Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i have sent my K10D and K100D in for servicing to Pentax i say thay that are GRATE to deal with and the people on the phone are GRATE but the 4 weak tunaround is a bit frustrating BUT i do belive Pentax has the BEST costmer service i have EVER delt with not just cameras but other co.s also
Do you mean they "grate" on your nerves or that they are "great" to deal with?

Sorry, if I'm being a pedantic, borish old Brit, so I do apologise in advance. I just like to protect our language as I had my nuckles raped at skool whenevar I mispeeled wurds.

10-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #17

Fwiw . . .

I'm in the process of switching from Canon to Pentax so I can offer some experience with the former.

As noted above, Canon is having serious problems with back/front focus on a variety of models. I think these are related to electronic control of focus. It's also important to note that not all customers are having problems but those who are can be quite vocal and the Internet is a very big megaphone.

If a lens performs well when focused manually but does not do so when AFed (is that even close to being a word?), there's an obvious mismatch between the electronics of the lens and body. You really have to try different lenses to determine which is at fault. The scary thing? Both could be off.

Canon likes it when people send their lenses (must be Canon brand, of course) and bodies in for service. They quote a minimum charge of $100 per lens for "calibration" and about $175 minimum per body. Fortunately, I had all my work done under warranty. One fellow at FM stated that he sent in his entire kit once a year and just considered it a cost of doing business. For a working pro, that's a reasonable approach.

I've held forth on this in other forums so I'll keep this concise. IMO, quality control in the camera business has declined. The advent of digital ushered in many new levels of complexity and it seems to me that the manufacturers aren't keeping up. Don't even get me started about Leica's problems with the M8.

Are these manufacturers stupid? Oblivious? No way. They're just trying to figure out how to make as much profit as they can. If they can get away with cutting back on QC, they'll do it.

As consumers, the only remedy we have is to make our dissatisfaction known. It seemed to me that Pentax offered more of what I want so Canon will get no more of my $$. Is Pentax perfect? Yeah, that's a rhetorical question.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear about the problems and hope Pentax takes steps to correct them.

my two lux worth/Scottax1