Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a thought, what about the Samyang 85mm f1.4?

It's manual focus, but apparently a killer lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46479-review-s...erical-if.html

When I can afford something in this range, I will certainly consider it...

02-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its the 85 ive been eyeing along with the jupiter 9
The jupiter has great bokeh for portraits but for other stuff meh
02-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
I am saving up for the DA 70 myself, but the DA 40 works ok if you stand back a bit and crop the image to avoid facial feature distortion.
For me, the DA70 has come up as my favorite portrait lens for closer work, and the DA*55 for looser stuff.
I really haven't used my 77 all that much since I got the 70.
The A*85/1.4 is also a very nice lens for portraits, in my studio it is a bit long though.
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Just a thought, what about the Samyang 85mm f1.4?

It's manual focus, but apparently a killer lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46479-review-s...erical-if.html

When I can afford something in this range, I will certainly consider it...
it's a very nice lens for portraits. I had one before. really bright and I love the smooth Bokeh. it is also sharp although needs some contrast which would had made it hard to let go. I sold my copy because of MFD, struggle for me to use it and I need an AF lens. it got further dislodged when I got the slower J9 (unique portrait rendering), M85/2 (sharpness, contrast for other uses), and S190 (awesome portrait, macro rendering). getting a fast and AF 85mm which is an all-around performer wouldn't make sense to keep the Samyang, so I have to let it go. overall, for someone who is on a budget and needs an f1.4, the Samyang is unbeatable for the price.

02-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
have to agree.
02-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did some standard portraits back a few months ago with my 50 1.7 "normal" lens and it did an exceptional job, for both singles and doubles. The people came IN to have their portraits done, so getting in close was not a problem.

I would love to have the FA77, but way out of the budget right now. The DA70 is a nice option and not as far out on the price too. If Tamron made it in the Pentax mount, the 60 f2 would be a great option also, but alas!

Regards,
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I saw some great wide-angle potrait as well. Feel very unqiue and great perspective.
So I think no 100% rules

02-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'll just add that depending on the type of portrait--and keep in mind that I hate the smiling into the camera type of shot-- you get more interesting stuff when you're further away with a longer lens and pull the trigger when you're subject doesn't know it's being pulled.

Same person on the same stool, but when they "act" for the shot and give you that big smile, it's usually pretty boring stuff.
Also very true...
02-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
The Samyang is an excellent lens. Has internal focusing too.

The Jupiter is designed to be a soft lens and stays soft even when stopped down, although I hear that the earlier silver versions were sharp. The softness is not characterized by a lack of detail but by a glow around all details. I haven't figured out yet how to use that for a special effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
55 works well for upper body.

You have to get too close for heads and shoulders - thats where the 70 / 77 / 85 comes in.
I got a lot of shots - heads and neck, not even shoulders - with 50-58 lenses. And candid too. But it depends of course on the scenario. Very young children won't pose for you and won't even care that you're in front of them with a camera, so you can be closer. And at parties, you can be pretty close to people engaging in conversation and a 50 is just perfect for framing them if you're sitting close by.

Also, when shooting with available light, I find 85s harder to handle - the longer working distance makes it more likely that I'll get motion blur.

So it really depends on situation and shooting style.
02-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The Samyang is an excellent lens. Has internal focusing too.

The Jupiter is designed to be a soft lens and stays soft even when stopped down, although I hear that the earlier silver versions were sharp. The softness is not characterized by a lack of detail but by a glow around all details. I haven't figured out yet how to use that for a special effect.

not necessarily silver but has something to do with pre-1990 lenses I think. I kinda forgot the name for it, but there was a term used for it. I have no experience with the new J-9, but my old copy is certainly sharp at f5.6, but does not come in silver.
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I have no experience with the new J-9, but my old copy is certainly sharp at f5.6, but does not come in silver.
If it glows at f/2 like mine does in the following shot, you have what I have:

Stopping it down reduces the glow effect, but I remember it was still visible at f/5.6.
02-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I saw some great wide-angle potrait as well. Feel very unqiue and great perspective.
So I think no 100% rules
Of course there is no 100% rule. In the past 20 or so years, I've used shorter lenses a few times for environmental portraits. That would mean that when shooting portraits I use shorter lenses maybe 1% of the time.
Which means that were I looking for a portrait lens, I wouldn't be looking for a 35mm, I'd be looking for a 70mm.
02-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I got a lot of shots - heads and neck, not even shoulders - with 50-58 lenses. And candid too. But it depends of course on the scenario. Very young children won't pose for you and won't even care that you're in front of them with a camera, so you can be closer. And at parties, you can be pretty close to people engaging in conversation and a 50 is just perfect for framing them if you're sitting close by.
Yes, you can get nice and intimate, and it works well. However, I do find that you get a little bit of distortion at that working distance, which can lead to unflattering faces.

I took a few with my 55 really close and I heard - "Do I really look like that?" - the answer is, of course, no. 70, for me, is there bare minimum of closeness I feel comfortable getting to avoid distortion to the face.

However if you sit back with the 55 for a looser head-and-shoulders, the distortion goes away.
02-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #44
Forum Member

I echo many of the comments already made regarding face distortion with anything less than 70 up close. I would also stress the benefits of natural candid portrait shots with a longer focal length.

I have the FA 77 and love it. My brother-in-law has the DA 70 and he takes beautiful portraits with it.

It is very subjective. You should browse flickr for shots taken with different lenses and decide which style is for you.

Last edited by heasley; 02-26-2011 at 06:51 PM.
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #45
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ice Fisherman

A *77 is 'in the mail', I've got the 100 WR on the K5 as I write but the FA100mm served me well. (My son checking his line)
Attached Images