Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #46
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Heck, even the F 28-80 can produce. I'm still trying to figure out how to make rather than take a picture but familiarity with the equipment seems to make it or break it with me. It's too darned cold up here right now to play with the *50-135 and but I warrant that it will give good results once the summer comes (three days around the beginning of July).

Last edited by jac; 02-26-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Bad URL
02-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I took a few with my 55 really close and I heard - "Do I really look like that?" - the answer is, of course, no.
Just because a 50mm lens allows you to get closer than with an 85mm, it doesn't mean you have to get closer. Getting closer changes the perspective, but for a fixed working distance, perspective is the same regardless of focal length. A 58mm on APS has about the same field of view as an 85mm on 35mm film. That means that for the same framing of a portrait, perspective will be identical. I.e., if 85mm was a good enough FL for portraits on 135 film, then 58mm is just as good on APS.

If you find the 77mm great on APS, you'd probably hate it on film (or on FF digital if it ever comes to Pentax), because it would pretty much offer the same FOV as a 50mm and then to maintain the same framing that you like now, you'd have to get as close as you would do it with a 50 on APS, with the same impact on perspective that you pointed out.

It's not that the 55mm is not an adequate FL for portraits, but that you prefer tighter framings and then you need a longer FL to keep you in check so the perspective doesn't get into the unflattering zone. This is why choice of FL is a matter of style.
02-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also i'd like to add, its not always about having favorite focal length's and such but also the way how certain lenses image rendering is another big factor too consider for a portrait lens
02-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It's not that the 55mm is not an adequate FL for portraits, but that you prefer tighter framings and then you need a longer FL to keep you in check so the perspective doesn't get into the unflattering zone. This is why choice of FL is a matter of style.
Very much agreed.

02-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
If you find the 77mm great on APS, you'd probably hate it on film (or on FF digital if it ever comes to Pentax), because it would pretty much offer the same FOV as a 50mm and then to maintain the same framing that you like now, you'd have to get as close as you would do it with a 50 on APS, with the same impact on perspective that you pointed out.

Not really. I like ~77mm on both formats for portraits. I'll take up to 150mm (especially on med. format). It is the perspective, not the framing which can't be altered in pp or darkroom. But then, you are right, it really is a matter of style.
02-27-2011, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #51
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I did some standard portraits back a few months ago with my 50 1.7 "normal" lens and it did an exceptional job, for both singles and doubles. The people came IN to have their portraits done, so getting in close was not a problem.

I would love to have the FA77, but way out of the budget right now. The DA70 is a nice option and not as far out on the price too. If Tamron made it in the Pentax mount, the 60 f2 would be a great option also, but alas!

Regards,
Ken, you asked and ~50 posts later there is no definitive answer. Used to be 50, 85, 90-100 w/film. If $s aren't a factor, go to your dealer (or buddy) and test any of the ltds mentioned plus the 100 WR. They're all great. Pick one and work with it. Your style will shine thru.
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jac:

Well said!
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by radkapatka Quote
I love my Vivitar Series 1 105mm/2.5. I have achieved the best portraits with this lens. Although it is manual focus, it is a fantastic lens.
Agree with that, @2.5 it takes lovely portraits.

02-27-2011, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

I already suggested this: Use a zoom at various focal lengths and distances and angles and see what feels right for you. Asking this question here, the replies are what each responder thinks is good, which ain't necessarily what you'll find comfortable. Maybe you'll find that you work best at a distance with a 135-180-200 or something, or maybe you'll want to close in at 35-50-60. It's up to you.
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I already suggested this: Use a zoom at various focal lengths and distances and angles and see what feels right for you. Asking this question here, the replies are what each responder thinks is good, which ain't necessarily what you'll find comfortable. Maybe you'll find that you work best at a distance with a 135-180-200 or something, or maybe you'll want to close in at 35-50-60. It's up to you.
+1. This is the right approach.