Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sharper at f2? DA*55/1.4, FA31, FA43, 50/1.2, 50/1.7, 55/1.8, 58/1.4 Nokton, Sigma 50/1.4.

going for the Zeiss, although sharp, is more of a preference and have that certain look that you look for. although the 50mm f2 macro planar is consistently sharp all through out, it is just not fast. personally, I would just advice you to get the Sigma 50 or DA*55 since both are sharp wide open, fastest aperture AF duo and have the benefit of AF for the same price of that of other manual focus fast and sharp 50mm lenses.
Adding FA35/2, even sharper than FA43 at f2

02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
FA 50 2.8 macro and the A 50 2.8 macro are the sharpest Pentax lenses I've shot, and the Sigma 70 macro possibly the sharpest overall.

The little M/A 50 1.7 is incredible for the money, also.

Stopped sown to f/2.8, the FA 43ltd can cut a hole in spacetime, and the DA 40 is right there also.

Lots of lenses are very, very sharp... past a certain point, sharpness doesn't matter, and you start to notice things like distortion and bokeh (and size) as the differentiators.

well, we can add the Sigma 150 very soon. although for $400 more than the NON-OS version. yikes. but who would complain? it's better than nothing.
02-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
The Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 is the one to beat.

Critirea:
Price ☑
Natural*focal length ☑
Speed*☑
Sharpness*☑
Color reproduction*☑
Micro-contrast ☑
3d pop*☑
Portability ☑
Final*result*☑
I don't think its pure sharpness exceeds the 50mm F/2.8, but the more I use it, the more I agree that it is second. The comparisons some of us did to the very sharp DA40 were instructive.
02-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #34

The Ultron is superior!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't think its pure sharpness exceeds the 50mm F/2.8, but the more I use it, the more I agree that it is second. The comparisons some of us did to the very sharp DA40 were instructive.
The Ultron is faster, smaller, and can produce the elusive 3d pop. The Pentax don't do that.

I also like the more natural color reproduction and micro-contrast on the Ultron. As for sharpness and resolution, last I checked, the Ultron's numbers were literally off the chart. See result at f4: (http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_ultron_40_2/mtf.gif)

Ultimately it is a subjective call. One either likes the final result of one lens over the other, or not. And I really like the Ultron.

Last edited by mika.; 02-28-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Url
02-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter

The Ultron is faster, smaller, and can produce the elusive 3d pop. The Pentax don't do that.

I also like the more natural color reproduction and micro-contrast on the Ultron. As for sharpness and resolution, last I checked, the Ultron's numbers were literally off the chart. See result at f4: (http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_ultron_40_2/mtf.gif)

Ultimately it is a subjective call. One either likes the final result of one lens over the other, or not. And I really like the Ultron.
The DFA 50 macro can be almost clinical in its rendition, but its macro performance is amazing. The better comparison would be between the FA43 and the Ultron. I've seen quite a few FA43 photos here that had the 3d effect and AF to boot. I own the Ultron and am extremely happy with it, so I probably won't be springing for the FA43 any time soon, but I find its rendition more like what I've seen from the FA43 than the DFA 50 macro.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-28-2011 at 08:32 AM.
02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #36

The DFA 50 macro is almost clinical in its rendition, but its macro performance is amazing. The better comparison would be between the FA43 and the Ultron. I've seen quite a few FA43 photos here that had the 3d effect and AF to boot. I own the Ultron and am extremely happy with it, so I probably won't be springing for the FA43 any time soon, but I find its rendition more like what I've seen from the FA43 than the DFA 50 macro.
The Ultron other advantage over the DFA 50 macro is its 40mm focal length. Given the 1.5x crop factor on the Pentax dslrs, the 40mm focal length is, in my opinion anyway, the more "natural" focal length. Also, mechanically, the tactile feel and damping on the Ultron's focus ring is second to none. I have a collection of over 50 lenses of all makes, and the Ultron beats them all -- this includes my Leica lenses.
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #37

auto-focus sucks!

and AF to boot
Bah!

Auto-focus is EXTREMELY overrated. In most cases, auto-focus is completely superfluous, and one can even argue, deleterious. This is especially so in the wide, normal, and short-telephoto focal ranges.
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Bah!

Auto-focus is EXTREMELY overrated. In most cases, auto-focus is completely superfluous, and one can even argue, deleterious. This is especially so in the wide, normal, and short-telephoto focal ranges.
overrated or not, no one can deny it is a luxury to use.

02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
overrated or not, no one can deny it is a luxury to use.
I really appreciate AF when I'm using my other hand to balance on something.
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I really appreciate AF when I'm using my other hand to balance on something.
Or when I had a broken left clavicle.
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter

The Ultron other advantage over the DFA 50 macro is its 40mm focal length. Given the 1.5x crop factor on the Pentax dslrs, the 40mm focal length is, in my opinion anyway, the more "natural" focal length. Also, mechanically, the tactile feel and damping on the Ultron's focus ring is second to none. I have a collection of over 50 lenses of all makes, and the Ultron beats them all -- this includes my Leica lenses.
I agree about the feel. It has me wishing I bought some more beforfe Cosina stopped making them for KA. They'll get (more) expensive about time I get the money for any more of them.

Funny, I use the 40mm FL most on both film and APS-c, even though the FOV is different.
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #42

It has me wishing I bought some more beforfe Cosina stopped making them for KA.
I hope they reverse that decision. They make some very fine lenses, and at fairly reasonable prices. Pentax is making a strong comeback, and their offerings are in many ways superior to the competition. It's only a matter of time before word gets out and market share increases to reflect this.
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #43
Site Supporter

I hope they reverse that decision. They make some very fine lenses, and at fairly reasonable prices. Pentax is making a strong comeback, and their offerings are in many ways superior to the competition. It's only a matter of time before word gets out and market share increases to reflect this.
My Cosina made 180mm/F4 lens has some fancy-pants name called Voightlander. It is happily making friends with my LX. They like sharing a roll of Neopan. It's a very nice lens. If it sells better because people will shell out money for a "Voightlander" but won't buy something as pedestrian as a "Cosina", then I just want to say good on the company.

The sharpest Pentax brand lenses are any and all of the macros. Ain't nuthin' sharper for lenses made by Pentax. Period.

The 50mm and 100mm macros can cut diamonds, especially the older FA50/2.8 and F/FA 100/2.8. The sharpness and rendering of the FA 200 macro is like watching a tiger stalking through the landscape - graceful as a butterfly, yet flowing with unbridled muscular power.

I haven't used the DA35 macro but all reports suggest it is superbly sharp as well.

Sharpness isn't everything. It's only the start. There's contrast, color rendering, bokeh amongst other things.

Last edited by tranq78; 02-28-2011 at 10:56 PM.
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #44

Funny, I use the 40mm FL most on both film and APS-c, even though the FOV is different.
Gene, I just came across your review of the Ultron. Looks like we're pretty much in agreement. Although, giving the lens a 10 out of 10, I think, is rather miserly.
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Got to mention a couple of "cheapies" - Sigma 30/1.4 and Samyang 14/1.28.

The Sigma is razor sharp in the centre after f4 and the Samyang is razor-sharp across the frame after f4-f5.6.