Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
List of lenses that work on K7?

I recently purchased a K7 with the kit 18-55WR lens and I'm hoping to purchase a zoom lens to add to my gear. My first choice is the DA*50-135 but it's much too expensive for me at this time. My second choice is the DA 18-135 WR, but again my budget can't quite justify $600 right now. I've been watching eBay closely and from time to time I see some of the older zooms for sale at very reasonable prices (used, of course). Would I be wise to save my money and get what I want or settle for something less expensive that may not function properly with my new dslr and cause this newbie alot of frustration? Is there a listing where I can look up to see if the older lenses are compatible with a k7?

02-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not afraid of doing things manually you can use just about any lens made for any pentax ever.

There are various other mounts that work as well, but I'll keep this simple:

Anything in K-mount: Will mount directly to your camera.

Anything in M42 mount: will require a $15 adapter. ($30 from Pentax)

There is one point of concern when purchasing old lenses: K mount lenses with a Ricoh Pin may become stuck on your camera, maybe even requiring disassembly! A little reading and some easy visual inspections should keep you safe from that though.

Last edited by RXrenesis8; 02-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
02-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

the tamron or sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 are ~$100-$120 and they are pretty decent IQ wise.
02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I second the warning of watch out for any bayonet mounts with a Ricoh pin. They almost ended my K10D career early

02-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rena Quote
Is there a listing where I can look up to see if the older lenses are compatible with a k7?
The lens database at the top of this page. Also, this thread is helpful for older lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
02-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This link is from a sticky in the lens subforum: Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series. It explains the range of Pentax lenses.

Rena, you said you have the 18-55WR already and want to add a zoom. I'm not trying to be an ass but that is already a zoom. Assuming that you want a telephoto with more zoom, I heartily recommend the DA-L 55-300. It is a modern lens 100% compatible with the K7 and includes autofocus.

It is an outstanding lens for the price. You can currently get it for $200 new at Adorama. Here is the direct link 21897 Pentax SMC P-DAL 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens, but please use the Adorama link that Adam has posted elsewhere so PentaxForums gets proper credit.
  • The lens is grey market. Adorama rather than Pentax provides the warranty.
  • The DA-L has more plastic than the regular DA. The build quality is still very good.
  • The DA-L doesn't include a lens hood. The official Pentax hood costs around $45 extra. Or you can find an aftermarket hood on Ebay, or go with a generic screw-on collapsible rubber hood for ~$6.
You might find the DA-L 55-300 used for even less in the marketplace or at Ebay.

P.S. I just noticed you are in Canada. Not sure if ordering from Adorama in the U.S. hits you with exorbitant shipping or customs fees. I think ProDigital 2000's store on Ebay is based in Canada if that helps.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 02-20-2011 at 01:33 PM.
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

See pages 292-294 of the manual. Also, look here: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

02-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are two lists: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
See pages 292-294 of the manual. Also, look here: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Oops! I feel so silly. Guess I should have consulted my manual in the first place. Thanks for pointing this out to me.