Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
sharper at f2? DA*55/1.4, FA31, FA43, 50/1.2, 50/1.7, 55/1.8, 58/1.4 Nokton, Sigma 50/1.4.

going for the Zeiss, although sharp, is more of a preference and have that certain look that you look for. although the 50mm f2 macro planar is consistently sharp all through out, it is just not fast. personally, I would just advice you to get the Sigma 50 or DA*55 since both are sharp wide open, fastest aperture AF duo and have the benefit of AF for the same price of that of other manual focus fast and sharp 50mm lenses.
Adding FA35/2, even sharper than FA43 at f2

02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
FA 50 2.8 macro and the A 50 2.8 macro are the sharpest Pentax lenses I've shot, and the Sigma 70 macro possibly the sharpest overall.

The little M/A 50 1.7 is incredible for the money, also.

Stopped sown to f/2.8, the FA 43ltd can cut a hole in spacetime, and the DA 40 is right there also.

Lots of lenses are very, very sharp... past a certain point, sharpness doesn't matter, and you start to notice things like distortion and bokeh (and size) as the differentiators.

.
well, we can add the Sigma 150 very soon. although for $400 more than the NON-OS version. yikes. but who would complain? it's better than nothing.
02-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #33
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
The Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 is the one to beat.

Critirea:
Price ☑
Natural*focal length ☑
Speed*☑
Sharpness*☑
Color reproduction*☑
Micro-contrast ☑
3d pop*☑
Portability ☑
Final*result*☑
I don't think its pure sharpness exceeds the 50mm F/2.8, but the more I use it, the more I agree that it is second. The comparisons some of us did to the very sharp DA40 were instructive.
02-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #34
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
The Ultron is superior!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I don't think its pure sharpness exceeds the 50mm F/2.8, but the more I use it, the more I agree that it is second. The comparisons some of us did to the very sharp DA40 were instructive.
The Ultron is faster, smaller, and can produce the elusive 3d pop. The Pentax don't do that.

I also like the more natural color reproduction and micro-contrast on the Ultron. As for sharpness and resolution, last I checked, the Ultron's numbers were literally off the chart. See result at f4: (http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_ultron_40_2/mtf.gif)

Ultimately it is a subjective call. One either likes the final result of one lens over the other, or not. And I really like the Ultron.


Last edited by mika.; 02-28-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Url
02-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
The Ultron is faster, smaller, and can produce the elusive 3d pop. The Pentax don't do that.

I also like the more natural color reproduction and micro-contrast on the Ultron. As for sharpness and resolution, last I checked, the Ultron's numbers were literally off the chart. See result at f4: (http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_ultron_40_2/mtf.gif)

Ultimately it is a subjective call. One either likes the final result of one lens over the other, or not. And I really like the Ultron.
The DFA 50 macro can be almost clinical in its rendition, but its macro performance is amazing. The better comparison would be between the FA43 and the Ultron. I've seen quite a few FA43 photos here that had the 3d effect and AF to boot. I own the Ultron and am extremely happy with it, so I probably won't be springing for the FA43 any time soon, but I find its rendition more like what I've seen from the FA43 than the DFA 50 macro.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-28-2011 at 08:32 AM.
02-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #36
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The DFA 50 macro is almost clinical in its rendition, but its macro performance is amazing. The better comparison would be between the FA43 and the Ultron. I've seen quite a few FA43 photos here that had the 3d effect and AF to boot. I own the Ultron and am extremely happy with it, so I probably won't be springing for the FA43 any time soon, but I find its rendition more like what I've seen from the FA43 than the DFA 50 macro.
The Ultron other advantage over the DFA 50 macro is its 40mm focal length. Given the 1.5x crop factor on the Pentax dslrs, the 40mm focal length is, in my opinion anyway, the more "natural" focal length. Also, mechanically, the tactile feel and damping on the Ultron's focus ring is second to none. I have a collection of over 50 lenses of all makes, and the Ultron beats them all -- this includes my Leica lenses.
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
auto-focus sucks!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
and AF to boot
Bah!

