Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A quick just-so-you-know: SR does not work seamlessly with manual zooms as the body does not know the focal length it needs for its calculations. Of course these are as good as they ever were if you just turn SR off .

02-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well for manual focussing there are some things that can help you. A Katzeye or a rip-off is of good help, but then again it coult interfere with your light metering.

Pentax loupe O-ME53 is a very handy thing, at least when you are not a whearing glasses.
02-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Balderdash - I think my tak requires an adapter that I don't have. Curses! Rookie mistake.
02-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
A quick just-so-you-know: SR does not work seamlessly with manual zooms as the body does not know the focal length it needs for its calculations. Of course these are as good as they ever were if you just turn SR off .
Most of the bodies give you the opportunity to set the focal length when the camera turns on with a manual lens attached. Then SR works just fine.

02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.hollows Quote
Balderdash - I think my tak requires an adapter that I don't have. Curses! Rookie mistake.
They are pretty easy to find. That is a pretty good setup.

For getting back into SLR photography, I highly recommend using the kit lens for while. It is quite nice at F8 or F11 (common outdoor apertures) and usually acceptable at wider apertures. When I bought my first DSLR, I went on a quest to replace the kit with a "better" zoom and wasted a money and time. I should have shot with it longer, then upgraded.

After you have used this zoom for a while, you will know more about what focal lengths you prefer on the APS-c format, and you can either buy primes or zooms that get you there. If it were me, I wouldn't rush into buying a lot of primes covered by the 18-55 until I took stock of my photos.
02-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Most of the bodies give you the opportunity to set the focal length when the camera turns on with a manual lens attached. Then SR works just fine.
Sure, it is just that that it would have to be set on the body every time it is changed for best results.
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

M42 adapter, also availeble with ebay. 25 dollar for original is my giess????
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Sure, it is just that that it would have to be set on the body every time it is changed for best results.
SR has ruined more photos with a manual zoom than helped, for me. It's too easy to slip the focal length.

I used to turn SR off, but I decided to upgrade to a zoom that would communicate the focal length.

It's worth it. The best vintage lenses are the primes anyways IMHO.

02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I can't say for the K-r or K-x, but on my K200D, the camera asks me what focal length is attached when it cannot communicate with the lens. It is fast, easy, no-pain, straightforward to set the focal length when attaching a prime lens. Takes 2-3 seconds, tops.

I don't use MF zooms for the reason mentioned (by paperbag), but I love my MF primes.
02-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

K-r body (Abe's of Maine): 559.00
18-55mm AL II (KEH): 39.00 (scratch n' dent)
70-210 Vivitar 3.5 (cameta): 29.00!!!!
50mm 1.7 M (ebay): 27.00!!!!!
135mm 2.5 Tak (adorama): 54.00!!!!!

TOTAL: 708.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice kit! Good prices! Now you can start looking for more fast primes, an ultrawide and/or fisheye, a long mirror. And them some lenses with 'character', and enlarger lenses with bellows, and off-brands that you just want to 'try' because they're cheap... You are doomed. Welcome to LBA hell.

[/me gloats over my ~200 lenses, plots for more]