Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nope. I apologize for not quoting. I was encouraging The Swede not to take down his photo, because it would make a page of discussion meaningless. It is not wrong to post something that starts a discussion.
Sorry to Audiobomber. I made a post wich i regreted after Gene made me think better

Anyways!

Here's two snaps my wife took with the lens, she doesnt fiddle with settings just knows how to aim, zoom and press the shutter halfway. Wich clearly is all that she needs to make good pictures. I did PP though Nothing much... but some tones, lighting and such.

36mm @ f/5,6

40mm f/5,6

04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #152

Photos: Gallery
Looking Up

That second "looking up" shot is worth $600. And your point-and-shoot wife has a good eye. I'll settle for the bokeh too.

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Sorry to Audiobomber. I made a post wich i regreted after Gene made me think better

Anyways!

Here's two snaps my wife took with the lens, she doesnt fiddle with settings just knows how to aim, zoom and press the shutter halfway. Wich clearly is all that she needs to make good pictures. I did PP though Nothing much... but some tones, lighting and such.

36mm @ f/5,6

40mm f/5,6
04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #153

I just received shipment of a K5 and an 18-135 (and some limiteds and a DA*). Looking forward to taking out this piece of crap blur-machine and see if it can possibly resolve any scene at all, in any way. Whatsoever. Perhaps.
04-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
I just received shipment of a K5 and an 18-135 (and some limiteds and a DA*). Looking forward to taking out this piece of crap blur-machine and see if it can possibly resolve any scene at all, in any way. Whatsoever. Perhaps.
Good luck!

With such a flawed combo, you'll be lucky to get anything usable

04-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That second "looking up" shot is worth $600. And your point-and-shoot wife has a good eye. I'll settle for the bokeh too.
Thanks alot You can have that picture if you send me the money then

The thing is, anyonw can take good photos if they actually use the gear to take photos. Alot of that is sometimes overseen by to much enthousiasm about the gear.

My two swedish pennies...

hmmm, dont think so.... return it at once....

Look what it did to this roof.... its all twisted with horrible vigetting, and just look at those branches....they are so unsharp that its ridiculous... no colors either....

18mm @ f/3,5
04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #156

Hi, newbie here. Did see this thread and just wanted to add a thought that I didn't see well expressed in the ~150 msgs, unless I overlooked it:

I find it most important that a lens is sharp. Less important is distortion. Why? Because sharpness can't be fixed later, while distortion can be fixed in post processing, right? (Please educate me if that's a too simplified way of looking at it.)

I own 5 (mostly cheap) zooms all covering 50mm (3 Pentax, one Sigma, one Tamron). The most expensive being the DA* 16-50. And I found that both the DA* and this 18-135 WR are very sharp at one f-stop down from their max aperture. In fact, weren't it for the occasional need for the DA*'s f/2.8 opening, I'd sell it and just keep the 18-135. It also clearly wins over the kit 18-55 AL II and 18-55 WR, IMO.

Besides, while this lens was very expensive here in Germany (~720), I could get it in the US from B&H for almost _half_ the price. And since that made it cost less than the limit of 430, I could get it thru customs for free, legally. So I got it really at a bargain.

Sadly, the same price advantage isn't available for the K-5 yet ;^)
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #157
Veteran Member

You must be refering to center sharpness, because once you start getting closer to the edges, its not nearly as sharp.
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
You must be refering to center sharpness, because once you start getting closer to the edges, its not nearly as sharp.
There's no doubt there's a drop-off in sharpness/resolution as you get near the edges and corners. However, depending on what you're shooting, and what you intend to do with the shot, it may be mostly irrelevant.

04-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #159

Indeed, I only checked center so far. I'll see that I do a test on the edges with all my lenses as well.

Is using a B&W Siemens chart a good way for doing that? I assume it is, as I'll also see CA that way, which is the other factor that decreases picture quality and is hard to fix by post processing (although it's better than with general sharpness problems), right?

OTOH, I'm, sure that enough others have done this already. However, I also am interested in my particular lenses as they've been used for a while and maybe decreased in quality due to wear and tear (i.e. mechanics, especially on the cheaper ones).

Last edited by tempelorg; 04-27-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo fix
04-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #160
Veteran Member

I wonder what the widest range zoom available (even adaptable) for pentax is, I know there is the Pentax 18-250mm.. and a Tamron 18-270mm.. any others?
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
There's no doubt there's a drop-off in sharpness/resolution as you get near the edges and corners. However, depending on what you're shooting, and what you intend to do with the shot, it may be mostly irrelevant.
Right. I just like to learn if there's more reasons to keep the DA* or cash it in to be able to afford a K-5 sooner than later (I remember reading reviews on the DA* that weren't too favorable of the quality of the DA* 16-50, so I wonder how it compare overall to the 18-135 WR now. The review on this site doesn't take this DA* lens into account)
04-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
Right. I just like to learn if there's more reasons to keep the DA* or cash it in to be able to afford a K-5 sooner than later (I remember reading reviews on the DA* that weren't too favorable of the quality of the DA* 16-50, so I wonder how it compare overall to the 18-135 WR now. The review on this site doesn't take this DA* lens into account)
Funny you should mention that. I actually plan on replacing my DA*16-50 with the 18-135WR. I realize that optically the DA*16-50 is superior, but I have several high IQ primes in that range if I want superior IQ. As a wide angle zoom, and how I intend to use it, I prefer the size, AF speed and range of the 18-135WR.
04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #163
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
As I said when I started this thread last year, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/110431-corner-...ml#post1137833 , corner sharpness gets way too much obsessive attention. The actual number of times where it is critical, even in landscapes, is small.
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As I said when I started this thread last year, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/110431-corner-...ml#post1137833 , corner sharpness gets way too much obsessive attention. The actual number of times where it is critical, even in landscapes, is small.
I'm certainly in full agreement; I've had the 18-135WR for a couple months now and love it

It even does macros @ 1:2. Stuck one of my new acquisitions, an AF-25mm ext-tube, on the 18-135 and took a quick shot of my other new (re)acquisition.

K-5 + 18-135WR + 25mm ext tube, 53mm, f/11, 1s, iso800, AF in LV

100% crop
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder what the widest range zoom available (even adaptable) for pentax is, I know there is the Pentax 18-250mm.. and a Tamron 18-270mm.. any others?
The Tamron 18-270 is not available for Pentax, 18-250 is the widest range made in K-mount. Reputation says the Tamron 18-250 is a better lens, but the 18-270 is better for brands without SR. As far as I know the Sigma is the only current lens, the Tamron/Pentax 18-250 is discontinued.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.