Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Musing: what to ask for 50y bday?

Of course, I'll ask for a lens (or two) for such a big birthday, coming up in December.

But what?

Here's what I got now: K100D (and program plus, and zx-10), the 16-45 f/4, a smc-a 28/2.8, an old AF Tamron 70-210 (decent enough for the use)

What I'm yearning to do better:

- Kitten photos indoors. Ie. fast lens, decently close focus/mag factor. The 16-45 is Just Right in the second department, but f/4 is slow. Kittens, people portraits. Things that move.

- small, high quality walk around lens, outdoor both close ups and longer range photos. Again, the 16-45 does well but is a bit large.

- I'd thought of a macro, as I do get into that a bit (plus I take 'through the viewfinder' photos) but one's probably not the highest priority.

I don't think I need another super wide - 28 or 35 or thereabouts on the wide side, and less than 100mm on the long side, is about my speed. I've enjoyed walking around with the 28mm, even peering to focus (and not always succeeding)...

I realize the 50 f/1.4 and/or the 35 f/2 satisfy my requirements pretty well. But you know, this is a lifetime opportunity and so... maybe one of the Limiteds? That 50-135 does intrigue but it's pretty large for what I want. The Sigma 70mm macro also seemed awesome, but again it's damn big - and heavy.

Any ideas for pairings, or even a single lens that suits?

10-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of the limited primes, maybe ? The FA31 f/1.8 and FA77 f/1.8 spring to mind.
10-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if you ever partake in anything like wildlife viewing or sports events, but a tele prime or zoom up around 300mm at f/2.8 or f/4 would be a welcome addition to your lens stable, if so. ...With a f/2.8 being very well suited to use with a TC be it 1.4x, 1.7x or 2x for even more reach.

There's another thought, perhaps the Pentax 1.7x AF TC to widen your options in use of your lenses?
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

50y bday?

10-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oooh that's sweet - 50th and a Takumar to boot.

The teleconverter thing does appeal, but at the moment I'm not into long lenses.

I love the idea of the fast Limiteds, but for the one thing that they don't focus very close - in general - or with such a great magnification factor.

But maybe the 35/2 + 70/2.4 pair has possibilities... Hmmm, what would go with the 50/1.4?
10-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

how about another 50 years??
with that amount of time you could acquire quite a nice arsenal of lenses..
10-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ask for a large (at least 13") inkjet printer and take your work to another level.

10-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The limiteds would be perfect for what you want. The 31mm is considered one of Pentax's best but pretty close to the 28 you already have, plus quite expensive. So what would I suggest? 35mm f2, smoking lens and those that have compared the 2 say it's very close to the 31 at about 1/3 the price. I love mine. Choice 2 would have to be the 43mm f1.9 Limited. Beautiful lens. Sharp at basically all stops and wonderful colour. 3rd would be the 77mm f1.8 Limited. Of the lenses I've used, this is the best of the bunch. Might be a little long for indoor stuff but a nice 'outdoor lens or larger rooms.

The only toss up would be the FA 5omm f 1.4. Sharp fast very reasonable price and very good colour characteristics.

Why these lenses? Because you have film bodies and all are full frame and will work on both. The DA21,40 and 70 are good lenses but I think the slightly older Limited's are a bit better. Just for a test I bought a 40mm Limited (pictured above as a Tak) and it's not as good as the 43 in any way. I used it for a couple of days, did some head to head testing and frankly it couldn't come close to the 43mm.

There are other choices of course but I tried to keep your comments in mind. If size wasn't a concern I would highly recommend the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di (full frame version). Fast almost as sharp as a prime and very nice colour as well although not quite as warm as a Pentax. But for $350 or so there's not much that can compare that I can see other than the new DA* 16-50 but that's not full frame.