Auto-focus is EXTREMELY overrated. In most cases, auto-focus is completely superfluous, and one can even argue, deleterious. This is especially so in the wide, normal, and short-telephoto focal ranges.
02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
Bah!

Auto-focus is EXTREMELY overrated. In most cases, auto-focus is completely superfluous, and one can even argue, deleterious. This is especially so in the wide, normal, and short-telephoto focal ranges.
overrated or not, no one can deny it is a luxury to use.

02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
overrated or not, no one can deny it is a luxury to use.
I really appreciate AF when I'm using my other hand to balance on something.
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #40
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I really appreciate AF when I'm using my other hand to balance on something.
Or when I had a broken left clavicle.
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
The Ultron other advantage over the DFA 50 macro is its 40mm focal length. Given the 1.5x crop factor on the Pentax dslrs, the 40mm focal length is, in my opinion anyway, the more "natural" focal length. Also, mechanically, the tactile feel and damping on the Ultron's focus ring is second to none. I have a collection of over 50 lenses of all makes, and the Ultron beats them all -- this includes my Leica lenses.
I agree about the feel. It has me wishing I bought some more beforfe Cosina stopped making them for KA. They'll get (more) expensive about time I get the money for any more of them.

Funny, I use the 40mm FL most on both film and APS-c, even though the FOV is different.
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #42
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It has me wishing I bought some more beforfe Cosina stopped making them for KA.
I hope they reverse that decision. They make some very fine lenses, and at fairly reasonable prices. Pentax is making a strong comeback, and their offerings are in many ways superior to the competition. It's only a matter of time before word gets out and market share increases to reflect this.
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #43
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
I hope they reverse that decision. They make some very fine lenses, and at fairly reasonable prices. Pentax is making a strong comeback, and their offerings are in many ways superior to the competition. It's only a matter of time before word gets out and market share increases to reflect this.
My Cosina made 180mm/F4 lens has some fancy-pants name called Voightlander. It is happily making friends with my LX. They like sharing a roll of Neopan. It's a very nice lens. If it sells better because people will shell out money for a "Voightlander" but won't buy something as pedestrian as a "Cosina", then I just want to say good on the company.

The sharpest Pentax brand lenses are any and all of the macros. Ain't nuthin' sharper for lenses made by Pentax. Period.

The 50mm and 100mm macros can cut diamonds, especially the older FA50/2.8 and F/FA 100/2.8. The sharpness and rendering of the FA 200 macro is like watching a tiger stalking through the landscape - graceful as a butterfly, yet flowing with unbridled muscular power.

I haven't used the DA35 macro but all reports suggest it is superbly sharp as well.

Sharpness isn't everything. It's only the start. There's contrast, color rendering, bokeh amongst other things.

Last edited by tranq78; 02-28-2011 at 10:56 PM.
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #44
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Funny, I use the 40mm FL most on both film and APS-c, even though the FOV is different.
Gene, I just came across your review of the Ultron. Looks like we're pretty much in agreement. Although, giving the lens a 10 out of 10, I think, is rather miserly.
03-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member
DanielT74's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,377
Got to mention a couple of "cheapies" - Sigma 30/1.4 and Samyang 14/1.28.

The Sigma is razor sharp in the centre after f4 and the Samyang is razor-sharp across the frame after f4-f5.6.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharpest lens in Pentax Mount HoBykoYan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 06-30-2010 01:56 PM
Sharpest Lens you own? Eagle_Friends Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 176 05-14-2010 05:37 AM
Which fast (better than F2) AF lens is sharpest at f1.7. pcarfan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 10-01-2009 02:35 PM
Pentax 67 Sharpest Lens desertscape Pentax Medium Format 6 06-07-2009 05:58 AM
Sharpest lens, any brand, ever? falconeye Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 48 03-24-2009 04:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top