Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smallestcity Quote
Not sure. I haven't found reference to a "soft" 85mm 1.8. How do you tell?
i meant this comment, i knew the 85 tak wasn't a soft

QuoteQuote:
A weird portrait lens that vignettes the image around the subject
is it a screw on filter? it would be the filter equivalent of using a soft lens, lots of us would just use a skylight or other cheap clear filter and smear it with Vaseline instead of paying a premium for the specialty Soft filter

07-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Old thread you managed to find

is the portrait lens an 85 soft? they were pretty common in film days giving that dreamy 70's look

but great score
Those were actually k-mount lenses. They never made any of those with m42 mounts. The first was actually a k lens and the last 2 were F and FA.

K 85/2.2 Soft

F 85/2.8 Soft

FA 85/2.8 Soft
07-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
The best deals now are finding cameras that have them attached. People list the camera, but ignore the lens.
Yep, I got my 'free' K50/1.2 like that...thrown in as a 'portrait lens' with a K100D
Pete
07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are loads of adapters available for a whole range of digital cameras, some of the adverts show photos of the combinations which baffle me. Why would you buy a super-small camera and whack on an old manual lens without aperture & auto-focus control (assuming it works in the first place)? OK, it's great glass, but the prices are significant and they must be a right pain to use.

07-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
There are loads of adapters available for a whole range of digital cameras, some of the adverts show photos of the combinations which baffle me. Why would you buy a super-small camera and whack on an old manual lens without aperture & auto-focus control (assuming it works in the first place)? OK, it's great glass, but the prices are significant and they must be a right pain to use.
Before you say it's a pain to use, try one first. Have you?

The Takumar's are a joy to use assuming the person behind the camera knows a little more than just turning the e-dail to green mode and press shutter button.
07-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
You don't need loads of adapters to use M42 Taks on K-mount. You just need the genuine Pentax m42-K adapter (prefer those over the off brands). Doesn't change the registration distance like an m4/3 or other system would. That is one of the things that makes Pentax one of the best Legacy platforms out there.
08-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #52

i meant this comment, i knew the 85 tak wasn't a soft

is it a screw on filter? it would be the filter equivalent of using a soft lens, lots of us would just use a skylight or other cheap clear filter and smear it with Vaseline instead of paying a premium for the specialty Soft filter
Its an Izumar VT 49. Screws on the front of the lens, and has three settings to change the size of the centre section (the sharp part).

All the lenses have the Pentax adapters.

And the contention that these are hard lenses to use...I just don't get. Is it that difficult to focus a lens, and to set the aperture? The older lenses, from what I have seen, are much better built than new ones, and have optics that are either not available now, or are prohibitively expensive.

08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ducdao/Blue, I was referring to the use of Taks on a myriad of non-K mount DSLR/CSC cameras (most of which are not designed to use non-electronic, non-AF, non-auto-aperture lenses). Of course on a K body they work well with the Pentax adapter, I have several and use them often on both film and digital K mount bodies.
08-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I find it very easy to use Takumars on NEX 5N, in fact, I prefer to use them on the NEX to the K5.
08-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Its an Izumar VT 49. Screws on the front of the lens, and has three settings to change the size of the centre section (the sharp part).

All the lenses have the Pentax adapters.

And the contention that these are hard lenses to use...I just don't get. Is it that difficult to focus a lens, and to set the aperture? The older lenses, from what I have seen, are much better built than new ones, and have optics that are either not available now, or are prohibitively expensive.
ok, looks like a bit of a gimmick, basically it doea what the vignette contol in your PP software does without the sophistication, might be fun to try but basically useless since there are better options

Spiratone Vignetar
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #56

It came with all the other lenses, and I kind of figured it wasn't really worth taking seriously. Sure an interesting collection though. Whoever had it must have upgraded to either a newer film Pentax or a DSLR, because all of them have the Pentax adapters. Sure glad no one at the thrift store was a camera afficionado.....
08-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #57
Veteran Member

At $50 the Spottie and the 55 would have been a reasonable deal now days. the rest of those lenses are worth a lot more than $50 on any individual basis. the wort of the lot is the 17 f4 which really isn't a great lens for apsc, but on film or FF it is a nice fisheye just stop down to f8 or so, and watch for the filters turning on you
I wish my thrift stores got stuff like that in
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #58

At $50 the Spottie and the 55 would have been a reasonable deal now days. the rest of those lenses are worth a lot more than $50 on any individual basis. the wort of the lot is the 17 f4 which really isn't a great lens for apsc, but on film or FF it is a nice fisheye just stop down to f8 or so, and watch for the filters turning on you
I wish my thrift stores got stuff like that in
Thrift stores are so random. I managed to find a Pentax AP "S" with a 55mm and a Tessina L for $40, and then located a 58mm f2 at another one about a year later. Got a Rollei 35 at another for $14 and an Olympus XA4 Macro at another. Voigtlander Bessa II at a yard sale, etc. etc. etc. Truth be told, all of my collection has come from either thrift stores or garage sales. Just can't have expectations when you enter the store......
08-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thrift stores are so random. I managed to find a Pentax AP "S" with a 55mm and a Tessina L for $40, and then located a 58mm f2 at another one about a year later. Got a Rollei 35 at another for $14 and an Olympus XA4 Macro at another. Voigtlander Bessa II at a yard sale, etc. etc. etc. Truth be told, all of my collection has come from either thrift stores or garage sales. Just can't have expectations when you enter the store......
Oh I know, I have my round of stores, though toronto has a lot of us hitting them so the odds are slimmer than some places. I was in victoria and Value village had lots of stuff (just nothing i really wanted)
here i rarely see anything beyond broken point shoots, and on the weekend an mz50 with broken lcd ($30 WTF - $5 for parts at best)