Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Just stop trolling around in every thread mentioning the Da*, OK?
According to lensrentals site almost one third of 17-55 needed repair during the year they had the production problem. That is now over as well as the DA* production problems. Even in the worst case scenario, which is RH's research the DA*16-50 was more reliable.

And you know what?
That didn't stop me recommending the EF-S 17-55 to my girlfriend. Just because it is optically the best in it's class she could get for 1.6 crop Canon. The same goes for Da*16-50 on Pentax.
I pity those who cannot stop accusing others trolling. And since when lensrentals became the definite guide of... ? And how many DA*16-50 or SDM lenses they have ever carried on regular basis and for how long? And since when RH earned your trust again (the moment he was inline with your opinion?)? The EF17-55/2.8 is not w/o its flaws, like build quality & dust issue. However, its USM performance & reliability are way ahead of DA*16-50. I am cool if you don't agree with me, at least I won't accuse you of anything.

02-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 16-50 offers some things that the kit lens doesn't. It offers a 16 mm angle of view, which is 2 mm wider than the kit (can make a big difference in certain situations), it offers SDM (whatever its reliability, it comes in handy in situations where you don't want a noisy screw driven lens) and it offers an f2.8 aperture throughout its range.

As to its sharpness, colors, you can certainly see the difference in many situations although the kit lens is nice in many situations.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is really nice too, if you don't need weather sealing or, silent focusing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/106084-da*-16-...at-can-do.html
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #18

I consider the 18-55 an excellent lens. IMO you can't say 10Xprice = 10Xbetter. Because price is formed by many factors. The 16-50 is much faster than the 18-55. So you have better low light performance, better focusing and thinner depth of field. It is very silent too. On the other hand it is much more bulky and heavy. IMO it is not an upgrade lens, it is a pro lens. An upgrade to 18-55 is the 18-135.
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I pity those who cannot stop accusing others trolling.
Let's make a deal. Stop making those pointless troll-like comments and I'll stop my accusations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The 16-50 offers some things that the kit lens doesn't.
Contrast for example. This featue by it's own makes it worth it. I couldn't believe the contrast this lens has wide open.

02-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Let's make a deal. Stop making those pointless troll-like comments and I'll stop my accusations.
Sorry no deal. Whenever people asked opinions on expensive DA* lenses, I would raise the SDM issue so that the potential buyers would be made aware of the issue. It is up to them what to believe. If that is against the rules, I am welcome to be banned. Besides, $200 for out of warranty SDM repair is very real. I didn't make that up.
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two DA* lens.
Pity that I must be the exception. Have used them over and over for a period of nearly two years.
Still waiting for the "inevitable", SDM failure.
Trouble is, the naysayers, as in this case, give the impression, .... "buy one of these and you are buying trouble".
Not so. Yes some do go wrong and need repair, but be sure, it is not inevitable.

You would not go wrong buying a DA* over the kit lens. AND either can go wrong, needing repair.
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Sorry no deal. Whenever people asked opinions on expensive DA* lenses, I would raise the SDM issue so that the potential buyers would be made aware of the issue. It is up to them what to believe. If that is against the rules, I am welcome to be banned. Besides, $200 for out of warranty SDM repair is very real. I didn't make that up.
For those who still haven't got the DA*16-50mm lens, it is your chance to get it relatively inexpensive because of people like you telling other people how bad the lens is because you happen to have one. Mine works flawlessly....
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
For those who still haven't got the DA*16-50mm lens, it is your chance to get it relatively inexpensive because of people like you telling other people how bad the lens is because you happen to have one. Mine works flawlessly....
By all means, but I don't see DA* getting cheaper. Remember to be honest and report back and don't duck when yours failed. Besides, it's not my money. I'd say buy them all and see for yourself. Just don't moan when they died cos you have been warned.

02-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Wow. This is ridiculous! It seems that there's always a thread that instantly turns to "bash the DA* lenses." Okay, sure! No product is infallible, I admit that....
My DA* lens has worked flawlessly for the past 3/4 year. Sure, it could go out, but then so could any other lens...

Lets be honest, but not bash just for the sake of it...
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Whenever people asked opinions on expensive DA* lenses, I would raise the SDM issue so that the potential buyers would be made aware of the issue. It is up to them what to believe.
Thank you for you wonderful free trolling social service.

Truth is things do break down from time to time. According to lensrentals the typical chance of failure is 5,5% per year. So far no hard evidence was presented that this chance would be higher with Pentax. But after long years of completely problem free and 100% dependable screw drive even slightest drop caused panic.
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I vote no. Value for price is not worth it IMO. If you need f2.8 I would go with the Tamron. Much sharper edge to edge than the 16-50 even at f2.8. The only thing the 16-50 has over the Tamron is 1mm, and weather sealing. (How often do you really shoot in rain so intense that it would actually flow around the lens barrels and into the mechanism?)

What's up with the "newbies" calling wlachan out as a troll for expressing his opinion? You may be new to Pentax and feel strongly about your purchase and the need to defend the faith, but just chill for a while and realize that some people are not trolling, but legitimately bringing up limitations of the brand in hopes that they will change in future models.
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I vote no. Value for price is not worth it IMO. If you need f2.8 I would go with the Tamron. Much sharper edge to edge than the 16-50 even at f2.8. The only thing the 16-50 has over the Tamron is 1mm, and weather sealing. (How often do you really shoot in rain so intense that it would actually flow around the lens barrels and into the mechanism?)
In Oklahoma, Perhaps Never. In Pacific Northwest? Could be every day.

Did you ever Try a 16-50?

02-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In Oklahoma, Perhaps Never. In Portland? Could be every day.

Did you ever Try a 16-50?

I guess you may have missed my past threads talking about my 3, yes THREE DA* 16-50's. Also, you may have missed my DA*16-50 vs Tamron 17-50 throwdown threads versions I and II.

Yes, I have tried a 16-50. Have you tried a 17-50 and compared them head to head?
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I guess you may have missed my past threads talking about my 3, yes THREE DA* 16-50's. Also, you may have missed my DA*16-50 vs Tamron 17-50 throwdown threads versions I and II.

Yes, I have tried a 16-50. Have you tried a 17-50 and compared them head to head?
No need to. I still have my First 16-50 that serves me quite well.

02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I have shot with both. DA* wins. The difference may not justify the price for some, but I still think it would take a bad copy of DA* or exceptionaly good Tammy to reverse the outcome. I only compared one pair and these extremely complicated lenses do have variations.

So I do not say you couldn't get to experience the Tamron better than DA*, but it is definately not the rule.