Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh jeeze the difference between 30 and 100 is huge. I think you have a lot of lenses to consider now.

The 43 and 77 are good suggestions for single primes. They are very different in a lot of ways.

It's kind of hard to suggest a lens without a subject in mind. The best lens at any given time will be very different depending on your subject matter.

If I could only have one lens, though, it would have to be between 35mm and 55mm. That's a personal choice thing, but it can do most subject matter (even if not ideally).

Therefore, I would suggest comparing:

the FA 43, DA 40, DA 35 (for macro), and DA L 35.

They are all pretty good, with the FA 43 claiming king of the heap. However, the thing with primes is, it's nice to have 2 . So you might want to consider buying a combo like...

DA 70 + DA L 35.

Which would not be more expensive than the FA 77.

02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LuxDelux Quote
Hey guys.

Might I ask why no one mentions the 43 Limited? That one seems pretty sweet, although the price is about the same as 77 so it's a tough nut hehe

Anyways will go definitely for a prime. Seems I have to decide if I'll go cheap or straight for a limited 43 or 77. I doubt I'll have the cash for the 31 at this time.

The light weight of all these really amazes me, I'm anxious to test out whichever one I choose.

Wish I could test all of these before buying but alas.

Been checking out so much images my mind will melt
Not sure where you are in the world, but in the states there's actually a couple of hundred dollar difference between the 43 and the 77. It is a great lens (and my most used lens), I just think most of us thought that it is much wider than you were looking for.

My advice would be to go ahead and get the lenses that you think you really want now as getting something lesser is unlikely to satisfy your desires and then you have to go to the trouble of selling them to trade up. You'll save money in the long run. Wish somebody had told me that a few years ago.
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hah yes sorry for throwing out mm like that, I'm just trying to calculate what would be a nice FOV coming from using both the 18-55 Canon zoom at ~30 and the 100mm Canon macro (used for general purposes mostly and not macro). That's why I'm thinking either 43 or something around it or 77 (or 70) with them being the Limited quailty primes as added incentive

I'm not that experienced as I said before, but had no problem adjusting from 100mm fixed to ~30 on the zoom, so I figure with some practice I'll be happy with whatever FOV I choose, am eager to learn anyways.

However, I did find the 100mm going too far and needing much wider most of the times, too bad that 18-55 zoom was just meh.

31mm is a tad too expensive right now for me, so that's why 43mm. However I will look into the other ones you guys suggested around that mark too, thanks for that.

Oh and about the prices, I was looking on B&H, as my contact will be going to New York so I figured that would be the best place to get both K-5 and a lens. (43mm is currently 749$ and 77mm is 784$)
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Oh and about the prices, I was looking on B&H, as my contact will be going to New York so I figured that would be the best place to get both K-5 and a lens. (43mm is currently 749$ and 77mm is 784$)
43mm is $570 at B&H, add it to the cart and see for yourself.

02-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
43mm is $570 at B&H, add it to the cart and see for yourself.
Wow you're right

Was just looking at the price before adding to cart. Now that is a nice surprise. Might give the 43mm an edge together with something else.

Cheers
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Wow you're right

Was just looking at the price before adding to cart. Now that is a nice surprise. Might give the 43mm an edge together with something else.

Cheers
Either DA70/FA77 or DA15/DA21 would be a good match depending if you want longer or wider.

Here's a pic of the ones I own, just tempting you OK?

02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So twitch, the one in the middle, is it really worth what it is going for?.
Been looking at it at B&H, with cash in hand. Just undecided. (I am mostly a zoom guy).
02-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So twitch, the one in the middle, is it really worth what it is going for?.
Been looking at it at B&H, with cash in hand. Just undecided. (I am mostly a zoom guy).
I'm not really the one to ask, I've had it in my ownership for < 24hrs and only taken 60 photos with it. What I've seen so far has exceeded my expectations in sharpness at wide apertures, and certainly met them for beautiful bokeh and rendering. I had high expectations, so I could not help grinning from ear to ear when I got the images up on my computer screen and pixel peeped. That's my 1c worth anyway.

02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm not really the one to ask, I've had it in my ownership for < 24hrs and only taken 60 photos with it. What I've seen so far has exceeded my expectations in sharpness at wide apertures, and certainly met them for beautiful bokeh and rendering. I had high expectations, so I could not help grinning from ear to ear when I got the images up on my computer screen and pixel peeped. That's my 1c worth anyway.

Dang you, I'm been trying hard to convince myself that I don't really have to get the 31 and complete the trio. You are not helping, sir!
02-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OP, you cant go wrong with any of the Limited lens they are all great primes, just get what you can afford on your budget and start with what focal lenght will suit you best.

I have the DA15, FA43, FA77.
Those 3 are great, but the FA43 and FA77 are my favorite by far. Which one is better?
I cant say, i would have to flip a coin!

The FA43 cost me $369 brand new from B&H, but thats because i used a $200 voucher that i won in a contest on this forum
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Might I ask why no one mentions the 43 Limited? That one seems pretty sweet, although the price is about the same as 77 so it's a tough nut hehe
When I bought the FA31Ltd, I wanted something that more or less gave the same field of view as a 50mm on film (or possibly slightly wider). The FA31Ltd fitted that bill.

After using the FA31Ltd for a while, I found it to be the perfect lens for almost everything. For my normal day-to-day shooting I have never wished that it was wider and I have never wished that it was longer; I could always get the photos that I wanted.

From this experience I now know that the FA43Ltd would not have done it; for me it's simply not wide enough to be the only lens. So I will always need a second lens next to the FA43Ltd to cater for the wider view.

Of course there are special situations where I need another lens. But not for my day-to-day shooting.

So that's my story for the FA31Ltd.
02-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I could not help grinning from ear to ear when I got the images up on my computer screen and pixel peeped. That's my 1c worth anyway.
Great, now I really want one.
02-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #28

Original Poster
Oooh that lens collection is sweet. I'm really pumped on getting the Pentax body, and I hate having to probably choose only 1 lens now.

Will probably be 43, that comes around 2000$ with the body, which isn't little. Guess I can always get the 31 later or something else if I later decide. Maybe Pentax pulls out a full frame body in the next few years and then the 43 would have other uses too

Cheers fellas
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I have the 43 Ltd and it's easily my most used lense, incredibly sharp (even 1:1 crops are printable) and flexible. Can cover everything from portraits to narrow landscapes. Superb lense.

Check out the lense database on this forum and look here :

sm-02-05-02

and here : You'll notice he rates the IQ of the 43 lower than in fact it should be (see the link above) ! As it's a stunning lense, but otherwise the Pentax lenses generally are higher rated than the Canon equivalents or have similar ratings but are lower in price (and size) !

Pentax vs Canon lenses 2009