Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Sigma 70-200 HSM II vs. 70-200 HSM II OS

Hello Guys

I think i do need your help

I already ordered a DA*300 for my K5 for a fully sealed perfect Killer-Pentax-Combo

But i like the fast AF-Speed of the Sigma 70-200 HSM II very much.
Now some weeks ago the Sigma has been upgraded with an OS but almost doubled the price here in Europe despite that i dont "really" need an OS on 200mm i asked myself which one is the better lens?

Is the new OS-Version faster or better build, sharper, less CAs etc. ?
Does anyone know that ? Because atm i can get the "old" one used for around 500 maybe a bit less and i would not dare to pay almost three times more for an unnecessary OS.

Hope someony can help me....

PS:

The Telephoto Review with the Tamron an Sigma a week ago indicated that the OS-Version seems to be better in an "optical" way.

Thanks guys !

Regards Mehlsack

02-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the HSM non-OS Version of the lens and I adore it. The look, the feel, the action and the photos, all fantastic. It focusses fast and the quick shift focus is great.

Im running it on my new K5 and I've adjusted the focus.

Here's a photo I took at 1/500S, 145mm ISO 540 f 9.5
Name:  John Eddie.jpg
Views: 3774
Size:  107.6 KB

Here's a 100% crop of his pocket. You can count the threads in his shirt.
Name:  100% Crop.jpg
Views: 3034
Size:  346.3 KB

I don't know why anyone would pay practically double for OS internal to the lens.

be well,
joe
02-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for this fast response, i got some pictures of the "old" one by myself (somewhere deep inside some sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-folders)

but isn't f9,5 a bit to much, or do you used it for the DoF ?

Hopefully we can find a OS-version owner somewhere here
02-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
thanks for this fast response, i got some pictures of the "old" one by myself (somewhere deep inside some sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-folders)

but isn't f9,5 a bit to much, or do you used it for the DoF ?
I was just getting used to the camera and got a little lost with my settings. I almost didn't post them because I had no idea why I'd used them. There was plenty of light so ISO 80 would have been easy to use at a larger aperture without sacrificing dof. Like I said, it was a new body and I was lost but at ISO 540 the photo is even more impressive from an image resolution point of view. My K10 would be showing noise by 540.

02-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It is stated that the newer OS lens has a fully renewed optical formula - proven by the fact that its construction is different and that it no longer does 1m minimum focus.

Owning the HSM II non Os I can say that it in fact gets softer below 2m and above 150mm. But stopping down to f/5.6 eliminates pretty much all of these weaknesses.

I'm pretty sure the newer lens will be better optically than the Macro - no compromises necessary.
But at 3 times the cost paired with the weird new contro layout (zoom ring at the front, action clockwise, focusing ring strangely narrow) I don't think this is worth it.

Unfortunately prior to the Macro I and II, there was no HSM ersion of that lens as far as I know.
Which is a pitty if you don't need the close focus since the pre Macro lens is proven to be sharper overall as well.

My advice: get the Macro HSM II: it may not be trhe best lens possible but for the price you can't complain.
To me it is perfectly useable up to 135mm at f/3.5 (normal distances).

Bei Interesse auch PMs auf Deutsch und massig Bildbeweise auf DeviantArt.