That's my 2 cents and Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-17-2007 at 03:56 AM.
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Forum Member

Holy crap! Is that camera just a modified k10d? Or something new? It looks really sweet, reminds me of the classic style.
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_Watso Quote
Holy crap! Is that camera just a modified k10d? Or something new? It looks really sweet, reminds me of the classic style.
you must not have seen the press release back in June...
Pentax 50th Anniversary Asahi Pentax DSLR: Digital Photography Review

not worth getting yourself worked-up over it unfortunately, as there are no plans to release it...
QuoteQuote:
Note that there are no plans to put this camera into production, rather it is a celebration of Pentax's 50th anniversary and their long contribution to SLR photography.
10-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First of all Nesster, Happy birthday.

Based on what you say are your shooting opportunities, and not looking to go super wide, I would suggest the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR DI. It is a superb lens, even has some macro capacity(not 1:1 though.). Very sharp, nice color rendition, and contrast. Very nice bokeh for a zoom also. Performs well wide open. It is also a full frame lens, so it will be usable on your film bodies as well. Cost is less than $400.00.
10-17-2007, 02:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Of course, I'll ask for a lens (or two) for such a big birthday, coming up in December.

But what?

Here's what I got now: K100D (and program plus, and zx-10), the 16-45 f/4, a smc-a 28/2.8, an old AF Tamron 70-210 (decent enough for the use)

What I'm yearning to do better:

- Kitten photos indoors. Ie. fast lens, decently close focus/mag factor. The 16-45 is Just Right in the second department, but f/4 is slow. Kittens, people portraits. Things that move.

- small, high quality walk around lens, outdoor both close ups and longer range photos. Again, the 16-45 does well but is a bit large.

- I'd thought of a macro, as I do get into that a bit (plus I take 'through the viewfinder' photos) but one's probably not the highest priority.

I don't think I need another super wide - 28 or 35 or thereabouts on the wide side, and less than 100mm on the long side, is about my speed. I've enjoyed walking around with the 28mm, even peering to focus (and not always succeeding)...

I realize the 50 f/1.4 and/or the 35 f/2 satisfy my requirements pretty well. But you know, this is a lifetime opportunity and so... maybe one of the Limiteds? That 50-135 does intrigue but it's pretty large for what I want. The Sigma 70mm macro also seemed awesome, but again it's damn big - and heavy.

Any ideas for pairings, or even a single lens that suits?
....mate, the above suggestions are all good ones and very practical.....I was thinking more along the lines of a 35 yr old blonde........

Happy Birthday.
10-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

Well, Id get a 540 flash instead. flash is your friend, as long as you know how to use it properly... f4 is no problem with a flash attatched. a 35 f2 or 50 1.4 on top of that and you have both a fast lens and a flash. alternatively a tamron 28-70 for affordable f2.8 quality.
10-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ohh.. thank you for the excellent suggestions and comments! The b-day is still 2 months away, this is just so I can dream and prep the family properly

PeterAM - excellent suggestion, I already have the Epson 1800 and love it.

Peter Zack - Just the sort of stuff I wanted to hear! That 31mm does appeal, I just wonder if the 43mm which I also find appealing is too close, perhaps then the 77 or 70. I mean what the heck, the rebates are good.

That zoom does look awesome, however I'm really looking for something light and small.

GWB ~ LOL yes that would be the best in its way...

and ~ Yes I thought of lens + flash as a possible way to go. Has a lot of appeal.

I'd in a sense be reliving the mid-80's when I bought the Olympus OM2s with 50/1.8, then got depressed that it wasn't 'special' enough and bought the super zoom of its day, the Tamron SP 35-80 2.8-38 adaptall, and then the T32 flash. That kept me happy through the 90's. I still use the equipment, the Tamron's on it's 3rd adaptall (for the K-A).
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You could have the best of both worlds with the Tamron and add the flash. That is if you could learn to like the size of the Tamron. It's about twice the size of the 77mm but not too heavy. If it were my wish list the and the Tamron wasn't in the options list, I'd ask for the 43 and 77mm. Particularly if you like your 28mm then the 31mm might not make sense.

with the current rebates those 2 are excellent buys.

here's the 3 of them together and each will work fine on your film bodies as well.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-16-2007 at 08:52 AM.