Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Can you guys offer any insight on the different versions of the LensAlign? I think I was only aware of the $80 version, but now see that there is the $180 Pro version with an "enumerator" (which is what, exactly?), and a $250 Pro Plus version that adds the 47" long ruler. I'm guessing that would be the one to use for my 100-300, but can that lens be done on the others? Even the cheapest one says there is a 24" long ruler option (though I don't see it listed at B&H). Would that be enough to do my long lens?
I think that all that you need to know is on their website. I use LensAlign Pro. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call the manufacturer. I have spoken personally with the owner, Michael Tapes, on two occasions. He is very helpful and honest.

Rob

04-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No mas.

Well, I finally gave up on the DA*55/1.4. After testing 5 different copies, I was unable to find one that focused accurately and consistently on my K-7, and one of them even failed on a K-5. It is hard for me to believe that my experience is unique, so I want it to serve as a cautionary tale to those who are thinking of purchasing this lens. Test, test and test some more until you are satisfied that the autofocus works properly.

The good news is that I got a FA 43/1.9 Limited instead. Now that is a spectacular lens. It is sharp at f1.9, and it just keeps getting sharper all the way up to f5.6. Gorgeous rendering--crystalline and smooth--more pleasing to my eye than the DA*55. The focal length is a bit shorter than what I wanted for portraiture, but I am quite confident that it will serve my purposes. Oh, I should also mention that it focuses like a champ.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
04-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #63
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Congrats, that is a very nice lens.
04-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Well, I finally gave up on the DA*55/1.4. After testing 5 different copies, I was unable to find one that focused accurately and consistently on my K-7, and one of them even failed on a K-5. It is hard for me to believe that my experience is unique, so I want it to serve as a cautionary tale to those thinking of purchasing this lens. Test, test and test some more until you are satisfied that the autofocus works properly.

The good news is that I got a FA 43/1.9 Limited instead. Now that is a spectacular lens. It is sharp at f1.9, and it just keeps getting sharper all the way up to f5.6. Gorgeous rendering--crystalline and smooth--more pleasing to my eye than the DA*55. The focal length is a bit shorter than what I wanted for portraiture, but I am quite confident that it will serve my purposes. Oh, I should also mention that it focuses like a champ.

Rob
Well, I don't have a unkind word for the 43. It is a jewel of a lens. Really sorry to hear about all these problems with the 55. Not just for you personally, but in general. Not sure what's going on there, but I'm really glad I got a good one.

04-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #65
Veteran Member

The 43mm is a great lens. Sorry to hear your experience with the 55mm. I think anyone would agree that is an over-the-top negative Pentax experience.

Of all the lenses I've bought, I think I worried most about the DA* 55mm. I paid a bit more than internet price to buy it locally at a store so that I could try it out and make sure it matched my expectations. I've never put it through any official measuring like you did, but I tested it a lot on a tripod and the focus seems great to my eyes. I love that the SDM is quiet (though that's near the bottom of my list of needs for the type of photos I take) but I REALLY wish it could do screw-mount focus as a back up... I think I'll always worry about that a bit. But, so far so good and keeping my fingers crossed.

I think the 43mm will help some to forgot your troubles with the 55mm. Best of luck to you in the future!
04-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
The 43mm is a great lens. Sorry to hear your experience with the 55mm. I think anyone would agree that is an over-the-top negative Pentax experience.

Of all the lenses I've bought, I think I worried most about the DA* 55mm. I paid a bit more than internet price to buy it locally at a store so that I could try it out and make sure it matched my expectations. I've never put it through any official measuring like you did, but I tested it a lot on a tripod and the focus seems great to my eyes. I love that the SDM is quiet (though that's near the bottom of my list of needs for the type of photos I take) but I REALLY wish it could do screw-mount focus as a back up... I think I'll always worry about that a bit. But, so far so good and keeping my fingers crossed.

I think the 43mm will help some to forgot your troubles with the 55mm. Best of luck to you in the future!
I honestly don't think I've ever heard of SDM failing on a DA*55. The issues with that lens have all been from the outset with either focusing errors or de-centering. If you've got a good copy, as I do, rejoice and enjoy.
09-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #67
Veteran Member

DA* 55mm f/1.4 is just awesome

A quick black and white test shot of my black and white dog at night (K-5, 1/50 sec, f/2 at ISO 3200). Focusing seems spot on.
The silent SDM motor certainly didn't catch much attention from his big ears.

09-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I too have found the 55 has very accurate focus.