Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Takumar prices....up....and.....up?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just noticed that an English seller has achieved a pretty good price for an M42 Pentax SMC 85 1.8 with case, caps & hood. But the case wasn't the correct item, neither was the rear cap....nevertheless a price of $532.00 was obtained!
Cheers, Pickles.

02-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Just noticed that an English seller has achieved a pretty good price for an M42 Pentax SMC 85 1.8 with case, caps & hood. But the case wasn't the correct item, neither was the rear cap....nevertheless a price of $532.00 was obtained!
Cheers, Pickles.
I have a Super Takumar 105/2.8 minus the beauty ring, so there are no filter threads, minus correct caps and minus some black paint here and there, but the glass and functions are good.. Eric couldn't make the lens right.

I wonder what I could get for it? Starting price $200?
02-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a Super Takumar 105/2.8 minus the beauty ring, so there are no filter threads, minus correct caps and minus some black paint here and there, but the glass and functions are good.. Eric couldn't make the lens right.

No way.....something like that would have to be worth $2000+!
Cheers, Pickles.
02-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is nothing new

one of the results of pentax's success and the perceived value for money is that it has driven the price of any lens that you can mount, through the roof.

Although I watch the used market closely looking for lenses that I don't onw, I will not pay more for any lens than I paid for my supertak 85F1.9 that was $200. I could care less about correct caps and hoods (I have an SMC 85F1.8 hood that I got for $4.) but the lens and glass are excellent.

I am not a collector, but a user.

I think a lot of the prices today are people buying the lenses thinking they can turn them for a profit, not people using them daily. That hurts all of us.

The price for the 85mm lenses has gone so high, it is what forced me to get the samyang 85F1.4 initially. I had given up on getting any 85 for less than one of those. when I found my super tak, I did what any pentaxian would do, I bought it. I still use both lenses, as the Samyang 1.4 is truely a nice lens, and with the aperture "A" setting I can do flash work with it, on something other than my *istD

02-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Also remember that with APS-C, the correct hoods aren't correct anyway. You can use longer ones.

And those new 85 1.4s are very, very impressive. But the vintage quality of the Taks always wins out for most of us, even if not always for valid, logical reasons.

I paid $260 for my S-Tak 85 1.9, and $240 for my S-Tak 35 2--when you had to be a total nut to pay those prices.

Now, you would be happy to get those prices, although still, from time to time, they're out there.
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Holy sh-! You guys made me go look. My 105MM Takumar is now officially worth more than the camera it's mounted on. Of course that isn't hard to do considering my *ist DL cost me all of $50 but still, that's just too funny.
02-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Also remember that with APS-C, the correct hoods aren't correct anyway. You can use longer ones.

And those new 85 1.4s are very, very impressive. But the vintage quality of the Taks always wins out for most of us, even if not always for valid, logical reasons.

I paid $260 for my S-Tak 85 1.9, and $240 for my S-Tak 35 2--when you had to be a total nut to pay those prices.

Now, you would be happy to get those prices, although still, from time to time, they're out there.
First time in the history of photography that a gokevincameras BIN price has actually been a GOOD price for a lens:

SMC 105/2.8 M42

(But the prices for the 85's have all been duly marked up - K85/1.8 for $860? Really?)

02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First time in the history of photography that a gokevincameras BIN price has actually been a GOOD price for a lens:

SMC 105/2.8 M42

(But the prices for the 85's have all been duly marked up - K85/1.8 for $860? Really?)
$325 is a good price for an S-M-C 105/2.8 now? What the heck happened in the past three months? I got mine mint with all accessories for <150 in Novemberish.
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Banned

I'm glad I managed to get the S-T 50/1.4 for a good price just when good deals could still be found. I kept an eye on other similar deals for a while but they never came up.

The 50 is probably a great value even at higher prices once you get over sticker shock and consider alternatives. But I think most other Takumar models are overpriced and don't represent a good value anymore.

The price hike is not surprising. Everyone is hyping Takumars as something ultra-special and with them being adaptable to other cameras, you get users of other systems jumping in the market. Like every bubble, it will blow at some point when people will realize they can obtain the same results from cheaper alternatives. Then we'll get people selling their copies to get back their money and the prices will go down again.
02-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #10

The best deals now are finding cameras that have them attached. People list the camera, but ignore the lens.
02-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adestefan Quote
The best deals now are finding cameras that have them attached. People list the camera, but ignore the lens.
I've heard people say this a hundred times but have never seen it actually happen.

You may find a Spottie with a 1.8 on it for $50 to $75, or with a 2 for less, but they're still not bargains.

I keep searching Craigslist because I think there are less aware sellers there.
02-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

He couldn't install a ring there?
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is insane - what happened to the poor economy
The most I paid for a Takumar was $100, but that was because I bought the SMC 105 from Eric, already cla'd. And that was... less than a year ago. Check that, it was in spring of 09.
02-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
This is insane - what happened to the poor economy
LBA tends to ignore the current global financial situation.
02-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I've heard people say this a hundred times but have never seen it actually happen.

You may find a Spottie with a 1.8 on it for $50 to $75, or with a 2 for less, but they're still not bargains.

I keep searching Craigslist because I think there are less aware sellers there.
This is how I got both my S-M-C- 35/2 and Super 85/1.9 at well below regular prices. I think you take a bit more of a risk with this route, because those sellers tend to be less knowledgable about what they have and have therefore also generally not taken as good care of it (I mean the lens has probably been attached to the camera sitting in the garage for 30 years). Of all my Taks the 85/1.9 definitely came in the worst condition, though the 35/2 was perfectly fine.