Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #1

Telephoto lense desperation

Hi All,

I've purchased my K10D couple of months ago, and I'm really enjoying almost everything with this camrea, or to be exact the body. lots of features, options, excellent picture quality and more.

The only thing which makes me desperate, is the lense selection. Of course, I was aware to that problem when I bought the camera, but according to the lense road map, some of them were already supposed to be on the market, not to mention Sigma & Tamron as well.
The range which I'm looking for is something alike 70-200 or 70-300, but with large F, around 2.8.
I'm willing to pay top dollar for that lense, but I don't want to buy a second hand, fixed focal lenght, such as, 300mm f1.4 or such which are poping here and there.
The latest lense which Pentax issued is DA* 50-130 which got excellent review, but the focal lenght is not long enough.

All opinions, thoughts are welcomed.

Bright

10-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hi,

*hopefully* the tamron 70-200 is to be released next month, but that is 2nd or 3rd hand info and I think when they do they are going to fly off the shelves, other than that we are waiting until next year (or buying 2nd hand)

Phil
10-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Phil... according to what I was able to get out of Tamron and UK importer Intro2020, the very nice looking Tamron 70-200mm should indeed be released quite soon...

... but guess what...

"For Canon and Nikon"... :ugh:

... Pentax fitting said to follow on a year later (or, I guess, whenever they feel like it).
10-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you in the UK? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/13178-fs-uk-onl...2-8-ex-dg.html

10-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Phil... according to what I was able to get out of Tamron and UK importer Intro2020, the very nice looking Tamron 70-200mm should indeed be released quite soon...

... but guess what...

... Pentax fitting said to follow on a year later (or, I guess, whenever they feel like it).
Thats why i shoot with two systems.LOL Best of both worlds.

Dave Brooks
10-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks, yes I'm in the UK and would have been able to pick it up... but by the time I found it and sent a PM (a whole 2 days after it was listed) it was already sold... and it appears to have gone for a price very close to that of the new, improved version for other mounts... which kind of proves my points
10-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

... but guess what...

Oh, thankyou for that, I think I was really hopeful on this, I planned on pre-order etc and just hope that it was good. I very very seriously considered changing systems a month ago and decided that there is a lot I like about pentax system, and this would fill the only real shortcoming I had (I dont see that 50-135 whilst looks great is the same (and apparently not good close up) and I also dont see the 60-250 as the same, when it ever comes out), this is really sad

10-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is a Sigma 300mm f2.8 that can be bought brand new.
10-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5. =P
10-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
VAV

Not my intention to divert this thread... but I am wondering why Pentax chose this particular focal length range (50-135) f/2.8 when there seems to be such a huge demand for a 70-200 f/2.8 range ? I am slightly confused about this but considering the crop factor, wouldn't the 50-135 have almost the same FOV as a film lens 70-200? Is there some other difference that I am missing - perhaps the 50-135 lens although having the same FOV as 70-200, does not have the same magnification?

Thanks
(a newcomer to photography here)
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bright_Star Quote
... 300mm f1.4 or such which are poping here and there...
Tell me where! (Unless when you mean a 300mm F/4. Those I know.) I have never seen a 300mm F/1.4 and am just phantasizing about its size and weight... (you may know a 300mm F/2.8 weighs over 3 kilograms already! a 300mm f/4 about 0,9 kg)

Cheers!
Syb

Last edited by Syb; 10-16-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: mistyping. Mentioned 4 instead of 1.4 :?
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
re: Telephoto lense desperation

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Trust me you are not alone in having this complaint. I find it bizarre that Pentax offers nothing beyond 200mm (soon to be 250mm, and both only in slow consumer zooms) and nothing fast beyond 135mm. I have heard the excuses about Pentax's priorities being elsewhere, but it's not as if they're a little bit late on this, they're several years late. And, I'll keep saying it, every other SLR system, not only the "big two" but all of them, cover this range... except Pentax.

I am looking for exactly the same thing as you - a fast, good quality tele zoom. I had given up on being able to get one from Pentax - their 80-200mm f/2.8 FA is not exactly cheap or easily available. Also I didn't much want a DA one... the 50-135 not being long enough, and personally when I spend that much on a lens I'd like to be able to use it with film as well. So I was counting on getting the Sigma... until I discovered that they've discontinued it for K-mount.

This and other decent telephoto lenses (like the A and FA ones) are now very hard to find used, and very expensive when you do find them (since availability is so low and there is always someone prepared to pay over the odds).

