Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I own the 16-50. I recently did a little non-professional but controlled comparison using this lens, the kit lens, and the FA 50mm all shot at 50mm.
I did a similar test with 4 different lenses here and made a game of it. You have to guess which is which:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49639-4x50-lens-game.html

(Note, I didn't include the DA* 16-50 because it would have been too easy to guess the lens. At f/4.5 the 16-50 would have still showed softness at the edges which would be detectable on the wall. Oh yeah, also I didn't have the 16-50 because if I recall, this was done one of the times where the lens was sent back due to either faulty SDM or lens decentering.)

02-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I did a similar test with 4 different lenses here and made a game of it. You have to guess which is which:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49639-4x50-lens-game.html

(Note, I didn't include the DA* 16-50 because it would have been too easy to guess the lens. At f/4.5 the 16-50 would have still showed softness at the edges which would be detectable on the wall. Oh yeah, also I didn't have the 16-50 because if I recall, this was done one of the times where the lens was sent back due to either faulty SDM or lens decentering.)
I think decentering issues have definitely been cleared up, although certainly SDM remains a problem. I have a later copy (about two years old now) and it showed none of these issues and is quite sharp from about 18mm to 45mm.

For whatever reason, this lens showed an amazing amount of copy variation. Maybe it is just poor QC, but some of the lenses were abysmal, while others were really good. Several photogs reported going through two or three copies to find a "good" one.
02-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I own the 16-50. I recently did a little non-professional but controlled comparison using this lens, the kit lens, and the FA 50mm all shot at 50mm.
Thanks Scott, that is very good information.
02-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For whatever reason, this lens showed an amazing amount of copy variation. Maybe it is just poor QC, but some of the lenses were abysmal, while others were really good. Several photogs reported going through two or three copies to find a "good" one.
The sad thing about that is that for around $1,000, you expect that the QC people have culled out the lesser examples. This is a fine lens design, but the reputation has been damaged by these QC issues.

02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a word...NO, not when stopped down 1 to 1.5 stops. The 18-55 that came with my Kx is extremely capable. Another option which I also own is the Pentax DA 16-45 f/4.0 lens which is very good and out performs the Canon 17-40L lens. I also own the DA*16-50.
02-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
In a word...NO, not when stopped down 1 to 1.5 stops. The 18-55 that came with my Kx is extremely capable. Another option which I also own is the Pentax DA 16-45 f/4.0 lens which is very good and out performs the Canon 17-40L lens. I also own the DA*16-50.

i thought Pentax france's service got to spend more time with the DA 16-50 than you did
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Of course there's a guy on Ebay right now that doesn't think the DA* is worth more than the kit lens. He's offering it at $49. (plus $700 shipping). I'd be tempted to drive to his house over in Texas and pick it up. I'd even trade in my kit lens.

02-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Of course there's a guy on Ebay right now that doesn't think the DA* is worth more than the kit lens. He's offering it at $49. (plus $700 shipping). I'd be tempted to drive to his house over in Texas and pick it up. I'd even trade in my kit lens.

Is that serious!? I live in Texas, maybe I'M the one that should be driving! Glenn
02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Is that serious!? I live in Texas, maybe I'M the one that should be driving! Glenn
It would be funny to see what he would do.
02-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
It would be funny to see what he would do.
He'd ask for $750. He's just trying to reduce the amount of commission he has to pay to ebay since you don't have to pay a commission on the shipping fees, only the sale price of the item.
02-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
He'd ask for $750. He's just trying to reduce the amount of commission he has to pay to ebay since you don't have to pay a commission on the shipping fees, only the sale price of the item.
And they aren't smart enough to deal with that? They need better lawyers. If I were running Ebay, I'd make them commit to sell at the price for pick-up.
02-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #72
Veteran Member

And they aren't smart enough to deal with that?
I guess not automatically. There's a "report item" button to report items like that, but it usually takes ebay a few days to deal with it. It seems like it should be fairly easy for them to flag items that having shipping charges in the $700 range
02-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I guess not automatically. There's a "report item" button to report items like that, but it usually takes ebay a few days to deal with it. It seems like it should be fairly easy for them to flag items that having shipping charges in the $700 range
Or any offer with shipping charges that are more than, say, 10x the cost of the item.
02-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Or the lens was a dog. When the buyer sought refund, the shipping would be nonrefundable.
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Or any offer with shipping charges that are more than, say, 10x the cost of the item.
The only issue there is that occasionally something will sell for $0.99 with $12 shipping and it will be legit. But I understand what you're saying and I'm sure someone could come up with a formula to detect out of line shipping costs fairly easily.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Or the lens was a dog. When the buyer sought refund, the shipping would be nonrefundable.
That was my first thought too, although ebay recently extended their buyer protection and you can now recover shipping fees as well as the sale price if you're sold a defective product.