Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Switching from Canon, lens suggestions?

Hello, great forum you guys have here, been reading a lot on the lenses available and checking out the photos, some really good offerings I see in Pentax land

I actually don't have a Pentax camera yet and am seriously considering the K-5 (gave the Canon T1i to my sister) as I'll have someone going to the US in march.

Anyways, on the T1i, besides the pretty bad 18-55 kit lens, I had (still have, plan to sell) the Canon 100mm macro lens (not the newer L version with IS).

I found the IQ fantastic, but being a pretty amateurish photographer, also found it pretty hard to use, with it being pretty sensitive to my hand motions, but also heavy and not really general purpose (duh).

Here are 2 crappy shots I quickly found in the disorganized folder chaos:

http://www.bad-good.org/IMG_4708.jpg
http://www.bad-good.org/IMG_8173.jpg

What really confuses me a bit is the FOV, so I'm hoping someone can help me out in that regard. I found the 100mm on the T1i to be ok for my needs, but a lot of times I wished for something a bit wider (but not too much).

Is the FOV similar with the K-5 crop sensor and would something like the 43mm LTD, 77mm, or some of the other better lenses compare to the 100mm Canon IQ (or be better?). For a similar or bit higher price? ~500-800$ ?

Thanks for any input, much appreciated, cheers!

02-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by LuxDelux Quote
Hello, great forum you guys have here, been reading a lot on the lenses available and checking out the photos, some really good offerings I see in Pentax land

I actually don't have a Pentax camera yet and am seriously considering the K-5 (gave the Canon T1i to my sister) as I'll have someone going to the US in march.

Anyways, on the T1i, besides the pretty bad 18-55 kit lens, I had (still have, plan to sell) the Canon 100mm macro lens (not the newer L version with IS).

I found the IQ fantastic, but being a pretty amateurish photographer, also found it pretty hard to use, with it being pretty sensitive to my hand motions, but also heavy and not really general purpose (duh).

Here are 2 crappy shots I quickly found in the disorganized folder chaos:

http://www.bad-good.org/IMG_4708.jpg
http://www.bad-good.org/IMG_8173.jpg

What really confuses me a bit is the FOV, so I'm hoping someone can help me out in that regard. I found the 100mm on the T1i to be ok for my needs, but a lot of times I wished for something a bit wider (but not too much).

Is the FOV similar with the K-5 crop sensor and would something like the 43mm LTD, 77mm, or some of the other better lenses compare to the 100mm Canon IQ (or be better?). For a similar or bit higher price? ~500-800$ ?

Thanks for any input, much appreciated, cheers!
Welcome

The crop factor of a K-5 is 1.5 vs the Canon crop factor of 1.6.

In the 40ish to 100ish range Pentax has an embarrasment of superb primes; FA 43 ltd, DA*55, DA 70 ltd, FA 77 ltd, DFA 100mm macro. Besides those there is the DA*50-135 f2.8 which has excellent image quality (albiet with slow focus, a sports lens it is not).

I would imagine all those primes I've listed above would be at least the equal of the Canon 100mm macro in IQ. The FA 77 is possibly the best Pentax lens currently made today (along with the FA 31). The DA*50-135 is a notch below those primes but then it is a zoom.
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 668
twitch hit it perfectly.
Compared to the Canon 100 macro, the Pentax 77 ltd small and lightweight. You'd never have a problem using it all day. Unfortunately the 77 doesn't have much for a close-focus. I use close-up filters with mine occasionally and it still outperforms most lenses.
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,032
You're looking at less than a 10% FOV difference (the Pentax will have a slightly wider FOV for the same focal length), but this is mostly negligible.

The image quality of the Pentax 100mm WR macro is superb:
Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens 21910 B&H Photo

Other perks include that it's weather-sealed. If you're really into macro, however, a used copy of the older DFA 100mm would probably be better, as it has an aperture ring (allowing you to use bellows) and a focusing clamp (but no limiter).

IMO the best Pentax wide-angle out there right now is the FA 31mm F1.8 limited. There are other DA limited options out there that don't cost a whooping $950, but they're not as fast and have arguably less-appealing image characteristics (35mm F2.8 macro, 40mm F2.8, 21mm F3.2).

I recommend you browse our complete lens database to choose the lenses that are right for you. Currently in production are DA, D FA, DA L lenses, as well as all Limited lenses from the FA category.

Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Also check out our in-depth reviews:

Professional Reviews | Pentax in-depth reviews | PentaxForums.com


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Yes I forgot to mention Macro isn't the important factor to me, at least not anymore, now I want something with more variety, actually need would be a better word. That bunny of mine deserves a more compact lens

Need to find 100% sized images of 77mm then, I'm guessing after using 100mm Canon on crop that would be kind of a sweet spot FOV for me.

The light weightedness seems especially appealing
02-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
QuoteOriginally posted by LuxDelux Quote
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Yes I forgot to mention Macro isn't the important factor to me, at least not anymore, now I want something with more variety, actually need would be a better word. That bunny of mine deserves a more compact lens

Need to find 100% sized images of 77mm then, I'm guessing after using 100mm Canon on crop that would be kind of a sweet spot FOV for me.