So my opinions and thoughts are simply... well, I sympathise.
Oh and also, whatever you do, don't make the same point on the Pentax User site (UK). You'll be told in no uncertain terms that you're being unreasonable; that it's perfectly acceptable that Pentax doesn't cover long telephotos and that you have to buy used at a crazy price from eBayers in other countries... unsurprisingly, the people who are happy using a slow 50-200mm are very quick to tell you that you don't need fast glass, and the people who managed to buy good A and FA lenses back when they were actually available are quick to tell you that there's no problem with availability

Anyway, the light at the end of this particular tunnel: According to the latest rumours (see recent posts in the News section), January should see a bunch of announcements... hopefully this will include the 60-250mm f/4 (not f/2.8 but at least a step in the right direction)... and hopefully Sigma will realise that yes we do want their lenses too. A lot of "hopefullys", but then welcome to the world of Pentax

Hi,

First, many thanks for your detailed answer. Its nice to know you too. I'm hanging around this forum for the last year or so.

Second, I think that eventually, I'll stick with Pentax until around February, and if than nothing new will pop up from Pentax, Sigma or Tamron, I'll just sell this camera and move to Nikon or Canon.
I really did my homework back than, when I bought the camera and indeed I think it was the right decision from price, features and more point of view, but still can't take the pictures I want to, and that drives me crazy.

I'm spending some time in another forum (general photography), and there the used section for Nikon or Canon is just hugh, you can basically buy any type of lense that you want, not to mention of course, a brand new lense with warrenty, but when it come to Pentax, all I can find is primes which are wonderfull, or some strage old telephoto with manual focus. Hell I just wanted, and willing to pay almost the same figure which I bought the body for one lense, but no one is manufacturing them.

You know, at some point its almost as much frustrating like buying a brand new Mercedes and finding out, that you can't install a cellular handset :-(

Regards,
Bright
10-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
Never meant any model in particular...

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Tell me where! (Unless when you mean a 300mm F/4. Those I know.) I have never seen a 300mm F/4 and am just phantasizing about its size and weight... (you may know a 300mm F/2.8 weighs over 3 kilograms already! a 300mm f/4 about 0,9 kg)

Cheers!
Syb
Hi,

I never meant to mention a specific lense model, but the frastration I have while not being able to purchase any telephoto lense.

And on that breath, what is the point in taking Tamron 25-300 and typing on it Pentax, when there are plenty of lenses like this on the market ?
I know that they added thier 'SP' but still, there are plenty of lense ranges, which Pentax or 3th companies don't have any answer. Pitty...

Regards,
Bright
10-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
Not my intention to divert this thread... but I am wondering why Pentax chose this particular focal length range (50-135) f/2.8 when there seems to be such a huge demand for a 70-200 f/2.8 range ? I am slightly confused about this but considering the crop factor, wouldn't the 50-135 have almost the same FOV as a film lens 70-200? Is there some other difference that I am missing - perhaps the 50-135 lens although having the same FOV as 70-200, does not have the same magnification?

Thanks
(a newcomer to photography here)
You are correct. The Pentax DA* 50-135 is indeed the 1.5x crop factor replacement for the popular 70-210mm/80-200mm tele zooms in 35mm film format. The FOV are about similar and make for a very versatile focal range. I find the traditional 70-210mm range a little long with the crop factor (using a Tokina AF 70-210 f/4.5). It has become approx 100-300mm in 35mm format and isn't very useful if you need to shoot a small group of people.

I guess many who look for a 70-210mm f/2.8 have grown accustomed to the narrower FOV arising from the crop factor. Plus SR make hand holding on the long end dead easy.

I used to use the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 on film almost daily many years ago and was very familiar with the angle of view it offered but it was simply a bit too long when I used it on the D70. Sold it.
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #15
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You are correct. The Pentax DA* 50-135 is indeed the 1.5x crop factor replacement for the popular 70-210mm/80-200mm tele zooms in 35mm film format. The FOV are about similar and make for a very versatile focal range. I find the traditional 70-210mm range a little long with the crop factor (using a Tokina AF 70-210 f/4.5). It has become approx 100-300mm in 35mm format and isn't very useful if you need to shoot a small group of people.

I guess many who look for a 70-210mm f/2.8 have grown accustomed to the narrower FOV arising from the crop factor. Plus SR make hand holding on the long end dead easy.

I used to use the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 on film almost daily many years ago and was very familiar with the angle of view it offered but it was simply a bit too long when I used it on the D70. Sold it.
Thanks - that clarifies it for me.