Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The question is - Does the weight of an f/2.8 lens kill you? If you can afford the weight of an f/2.8 lens, Adam answered your question. If it's too heavy, Adam didn't.

If you are happy with the coverage of a 70-200 and don't need the reach to 250mm, then the Pentax 60-250/4 isn't an option. It's *heavier* than the Tamron 70-200/2.8, and almost as expensive as the Sigma 70-200 OS HSM II. The Sigma 100-300/4 seems to have disappeared.

02-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I've recently acquired the 60-250 in an attempt to finally ditch the rest of my Canon gear. The 70-200/4L IS (and 1.4x TC option) and 400/5.6 were the reasons I hadn't yet fully converted. To my mind:

ADVANTAGE CANON:
1.4x & 2x TCs with no compromises (all the Pentax TC options have gotchas as far as I can tell)
It's my impression that the OIS is a little more effective than the Pentax SR
Lighter
AF speed
no SDM failures (not sure if this is really an issue with 60-250?)

ADVANTAGE PENTAX
60 at wide end
250 at long end (almost like adding the 1.4x TC to the 70-200)
black barrel (purely subjective, I still think white lenses look goofy)
much better tripod collar design (Pentax's has much lower profile when attached, and when detached takes up almost no space in the bag. Also my Canon tripod collar no longer clamps tight whereas I don't think that will be an issue with the Pentax)
Little cut-out in hood to rotate polarizers

IT'S A DRAW
Image quality (I've not had the 60-250 long, but so far I'm every bit as pleased with its images)
Size (without tripod collar the Pentax is bigger, with it attached the Canon is a little more awkward. Adding the 1.4x TC makes Canon bigger)
Both are resistant to the elements, I couldn't tell you if one were any better than the other
Build quality
Close focus distance (well, I guess the Pentax does focus about 3.5" closer...)
Filter size

All in all I find them very close matches for one another. I was worried about spending that amount of cash on the Pentax 60-250, but now I'm glad I did. To my mind there is no real significant diadvantage to the Pentax and a few little advantages such as the cut-out in the hood and the better tripod collar that make me prefer it in many ways that I didn't expect.

I was also worried about more weight, but it's been mostly a non-issue for me as once you add the tripod collar and 1.4x TC to the Canon, there's not much weight difference and the Pentax then actually becomes the easier of the two to fit in the bag. Neither of them is a featherweight. If that's my priority, I have better options (DA70 &/or FA135).
02-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Great forum. Very timely for me, as I just switched from Canon (can't sleep waiting for equipment to arrive) and I owned the 70-200mm f4L with a 7d. Now that's fast! Definitely my favorite lens, so these replies may well help me find a new girl to dance with, too.
02-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kedavid Quote
Yes, speed is not the primary thing I am after. The canon70-200/4 was just s great overall lens that provided decent reach when needed, but if cropped, the image quality was still very good. I have my sights on the 60-250 or the sigma 100-300 at his point.
Those two lenses were two of my recent considerations. Whilst not after exactly the same FL as you and requiring the lense for a different use, there maybe something of interest in this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/134457-down-wi...ill-ahead.html

FWIW, although it wasn't my first choice in the end, I absolutely loved the 60-250 - a class instrument - and will be adding it later this year as soon as funds permit.

03-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #20
Inactive Account

if you can find one, go with pentax F70-210..else sigma 100-300