Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
k-mount MF wide-angle shift lenses

I've long wanted to get one of these.

The only available Pentax OEM lens seems to be the K-series SMCP f2.8/35mm Shift.

Are there any others I'm not aware of? Are there non-Pentax shift lenses that are as good/better?

The e-bay prices seem to be in the 590-1000+ dollar range. Beyond the usual checks re optics, scratches, alignment, rattles, fungus, etc., are there any specifics of the shift lens, for example about the built-in filters or whatever, that I should be looking at?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

02-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a shift adapter to use Pentacon medium format lenses as shift lenses.

There is the PCS Arsat 35mm f2.8 Shift Lens made in the Ukraine.

The Loreo 35 mm f11-22 Shift lens (Lens-In-A-Cap)

The newest are the Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon 28mm f2.8 Shift Lens (2008)
(The mechanism uses an adapter for different mounts as part of the design, but without adapter cannot be used, similar to the Adaptall)

Tilt-Shift lenses other than Lensbaby.
The Zenitar MC 35mm Tilt & Shift f2.8 (2008) and the Zenitar MC 80mm Tilt & Shift f2.8 (2008)

Schneider-Kreuznach also announced two new tilt-shift lenses at Photokina.
PC-TS Super-Angulon 2.8 / 50 HM
PC-TS Makro-Symmar 4.0 / 90
02-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

There's also Hartblei... in K-mount, they've got a 40mm F4, 80mm F2.8, and 120mm F4 macro. Their old site shows the 35mm F2.8, 65mm F3.5, 80mm F2.8, and 120mm F2.8. The old site also lists the Arsat 35mm F2.8 and 80mm F2.8.

I have no first-hand experience, but it appears that the Hartblei stuff is very high-quality and priced to match. Their new stuff uses, from what I understand, Zeiss medium-format lenses stuffed into a t/s body for 35mm use and has approval from Zeiss.
02-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you both. Lots of options to consider.

The price range for shift lenses means my budget will take only a used one.

Let me repeat my other question. Do shift lenses have, due to their complexity, any partical usual weak points of their own, beyond the common ones such as scratches, fungus, etc., that I should look at/evaluate?

02-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #5

I don't know the answer to your question, but am also interested in this and wish Pentax would maybe build a few more of these lenses for us to play with.

There's another post you should look at here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24004-my-self-...t-bellows.html

It'd be a fairly cheap way to play around with tilt/shift.

The only weak points I'd look for is the actual rotation and shifting mechanism on the 28/3.5 shift lens. Make sure the oil hasn't gummed up, gathered much dust, or loosened up over the years. I imagine most of the ones you find out there will be in good shape as I don't think many people who have these use them all that often.
02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Thank you both. Lots of options to consider.

The price range for shift lenses means my budget will take only a used one.

Let me repeat my other question. Do shift lenses have, due to their complexity, any partical usual weak points of their own, beyond the common ones such as scratches, fungus, etc., that I should look at/evaluate?
Yes as previously posted most people who owned a K28/3.5 Shift probably did not use it very much, so it’s easy to find one in excellent condition with everything working. Hence the high prices of $500 to $900.00 for a used one. It’s a great lens on film, not sure on the FL for an APS-C DSLR, won’t be wide enough.

Phil.