Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't understand this hard-to-focus talk. Even with my delaminating myopic eyeballs, I have no trouble on my K20D. And with many manual lenses, when in doubt, I just use Catch-In-Focus. I just don't *see* the problem. (Humour intended.) My advice: practice practice practice. And get a KatzEye-type focusing screen.

02-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of links which involve comparison of 50/1.4 and 50/1.7:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/112640-my-lens...on-thread.html

Nifty 50 Shootout on Pentax K-7 (updated 1/22) ERPhotoReview

Hope you find these helpful...
02-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have both but Iīve only had the 1.4 for a few weeks, and havenīt had much chance to use it, never mind to compare it. My initial impressions are good: itīs fairly sharp even wide open, though maybe slightly less than the 1.7. I do feel that the colour is better on the 1.4 though, itīs not all about sharpness. On the other hand I took the 1.7 to Austria last summer & got some fantastic shots with it, some of the best Iīve ever taken. I have yet to test the 1.4 to see if it can give me the same results.

One other thing going for the 1.4 is the stops. The 1.7, after wide open, stops at f/2 then a whole stop to f/2.8. The 1.4 drops a whole stop to f/2, then a half to 2.4, then to 2.8. I like having the f/2.4 available on the 1.4 more than I like having a stop at f/1.7. Thatīs because focusing is so tricky before f/2 anyway, Iīm more likely to use the 2.4 than the 1.7.

The 1.7 is great for traveling though as itīs so small & light. I may sell the 1.7 (though bear in mind I also have the A 1.7, which is optically the same) but then again I might just keep it around, at least until the 1.4 proves itīs worth. FYI, I paid 50GBP for the 1.7 and 80GBP for the 1.4, which is fairly typical. Get the 1.7 if money is an issue, you will not be disappointed.
02-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's another shootout, mainly looking at bokeh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130307-out-foc...a77-fa*85.html

For what it's worth (I have an M50/1.7, but not the 1.4) I think the 50/1.4 is generally the better lens (though they're both very good) - but NOT because it's faster. It seems to be very soft wide open, probably enough to be unusable, so you'd buy it because it's otherwise slightly sharper, and arguably has better bokeh.

02-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
Here's another shootout, mainly looking at bokeh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130307-out-foc...a77-fa*85.html

For what it's worth (I have an M50/1.7, but not the 1.4) I think the 50/1.4 is generally the better lens (though they're both very good) - but NOT because it's faster. It seems to be very soft wide open, probably enough to be unusable, so you'd buy it because it's otherwise slightly sharper, and arguably has better bokeh.
I have both. The 1.4 maybe lacks contrast at 1.4 but I don't think it's particularly softer than the 1.7, and if you get the focusing spot-on (a big 'if') just as useable. They're both challenging to focus at that aperture. My impression is that the 1.4 has slightly better bokeh but there's really very little difference in practice; and that the 1.4 is slightly better at the edges stopped down. I've got both by accident. Knowing what I do, if I had one, I wouldn't bother to get the other. They're both great little lenses.
02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the 1.4. It is a low light monster, it swallows everything.
02-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
get a KatzEye-type focusing screen.
Steep price, loss of spot meter, and all the work involved in getting the screen just right...

meh.
02-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Manual Focusing is excellent on the GH1/GH2, thanks to the EVF, magnification, and in-EVF chimping...

John:

Thank you, very much for the post with the GH2 EVF demo. It sure looks tempting to be able to have complete mastery over manual focus at the most shallow depth of field. BTW, the IQ of the M 50 1.7 looks great on the GH2, perhaps even better than the IQ of my M50 1.7 on the K20d.

02-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
get a KatzEye-type focusing screen.
Steep price, loss of spot meter, and all the work involved in getting the screen just right...
Being a cheap bastard, I got a knock-off a couple years ago. Sorry, I don't remember the brand nor price. I'll check my receipts after I snowplow my way back into my house. But it was no bother to install, it's been no trouble to use, and I haven't lost spot metering. Your mileage may vary.
02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Being a cheap bastard, I got a knock-off a couple years ago. Sorry, I don't remember the brand nor price. I'll check my receipts after I snowplow my way back into my house. But it was no bother to install, it's been no trouble to use, and I haven't lost spot metering. Your mileage may vary.
Same situation here. I purchased a cheap diagonal split prism from Jinfinance on E-bay. No issues with the install aside from my fat fingers, and the spot metering still works and overall the product works as expected. It definitely made it easier to focus manual lenses.
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Same situation here. I purchased a cheap diagonal split prism from Jinfinance on E-bay. No issues with the install aside from my fat fingers, and the spot metering still works and overall the product works as expected. It definitely made it easier to focus manual lenses.
I installed one of these on my K-7. It was just slightly 'off', and did not give precisely accurate focusing wide open at 50mm. Obviously I needed to install (or replace) a shim to slightly reposition the screen. Before I got round to doing it the camera was stolen.

I find catch in focus is not a substitute in very focus-critical situations, although I use it all the time with the aperture stopped down a bit, or with my 28mm M lens.

Tim
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

meh.
just get a bust old ME or ME Super and take the screen out...trim it down to the same dimensions as the screen in your camera, pop it in, off you go. cost of about USD 10. focus is amazing, even with my DA kit zoom in manual mode

still, I'd rather shoot B&W film, if I am taking a quality pic
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Rich:

I owned both lenses, and sold the M 1.4 because it was difficult to focus wide open anyway. Also, the M 1.7 is amazingly sharp, even wide open, and seemed no different than the M 1.4 from f2 down. The M 1.4 fetches twice the price, sometimes three times the price.

I would get the M 1.7 if I were you.

JT
I had the exact same experience.

The A 50 1.7 is VERY good between f1.7 - f2.8.

The 1.4 has better bokeh but good luck focusing it on a digital camera.