Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm a cynic so I tend to think the worse sometimes. I'd have a hard time believing something came apart in transit in your packaging, you must have sent it JUST at the right time. Having him send it back for inspection is probably the best course of action if you want to keep the peace here. Do keep track of all communications.

Good luck with it.

Yeah, believe me...the thought crossed my mind but there's just no way to really prove anything so I didn't even bother bringing it up. You could ask anyone I know, I hear a hard to believe story and I most likely won't believe it. Which is bad because I've been through some really hard to believe situations myself and sometimes when I tell people about those stories I wonder how many people just don't believe me. I guess cynic is a good word for it, but I just consider myself a skeptic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Scott:

I want to take a second to thank you for posting your experience here. I have read all you have written, along with our fourm's response, and feel I learned something from it all.

I am sorry to hear about what you have endured--truly a shame. As far as right & wrong go, from what I read here, clearly the buyer is wrong and an idiot. However, especially with an idiot, I would carfefully follow the excellent advice you received here already, especially from the excellent efforts of JP-Seattle, which you said you will do.

You can not win in this situation. If this guy is utilizing unethical means to get his desired ends, it will surely come back to him--I firmly believe this.

Good luck, and please update us here if any new twists come about as a result of your attempts to clean up the mess.

JT
Thanks so much Jewelltrail. I will be sure to keep you all updated. I guess I can consider myself lucky that this happened with my very first sold item, and relatively speaking the value of the lens isn't high like a DA* lens or the like. I'll be sure just to accept the loss in time and possible buyers as the price of doing business on ebay next time and just refund the money.

02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'm a cynic so I tend to think the worst sometimes. I'd have a hard time believing...

This has always been my philosophy in life, and it hasn't failed me yet.
02-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This has always been my philosophy in life, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Ironic statement of the day goes to......Ira

or, should I say Ira-nic?
02-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
Ironic statement of the day goes to......Ira

or, should I say Ira-nic?
You can describe it as a lot of things, but I just can't see how ironic plays into it at all.

I'm usually quite clear about my mistrust of my fellow man, with the exception of a select group here who I hold close and dear to my heart. And they know who they are.

Even Wheatfield, who always pisses me off because he hates America so much.

02-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

that's a Canadian thing we all feel that way Ira, but we like you
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can describe it as a lot of things, but I just can't see how ironic plays into it at all.

I'm usually quite clear about my mistrust of my fellow man, with the exception of a select group here who I hold close and dear to my heart. And they know who they are.

Just passing a joke about how a cynic is so sure that one of his philosophies in life has been working out for him. I'd think a true cynic would choose a philosophy but not be sure sure they've chosen the right one and that it's worked out all their life.

03-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To those of you following this ordeal. I actually received a check last friday for the damaged lens. So, all in all, not nearly as painful of a situation as I thought it would be. But still not the route I'd recommend taking. Thanks for all the advice!
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I currently have my very first few listings ever up on ebay and reading this story has made me quite nervous. I've already received enough inquiries during the bidding to know that a lot of people who use ebay are stupid or don't even make an attempt to read your product description. I even had one guy send me a message asking me if one of my lenses had pristine blemish free, dustless optics when I shone a flashlight through it... even though the listing clearly states there are a number of blemishes on it, cleaning marks, internal dust etc. I told him to read the listing again and he replied by thanking me for confirming the lens was in perfect condition.

I could just see someone using a situation like that as a scam, like "Look the buyer told me it was perfect, here is our communication!" Even though I did no such thing. As sellers it really looks like we have to watch our asses on ebay. Alas.

03-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have heard so many similar horror stories over the years that I have NEVER sold anything on ebay and plan never to do so. Additionally, I hate paypal with a passion and only use it to pay for things I cannot acquire any other way.

This story just confirms my mistrust of the ebay/paypal system.

Mind you, I have just accepted an offer from a gumtree ad... and have to deal with someone in Qld instead of locally (I would have preferred a cash pickup). I am not comfortable about the whole thing but he seems genuine enough so I'm going for it. I'll be nervous until the entire deal is completed, with everyone happy with what they have.
03-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I currently have my very first few listings ever up on ebay and reading this story has made me quite nervous. I've already received enough inquiries during the bidding to know that a lot of people who use ebay are stupid or don't even make an attempt to read your product description. I even had one guy send me a message asking me if one of my lenses had pristine blemish free, dustless optics when I shone a flashlight through it... even though the listing clearly states there are a number of blemishes on it, cleaning marks, internal dust etc. I told him to read the listing again and he replied by thanking me for confirming the lens was in perfect condition.

I could just see someone using a situation like that as a scam, like "Look the buyer told me it was perfect, here is our communication!" Even though I did no such thing. As sellers it really looks like we have to watch our asses on ebay. Alas.
If your listing describes and shows the lens accurately you gave the proper response. There shouldn't be anything to worry about. Some write asking questions just to see if you'll answer, especially if you don't have a selling history. When asked a question there is a check box on the answer page that will display the q&a at the bottom of the listing. If you're truly concerned about someone, there is a block list that you can use to block a bid from specific people. Mine has about as many names as the response I've just typed has words.