Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LBA: DA40ltd or plastic DA35

I'm rather new into Pentax DSLR. Actually I was looking for some lenses long before I did buy my K-X. So I had LBA before buying a camera.

Now I seem to have found out that I need a lens in the 35mm range. The FA31 is too expensive, as is the DA35macro. When the new DA35 f2.4 came out I was reluctant due to plastic mount and the less sturdy build than the DA40.

Now the DA40 has dropped in price, it is less than double the priceof the DA35.
Both are light and rougly the same focus and aperture. The build is obviously superior for the D40.

But is there actually any optical gain for the DA40 against the DA35? Is there a difference in AF speed?

Seb.

02-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, Seb.

If you truly had LBA (don't worry, you'll catch it), you would have simply bought both. Not having owned any of those particular lenses though, I would always say Go Limited. The DA40 is known for being one of the fastest and sharpest prime lenses in the Pentax lineup.

02-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are probably right. I only buy a lens a week. This does not count as LBA yet, right?
There is no cure for LBA, just to buy it. But the "WiFe 1.0" seems to be slowing the LBA down. Congrats the (un)lucky guy with a beta version WiFe with LBA in another recent post...

The DA 40 was THE lens I had to get first, but apparently the cheap DA35 is really good.
My question is is it good enough to get? Or do I end up buying both in the end?

Seb.
02-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #4

I have the 40 and it is surprised me with its sharpness and contrast. It is fast focusing but not that fast aperture wise (but neither is the 35).

I would suggest trying both in store. If you find the 35 fast enough, then you can save some money towards a second lens at another focal length.

Also, what do you plan to shoot with it? I have ended up with a 40 which I use for single person half length portraits, and a 30 for more than 1 person indoors and a 21 for street shots.

I know I could stand a little further away but I would find 35 a bit in the middle.

Gareth

02-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have the DA 35mm, and i'm quite happy with it.

This "plastic wonder" is really ... plastic :ugh: it's light, a bit speedier than the 40mm (f2.4 vs f2.8). it's sharp at full aperture, and very sharp at 3.5-4. that's what i saw from my pictures. at f5.6 and more, the color are so cool, more saturated, and produce a blue sky like the one you can see on advertisement
it has a nice bokeh too.
the AF is efficient and fast.

The cons are for me : no aprture ring, and no focusing ring ... i use a lot some A lenses like the 28mm and 50mm and, i miss it !
a bit too "plastic", feel like a Canon DSLR a bit fragile.
But for 180€ i understand that i can't have some wonderfull limited.

i think it's a good first prime if you don't want to spend too much money ...
02-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt you'd be wanting to get both in the end. It'll be a toss up between economy and quality build. I wouldn't get hung up about IQ or 'speed' - difficult to appreciably tell the difference, though the 40's AF performance is the fastest known for Pentax.
02-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

to be clear, when i say fast, it means that he dosen't have to "search", he goes straight to the good focusing. compare to the 18-55 it's clearly faster.

And i agree with you the 40's AF is a bit better.

02-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The DA40, i think, has an edge in contrast and flare rejection. The 40's rendering is so vivid it almost looks unnatural - the images I've seen from the 35 looks very good, but less vivid than the 40.
02-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Both are good by all accounts. The DA limiteds have that small increase in every aspect of a lens's "quality" over normal lenses, but you pay for it. At the current price, the DA35 is a really good deal.

The DA40 is impressive in particular for the evenness of its results across the frame. But even though the focal legnts are close, they are different animals I think.

the biggest advantage of the DA35 is its relative gain in speed. The advantage of the DA40 is the improvement in IQ. Decide which is most important for you.

Either way you'll be fine.
02-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Damn..gotta learn someday to stop peeking at these kind of threads...now i NEED one of those, probably the 40mm, well to the wishlist it goes till my GF lets me withdraw funds (She has a guillotine waiting if i don't respect some boundaries..i tried really hard to get her into photography, and gear, but she is very rational about it)
Well when you decide tell us and enjoy it.
02-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Damn..gotta learn someday to stop peeking at these kind of threads...now i NEED one of those, probably the 40mm, well to the wishlist it goes till my GF lets me withdraw funds (She has a guillotine waiting if i don't respect some boundaries..i tried really hard to get her into photography, and gear, but she is very rational about it)
Well when you decide tell us and enjoy it.
02-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd agree with the other comments on the performance of the DA40, though I suspect that you would be just as happy with the DA35 in that department. I have not have any trouble with the plastic mount on my DAL 55-300, which puts much more stress on the mount, so I am not sure that issue is all some feel it is. If money is a concern, I don't think you will lose quality in your shots going with this lens from all I've seen.

However, one of the reasons not mentioned why the DA40 takes more shots on my K-x body than all other lenses put together is its tiny size. I can slip the K-x with DA40 into the pocket of ski-type jackets and even dress topcoats where no other lens will work. Sometimes even the small size difference of the DA21 is enough to prevent that. In addition, it doesn't look like a normal DSLR setup, and especially not like one that would produce an FOV of a slight tele. People don't react to it. It is like using a point and shoot or an old Olympus XA. I love street shots with this combo.
02-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
You are probably right. I only buy a lens a week. This does not count as LBA yet, right?
There is no cure for LBA, just to buy it. But the "WiFe 1.0" seems to be slowing the LBA down. Congrats the (un)lucky guy with a beta version WiFe with LBA in another recent post...

The DA 40 was THE lens I had to get first, but apparently the cheap DA35 is really good.
My question is is it good enough to get? Or do I end up buying both in the end?

Seb.
I won't comment too much on WiFe 1.0. I tend to stay out of things like that. Don't like to see anyone have to get WiFe 1.0X and have to start looking for WiFe 2.0.

If you're buying a lens a week, you're definitely infected with LBA. Especially if they are all 50mm lenses.

Re the 40 vs 35, the speed I was referring to is the focus speed. In actual practical use, f2.4 vs f2.8 means very little if anything. In practical use 35mm vs 40mm means very little. As noted, you'll probably get results from both. However, the DA40 has been around a long time and has been proven to stand the longevity test.

02-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

1 vote for the DA 40mm
02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm outside a lot. I hike, ski, paddle, and always bring my camera. The better build quality of the Limiteds are worth it if you can afford the higher price. If you're not as rough on your gear as I am, then it may not matter. I have had a couple of cheap plastic lenses kind of fall apart inside this past winter. The zoom mechanisms broke, probably due to long periods in below freezing weather.