Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

If you already own a 1.7 50mm lens it is not worth to get the 1.4 50mm. I have the FA 35mm f/2 and it is a bless when photographing my child indoors and in a tight space.

Go for the 35mm, you will appreciate it very soon and continue using the 1.7 50mm lens. IMHO.

02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DAL 35mm f/2.4 for about the same reasons, it works great in a small room. If budget is a concern, I'd go with this.

Of course, the cheapest option is to just use the Sears 50 1.7.

Alternatively, for flexibility, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 might be in the same ballpark cost-wise as the SMCP-FA 50 1.4. This may be a better choice if you want to cover your wider-angle bases as an all-around portrait lens--as you had mentioned in your OP. Just a thought.

Both the 35 and the 28-75 focus down to about 13 inches, it's good to have close-focus capability for newborns.
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
Wow, I am truly impressed and thankful for all of the responses! I think I'm going to go with the majority of the responses and get the da35. Like was mentioned I'll still have the 50/1.7 if I need it. I do find 50mm a bit restrictive indoors on my kx. I had to crawl under the bed last weekend to get one particular shot of his room that I wanted. I think the 35mm will give me enough room to work while still keeping a decent distance.

The da35 has gotten good enough reviews so that I don't think I'll regret not having the absolute sharpest lens out there. I'm not a professional by any means so a few hundred lines of resolution lost isn't going to bother me as long as I can see my son and family captured in the moments. I really just need something with better glass and faster than my 18-55 kit lens that has auto focus and exposure (it takes forever to take a shot with my 50).

I also think I'm going to do like some suggested and use some of the money I'll save to get a flash. I'm using the diy film canister diffuser right now and it does give much better results that the on-camera flash alone, but having an external flash I can bounce should make a world of difference with portraits.

I appreciate the other lens options suggested, but there's no way I can spend $500-1000+ on a lens right now. Babies are expensive!!!

Once again, thank you all so much for the quick and helpful replies.

Edit: Worm - I didn't mention, but I also have an 80-200 sears lens with macro as well. I'm looking forward to taking lots of close ups of little toes.

Last edited by SouthernOracle; 02-22-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: update to reply to wormtographer
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthernOracle Quote
Wow, I am truly impressed and thankful for all of the responses! I think I'm going to go with the majority of the responses and get the da35. Like was mentioned I'll still have the 50/1.7 if I need it. I do find 50mm a bit restrictive indoors on my kx. I had to crawl under the bed last weekend to get one particular shot of his room that I wanted. I think the 35mm will give me enough room to work while still keeping a decent distance.

The da35 has gotten good enough reviews so that I don't think I'll regret not having the absolute sharpest lens out there. I'm not a professional by any means so a few hundred lines of resolution lost isn't going to bother me as long as I can see my son and family captured in the moments. I really just need something with better glass and faster than my 18-55 kit lens that has auto focus and exposure (it takes forever to take a shot with my 50).

I also think I'm going to do like some suggested and use some of the money I'll save to get a flash. I'm using the diy film canister diffuser right now and it does give much better results that the on-camera flash alone, but having an external flash I can bounce should make a world of difference with portraits.

I appreciate the other lens options suggested, but there's no way I can spend $500-1000+ on a lens right now. Babies are expensive!!!

Once again, thank you all so much for the quick and helpful replies.

Edit: Worm - I didn't mention, but I also have an 80-200 sears lens with macro as well. I'm looking forward to taking lots of close ups of little toes.
as far as flashes are concerned, old flashes are good, so does new manual flashes. at most this would cost you $50 at most. some sell around $30. for auto, look for the old Pentax 280 T, Sunpak 383 Super. if not, the Yongnuo 460 II is the best and cheapest alternative.

btw, learn how to setup exposure. it's fun.