Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They certainly look more similar than different. I get the impression that the ultron is slightly sharper, while the DA 40 has slightly more contrast. This is, of course, after much squinting. The fact that the Ultron is f2 makes it a very different lens overall (and the nicer manual-focus).

02-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
They certainly look more similar than different. I get the impression that the ultron is slightly sharper, while the DA 40 has slightly more contrast. This is, of course, after much squinting. The fact that the Ultron is f2 makes it a very different lens overall (and the nicer manual-focus).
To my eyes, the difference in sharpness between the two is insignificant. The center crops were indistinguishable, and the corner crops I posted both showed about the same slight amount of softening. The DA40 has a warmer color rendition and the Ultron has a very usable F2. In fact, its F2 is softer than 2.8 at the corners, but not hugely so. I could have been this much off parallel to this old fence.

Due to my sloppiness, the left knot in this 100% corner crop on the VL at 2.0 is actually a tad further into the corner than the 2.8 crop.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-21-2011 at 07:43 AM.
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #18

Original Poster
Flowers

First attempt at close-up test.

It was really windy, so it's kind of a fail for close-up comparison. I've included the entire frame instead of cropping, so maybe this just turned into a bokeh comparison at different apertures comparison

Will retry once the wind dies down.

Shot in PEF, converted with CS5, Liveview 10x Manual Focusing, no PP

Last edited by dasuhu; 02-21-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: comparison
02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote

It was really windy, so it's kind of a fail for close-up comparison. I've included the entire frame instead of cropping, so maybe this just turned in a bokeh at different apertures comparison

this isn't close-up and even more difficult to draw some conclusion.

02-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #20

Original Poster

It was really windy, so it's kind of a fail for close-up comparison. I've included the entire frame instead of cropping, so maybe this just turned in a bokeh comparison at different apertures comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
this isn't close-up and even more difficult to draw some conclusion.
I acknowledge that it's not a real close-up test in my previous post, due to the wind mucking everything up (I edited my original post for clarity). If I moved any closer, the DOF would have shrunk and the flower would not have stayed in focus from shot to shot for precise comparison purposes. I meant to say these shots are just for a cursory comparison of bokeh at different apertures, but I goofed. Definitely need to proof my posts before submitting.

Last edited by dasuhu; 02-21-2011 at 06:21 PM.
02-21-2011, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster

02-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

this is much more clearer. infinity focus does favor the Ultron.

02-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #23

Original Poster
Short Focus Distance Test

Focused on that weird dimple on the orange (center column, and about 3/4 of the way down in crop shots). I think the focus is just a bit off on the DA40 shots. I tried my best with Liveview 10x, but it's so tough. DA LTD MF ring doesn't help either. Here's my best attempt at a close focus comparison, albeit with caveats.

Test temporarily taken down to redo

See Walnut Test Below as redo for Short Focus Test

Last edited by dasuhu; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My informal tests confirm a definite advantage for the VL at large distances. I hesitate to say infirnity, because "infinity" focus appears to begin pretty quickly on the DA40.

These cranes were about 100 yards away. Taken at F8. 1/200 (VL) and 1/400 (DA)

Full shot

100% crops
VL 40 Ultron

DA40 Ltd

I went through multiple comparison shots, and the results were similar, though not as dramatic as the birds.

Full at F8

VL

DA

I'd say my results at infinity were very similar to Daniel's.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-23-2011 at 09:53 AM.
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I gotta get an Ultron. Especially now that my LX just arrived
02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I gotta get an Ultron. Especially now that my LX just arrived
My LX and MX were the reason I bought one. The focus is like buttah.

I do wonder if some of the difference between the two lenses at infinity have to do with the greater precision of focus on the Ultron. There are very few degrees between 3 meters and the infinity stop on the DA40, and the infinity stop is past infinity on most AF lenses. The Ultron offers a good deal more room to be precise in the focus around infinity.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-23-2011 at 09:58 AM.
02-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

While I think it's clear that the ultron is sharper (esp. at huge magnifications and large distances), I don't think the orange test is very fair - looks like the point of focus is different for the two lenses.
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
While I think it's clear that the ultron is sharper (esp. at huge magnifications and large distances), I don't think the orange test is very fair - looks like the point of focus is different for the two lenses.
I will attempt to redo the orange test...although I do think it is fair to say with the shorter focus throw of the DA LTD, the chances of getting really, really precise focus is a lot less likely than with the Ultron, imho. One slight touch at the DA LTD focus ring when at minimum focus distance drastically alters the focus plane.
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Yeah I don't think that it's worth doing the test over again - it's good work overall, but slightly misleading.

I think when it comes down to it, the strength of the DA 40 lies in it's snappy autofocus. That's what I love about it. If you don't care for AF and prefer manual focus the ultron is overall a superior lens.
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I will attempt to redo the orange test...although I do think it is fair to say with the shorter focus throw of the DA LTD, the chances of getting really, really precise focus is a lot less likely than with the Ultron, imho. One slight touch at the DA LTD focus ring when at minimum focus distance drastically alters the focus plane.
Actually, I think that is true to some extent throughout. My sense of my tests was that there are fine distinctions of focus that I was making on the Ultron that just weren't possible on the DA40. The trees behind the cranes showed a difference in sharpness between the two lenses, but not as pronounced as in the birds.