Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That was my first thought too, although ebay recently extended their buyer protection and you can now recover shipping fees as well as the sale price if you're sold a defective product.
I would be very wary of this policy as a buyer. Experience taught me that trying to make any claim based on delivered product would be very difficult. Trying to prove optical misalignment or SDM failure would be almost impossible. The only successful claims I have ever had were undelivered product or loss packages. I could as well send the buyer a rock by registered mail with tracking # and eBay will rule in my favour. Better be safe than sorry.

02-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I would be very wary of this policy as a buyer. Experience taught me that trying to make any claim based on delivered product would be very difficult. Trying to prove optical misalignment or SDM failure would be almost impossible. The only successful claims I have ever had were undelivered product or loss packages. I could as well send the buyer a rock by registered mail with tracking # and eBay will rule in my favour. Better be safe than sorry.
I don't know if things are different in Canada (as they may be), but from what I understand in the States is that ebay/paypal seems to heavily favor the buyer in almost all disputes. It's one of the main reason I rarely ever sell anything on ebay. But regardless, I agree with your overall notion of better to be safe than sorry and if anything about a transaction doesn't feel right, it's best just to avoid it altogether.
02-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I don't know if things are different in Canada (as they may be), but from what I understand in the States is that ebay/paypal seems to heavily favor the buyer in almost all disputes. It's one of the main reason I rarely ever sell anything on ebay. But regardless, I agree with your overall notion of better to be safe than sorry and if anything about a transaction doesn't feel right, it's best just to avoid it altogether.
The item really should be reported. If I see it, I'll do so (just to get that out of the way)..

WRT to condition of a delivered item (speaking from experience here).. The one time I've had to do this, as a buyer, I had to Prove it didn't work (it was a Metz 45 something or other flash) as advertised. That meant I had to take the flash to a camera shop, have them look at it and write a note stating that it was defective. Then I had to mail it back, at my expense, and wait. It eventually turned out in my favor but that was before all the changes and I even think it was before Ebay owned Paypal.

The idea he's trying to get around paying the commissions on the lens is a huge red flag to me. He still has to pay the paypal fees. What they will likely do at some point is start charging commission on the shipping as well. That'll end that practice of 1 cent for an item and $12 for shipping. For right now though, the commission is why I NEVER include shipping in an Ebay price. It's always extra.

02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The item really should be reported. If I see it, I'll do so (just to get that out of the way)..
I actually already reported it on Wednesday when I first saw it, which is why I was a little surprised to see it still up 4 days later.

02-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually already reported it on Wednesday when I first saw it, which is why I was a little surprised to see it still up 4 days later.
Then it's on ebay to handle it and it's on the buyer to beware. The practice clearly violates the circumventing ebay fees policy so as an ebay user who would like to see things stay on the up and up, you've done your part.

02-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #81
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not to mention that it may violate Unfair Practices laws in some states (including his home state of Texas) if the guy won't sell you the lens without the shipping. The last thing Ebay wants is a bunch of state attorneys general making a name by suing regarding deceptive prices.
02-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i thought Pentax france's service got to spend more time with the DA 16-50 than you did
In a word YES..They still have it!!!!!!