Yes 1632.00%
No 3468.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poll: silver on black - silly or not?

This poll is about putting silver lenses on all-black camera bodies. Actually, it isn't. The inconveniently separate make-a-poll screen "timed out" while I was setting it up. Forum Fail!

For your consideration, a black K-5 with the (soon to be released) DA40mm Limited Silver, since I had some spare cycles:

Attached Images

Last edited by panoguy; 02-24-2011 at 06:38 PM.
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

soon to be released silver DA 40mm? Man im behind it!

I've been waiting to purchase this lens for some time now because of its ridiculous price (IMO) but this changes things (as stupid as that sounds). Honestly I love this
02-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam, if you're listening, the "poll" part of the forum software officially blows.

Only 10 minutes to post a poll (that you can only set up after you post) in a separate screen with no indicator of this time? WTF is up with that?
No ability to set up the poll and options on the same screen as the thread? Nice...

Last edited by panoguy; 02-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Adam, if you're listening, the "poll" part of the forum software officially blows.

10 minutes to post a poll after a thread has been opened? WTF is up with that? No ability to write the poll questions and pick the options on the same screen as the thread? Nice...
thats new

02-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Polls should be banned.
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
soon to be released silver DA 40mm?
And a couple others, too.
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

I love polls and this is the best one ever!!!

I vote "all of the above".

02-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like it. Grabs your attention without making you say "what the hell?" as many other color Pentaxs do.
02-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like the gold version on the black body also!

I like the contrasts and seems kind of retro!
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

Only 10 minutes to post a poll (that you can only set up after you post) in a separate screen with no indicator of this time? WTF is up with that?
No ability to set up the poll and options on the same screen as the thread? Nice...
Took me about 15 seconds to create your poll- no idea how 10 minutes isn't enough! (now it's 15)

Anyway, the silly part is that Pentax is bothering with these limited editions for literally every damn product they make. They're in a great position right now to take advantage of their success with the K-r and K-5 to announce stuff that's missing in their lineup, such as UWA WR zooms, fast sports zoom, and perhaps a longer macro, etc. Instead, they're choosing to rake in extra cash by painting current gear silver.

I think that the silver pancake doesn't look too bad on a black k5, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Anyway, the silly part is that Pentax is bothering with these limited editions for literally every damn product they make. They're in a great position right now to take advantage of their success with the K-r and K-5 to announce stuff that's missing in their lineup, such as UWA WR zooms, fast sports zoom, and perhaps a longer macro, etc. Instead, they're choosing to rake in extra cash by painting current gear silver.
I agree it is perhaps a fashion-faux pas with the colors, but it hardly take any time or engineering resources.

With the recent...poll..about stains and other problems, I'm not sure you can call the K-5 a success. I hope Pentax breaks even after a year with them.
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the look of the silver on black, but for me, it sort of defeats the purpose of the lenses.

One of the nicest things about the DA 40, for example, is that the lens is so unoffensive and you get nice, natural reactions in front of the camera. Th "silver eye" really takes away from the subtlety.
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't think that combination in particular looks so good, but a silver lens with an ordinary black hood wouldn't bother me, I don't think. Probably wouldn't distract subjects that way.
02-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Polls should be banned.
That would be a good subject for a poll.

My answer to the question: It doesn't focking matter. Black, silver, chartreuse, pink and purple polka dots, barber-pole stripes -- IT DOESN'T FOCKING MATTER!

When I first put a black-and-silver lens on a black camera body, I thought, "Hmmm, this is kinda dorky". Now I use lenses in aluminium (silver), brass (gold), and painted white, and weird optics in various colors from varied sources stuffed into a bellows, and... big deal. I'm not making fashion statements -- I'm just shooting. Anyone who doesn't like it is cordially invited to step into a live volcano.

I'll re-run this prediction: Advances in thin-film semiconductors will soon allow spray-on LCD surfaces on anything. ANYTHING. Your camera and lens bodies; your books and clothes and shoes; your very body -- ALL will be display devices, able to show whatever you want whenever you want. These color questions will soon be as obsolete as debates over counting angels sitting on pinheads. (Method: Measure a pinhead. Measure an angel's arse. Divide A by B. But I digress.)

Last edited by RioRico; 02-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.
02-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

I've been using silver lenses (FAltds and FA*) on black, brown (K10D GP) and blue (K-x) bodies and it doesn't really matter. What I really wish is they would make the black/silver colour combination of body as standard as I used to be back in the days (either film or *ist DS/DL days).
I couldn't care about the designer or fashion but I like bodies in that coloiur scheme. Just shame the limited editions of K20, K-7 and K-5 are so stupidly expensive....