Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
I haven't yet used a V700/V750 or Nikon ED scanner yet, but I beg to differ with regard to V500/V600/8800f/9950f and similar class flatbeds.

Pretty sure this 'DSLR scanner' will beat them in speed and workflow, but also dynamic range and image quality.
There's a reason that transparencies are still scanned conventionally for professional work, and not shot with a camera.

02-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's a reason that transparencies are still scanned conventionally for professional work, and not shot with a camera.
A professional drum scan for professional work is not the same as a home flatbed scan, and hardly a 'conventional' process. Likewise with Imacon scans.
I'm aiming for quick scans for web use here; can't be bothered with the tedious scan workflow for the time being; life's too short.
For exhibits and publication, I can get very high quality, very large scans from this film, having access to a drum scanner.
For me, the DSLR method is quite a bit better than my dinky Canon 8800f. At web sizes, I doubt anything can beat it.
With nicer equipment and different aims for your scans, of course YMMV.

PS here's the corrected version of the image posted earlier, as shot with the K-x. Good enough for me ...

Last edited by Dubesor; 02-18-2011 at 08:41 PM.
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Came to think (you may be aware of this already): You can possibly have an even smoother workflow using PK-Tether:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/130089-tethering-app-works.html

Steen G. B.
03-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, tethering would save lots of time.

But I'm still struggling with the initial setup. I have a lightbox now with a nice even diffused source of 5000K light. However, the camera needs to be so far away from the film being "scanned" (28cm) that it actually gets reflected in the film. I tried using a bellows to cut sidelight, but it didn't work (more on that here).

03-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
After reading this and much other material, I just convinced my 70.. er...something year old father to get himself a Plustek slide/film scanner to digitize a few thousand of his slide transparences from the 60's.

It will be a tedious process to scan (his part) and tedious also to set up the software (my part) but I am hoping the results are decent.

I briefly considered buying a new slide duplicator like Dubesor here and using my DA35 but the Plustek scanner wasnt so expensive and i think might get at least more consistent and easier results.
I will endeavour to post samples somewhere here if it works .
..or alternatively to ask for help if it doesn't work.