The light weightedness seems especially appealing
Also check out the DA 70 -- a really nice lens in its own right. Not quite as fast, not quite as good bokeh but quite a bit smaller and a little faster to focus.
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Also check out the DA 70 -- a really nice lens in its own right. Not quite as fast, not quite as good bokeh but quite a bit smaller and a little faster to focus.
Wow, just found full sized images with the 70 off k-5, amazing. And such a small sized lens

Now I'm not afraid to sell my 100mm Canon. Kinda scared to go deep research on the 77mm, seeing how the 70 already performs so well.Paired with the built in k-5 SR this could be dreamland
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Also check out the DA 70 -- a really nice lens in its own right. Not quite as fast, not quite as good bokeh but quite a bit smaller and a little faster to focus.
Don't forget cheaper and really sharp in it's own right. I'm a 77 guy but I wouldn't blame anybody for choosing the 70. Can't make a mistake between these 2.

02-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by LuxDelux Quote
Need to find 100% sized images of 77mm then, I'm guessing after using 100mm Canon on crop that would be kind of a sweet spot FOV for me.
I dunno.

I would buy the 100, if you like 100 on your Canon.

They really aren't that different (1.6 vs. 1.5 crop factors).

The 77 will give you the equiv of something like 115mm, but with your Canon lens, you are used to the equiv of 160mm.

If you get the 100 macro you will see 150mm, which is pretty similar.

PS the D FA 100 macro is much more than a macro lens. It's killer for portraits and general photography too.

BUT if you want to avoid the prime:

Consider starting with the DA* 50-135. That lens is killer, but expensive and might be more than you need. Another (cheaper) option would be the 18-135 super-zoom, which looks to be a great lens. I think you could do a lot with that guy until you see a need for a high quality prime at a specific focal length.

I don't think the FA 77 is really what you are looking for - especially since you said you were an amateur photographer.
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

I don't think the FA 77 is really what you are looking for - especially since you said you were an amateur photographer.
Huh....wasn't aware that you had to be a pro to enjoy a great lens.
02-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Huh....wasn't aware that you had to be a pro to enjoy a great lens.
Well it just might not be ideal for his needs, especially since the focal length is so off from what he's into. The price of the 77 is hefty.
02-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Actually, while I did have no problem working with 100mm I did want something wider most of the time.

For example when I tried the shoddy Canon 18-55 lens I found using it a lot at the 25-30 range. I'm not that experienced but I'm guessing if I liked 25-30 and 100 I should easily adapt and learn with a fixed prime with nice IQ.

So basically I narrowed my choices under the 100mm range as there seem to also be the ones with the best IQ. I was pixel peeping some 100mm photos and didn't really like the results, compared to what I got IQ wise with the Canon macro.

However maybe it was due to those being shot on older bodies? Couldn't find any full sized k-5 + 100 mm combination.

The zooms seem nice but I also didn't find much to impress me in IQ.

I was however pretty impressed with what the limited range of lenses showed me. And also the DA 70, especially considering the price.

Gonna be tough choosing before March hehe cheers guys
02-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Well you have to decide to go with primes or zooms I guess.

You are talking about the 100mm macro, but are you using it as macrolens or just as a normal lens?

The Limited range is very nice and all of them can sefve you well. The 21mm is maybe a little wide for you. The 35mm macro could serve you well (or the cheap 35mm/f2.4) and the 70mm is a fine portraitlens. The 40mm is a nice little lens with very nice sharp images.

On the zoom site maybe 17-70mm would serve you well. The 50-135 is maybe a little long for your request, but that is an excellant lens.
02-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
QuoteOriginally posted by LuxDelux Quote
For example when I tried the shoddy Canon 18-55 lens I found using it a lot at the 25-30 range. I'm not that experienced but I'm guessing if I liked 25-30 and 100 I should easily adapt and learn with a fixed prime with nice IQ.
You're going to get the FA31Ltd No way around it if that's the focal length that you need

Just joking

For primes only:
  1. Keep it (relatively) cheap and get the DA(L)35/2.4 (or maybe the DA35Ltd) and the DA70Ltd
  2. Make it expensive and get the FA31Ltd and either the FA77Ltd or DFA100WR
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Original Poster
Hey guys.

Might I ask why no one mentions the 43 Limited? That one seems pretty sweet, although the price is about the same as 77 so it's a tough nut hehe

Anyways will go definitely for a prime. Seems I have to decide if I'll go cheap or straight for a limited 43 or 77. I doubt I'll have the cash for the 31 at this time.

The light weight of all these really amazes me, I'm anxious to test out whichever one I choose.

Wish I could test all of these before buying but alas.

Been checking out so much images my mind will melt
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
100mm, bit, canon, fov, iq, k-5, k-mount, lens, lenses, lot, pentax lens, slr lens, t1i
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Canon 5D, advice needed on adapting Pentax lenses on canon camera hangu Photographic Technique 4 08-19-2010 09:09 PM
Non-Canon zoom lens on Canon DSLR, what's up? GerryL Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 21 06-26-2010 07:23 PM
Lens Suggestions Kingaircj Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 02-15-2010 08:45 PM
My next lens, suggestions?? pexi85 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 05-09-2009 12:22 AM
Suggestions on a Lens Brainless Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 06-23-2007 02:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top