Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3 Lenses to choose from.

Thanks to forum people I've narrowed my macro lens choices to these 3 for now.---Sigma 105---Tammy 90 and the Pentax 100mm. My biggest criteria is sharpness so help me pull the trigger.--charliezap. ps--is there another dark horse that could be in the running?

02-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Which Pentax 100mm? I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3. Just decide what you want to spend and have at it. You can always resell and try something else.

02-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good point, Jeff. I've narrowed my choices down to those three as well, except I won't include the DFA100 WR among the Pentax offerings. I want an aperture ring.
02-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Which Pentax 100mm? I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3. Just decide what you want to spend and have at it. You can always resell and try something else.

I'm thinking of the DFA100 WR ---charliezap

02-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
As long as you don't go to an older film body, I think you will be happy with it.
02-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No macro has poor optics, but I would just get the latest Pentax. Better built, better resale value, period.
02-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As long as you don't go to an older film body, I think you will be happy with it.
It can be used on the ZX type film bodies that will control aperture as our digital cameras do but if you want to use it on a Manual film body, f2.8 all the time. I have a ZX-M and ZX-L for that reason. You can get the non WR version that to my understanding, does have an aperture ring.

02-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have never handled anything but the Sigma. I love the build quality of the Sigma EX DG lenses.

02-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter

It can be used on the ZX type film bodies that will control aperture as our digital cameras do but if you want to use it on a Manual film body, f2.8 all the time. I have a ZX-M and ZX-L for that reason. You can get the non WR version that to my understanding, does have an aperture ring.

True. Perhaps we have a different understanding of "older." In my world, it is from before the current millenium.

I have a ZX-L also for compatibility, but, based on what everyone says about the plastic gears, I find myself holding my breath. The Super Program is the only "older" body that adequately uses the lenses without aperture rings for me. Others from the late 80s and 90s will only use them in program mode. I prefer AV if I use exposure automation.

I don't know if they still make the non-WR version, but that is the one that interests me most.
02-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You would love the Pentax D FA 100mm WR... It's a stunning lens!
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I don't know if they still produce the non WR version or not either. You may have to go used or NOS to get one. Pentax still shows it on their product pages but (of course) you cannot buy one directly from Pentax USA.

You're right about program mode on film cameras. My MZ-S does not support Av mode without an aperture ring. I haven't had a super program since I bought the lens.

02-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I don't know if they still produce the non WR version or not either. You may have to go used or NOS to get one. Pentax still shows it on their product pages but (of course) you cannot buy one directly from Pentax USA.

You're right about program mode on film cameras. My MZ-S does not support Av mode without an aperture ring. I haven't had a super program since I bought the lens.

Now that I think about it, you can't really use the Superprogram in AV mode (except with flash) without an aperture ring, either, but at least you can use it in TV mode and have some indirect control over aperture. With the P series, Pentax removed that ability in manual focus cameras for a decade or so. The best solution is to find lenses with aperture rings. If I can't find one from Pentax, I'll go with the Sigma or Tamron.
02-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Now that I think about it, you can't really use the Superprogram in AV mode (except with flash) without an aperture ring, either, but at least you can use it in TV mode and have some indirect control over aperture. With the P series, Pentax removed that ability in manual focus cameras for a decade or so. The best solution is to find lenses with aperture rings. If I can't find one from Pentax, I'll go with the Sigma or Tamron.
At 12 inch distance for 1:1 (or so) it isn't going to matter much. It comes down to rendering preference, how much you want to pay, and things like that. I went with the 100WR because it is readily supported by the Pentax AF160 flash (I think the non WR is too). I also like the tiny size of it. It isn't a whole lot bigger than the FA50 in terms of body size (focused at infinity). I know you and several others here use film cameras quite a bit. For the amount of film I actually shoot these days, it's a moot point for me (having the aperture ring). It's easier just to pay $20 or $30 for a camera that will work with out one.

02-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sharpness are all great. I'd say buy the cheapest one you could find.