Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
AF microadjustments on third party lenses?

Is it possible for a K-7 to adjust for front and back focus on modern third party lenses?

Rob

02-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Is it possible for a K-7 to adjust for front and back focus on modern third party lenses?

Rob
it was possible even for Pentax *istDL, rogbo2 - unless you are asking if K7 will remember the settings for different 3rd party lenses (distinguish between different non native lenses).
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I've done it multiple times with multiple third party lenses. It remembers the setting for next time too!
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There is a big but though, some third party lenses don't identify themselves accurately to a Pentax body. They only identify the manufacturer, I think Sigma does this and maybe Tamron. So that means adjustments apply for all sigma lenses. I think. I could be wrong though....

02-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There is a big but though, some third party lenses don't identify themselves accurately to a Pentax body. They only identify the manufacturer, I think Sigma does this and maybe Tamron. So that means adjustments apply for all sigma lenses. I think. I could be wrong though....
Doesn't do that to me. I own two Sigmas and it keeps track of both.
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Doesn't do that to me. I own two Sigmas and it keeps track of both.
OK, maybe it applies to certain groups of Sigma Lenses though. When I use my Sigma 17-70, in Aperture it can't determine exactly which Sigma lens it is but offers 3 or 4 different Sigma lenses that it could be.
02-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, Aperture doesn't recognize any of my Sigma lenses either... Where do you get it to give offers of which lens it is?
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Oh yeah, Aperture doesn't recognize any of my Sigma lenses either... Where do you get it to give offers of which lens it is?
In "Lens used" of whatever field in the EXIF, it lists a few possible Sigma lenses (none of which happen to be a 17-70 though LOL). I believe this identifier is what Pentax bodies have to go on and Sigma reuses the identifier for multiple lenses (something to do with not wanting to pay licencing costs for K mount and reverse engineering the standard instead????)

02-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In "Lens used" of whatever field in the EXIF, it lists a few possible Sigma lenses (none of which happen to be a 17-70 though LOL). I believe this identifier is what Pentax bodies have to go on and Sigma reuses the identifier for multiple lenses (something to do with not wanting to pay licencing costs for K mount and reverse engineering the standard instead????)
Ah interesting. I'll have to look at that...
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is correct. I believe, for instance, that Sigma uses the same number for some 17-70 and 70-200 lenses, meaning if you would adjust one, you would adjust the other, even if it didn't need adjusting.