some of the photos.
http://scottjwaldron.com/p552782460
You will be able to tell by the EXIF. I was using a K-5, K-7, 14mm f2.8, 55mm f1.4, 31mm f1.8, and 50-200 WR

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.