Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Deadwolfbones: great images! It is amazing to me that your series pretty much makes the distortion issue seem senseless . I use the Kx distortion correction which I guess works well as I do not see any major issues.

03-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Deadwolfbones: great images! It is amazing to me that your series pretty much makes the distortion issue seem senseless . I use the Kx distortion correction which I guess works well as I do not see any major issues.
Well, distortion is really only visible when you have vertical or horizontal lines near the edges of the image. Avoid that and you're golden (or correct in post).

For the record, I didn't have distortion correction on when I shot those.
03-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To the users:

How does the focus ring "feel"? I guess with the short throw no one is going to manually focus this lens anyway, but is it useable?

Zoom creep? One or two reviewers mention zoom creep.
03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I don't understand why some reviewers complain about zoom creep, many complaints of zoom creep are when the lens is pointed directly downwards... who really shoots like that, with a zoom lens of all things? But Vylen didn't notice any zoom creep.

03-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I don't understand why some reviewers complain about zoom creep, many complaints of zoom creep are when the lens is pointed directly downwards... who really shoots like that, with a zoom lens of all things? But Vylen didn't notice any zoom creep.
i think... i would not like the tube to just fall out, wich i dont believe this lens does.

If it just slowly moves out when walking around with i pointing down, then theres no problem for me.

Anyways... swedish stock has been out of this one but they're coming in so i am about to order mine!
03-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Yeah mine is on back order and they for some reason, have no idea how long it will be 'till it arrives.
03-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Yeah mine is on back order and they for some reason, have no idea how long it will be 'till it arrives.
Are you in USA? I got a call just now, several shops in sweden recieved stock today! Maybe they forgott "over there" this time Nahh, kidding, they should be in soon!

I do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA....

bla bla bla

03-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Regarding zoom creep... there's virtually none.

If you simply point the camera directly down, it does not move.

If you point the camera directly down and change the focal length, it does not shift from where you put it.

However, if you point the camera directly down and start vigorously shaking it up and down, it'll creep a bit

Now, regarding the feel of the focus ring... i rarely use it since the AF is faster than i'll ever be

However, i can say that it's a bit stiff - probably from it's unusual design. As I mentioned before, the focusing ring is free-spinning and can be rotated as much as you want - and while moving the focus ring will change focus, the camera changing focus wont move the focus ring. And probably because of it's construction, the ring itself doesn't spin too easily compared to the quickshift on the kit 18-55mm lens for example.

Despite that, it's not too stiff to be a hinderance, it feels like it can still be finely tuned to how you want it.

One amusing thing to do is to set the camera on AF.C, half-press the shutter and keep spinning the focus ring.. heh

In other things.. here's a photo I took today with the lens @ 135mm

Above image is downsized... Click here for the even bigger one

When the photo is cake, who cares about distortion
03-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Vylen for your input! I wont shake it anyways

Well, that cake looks good enough both IQ wize and to eat!
03-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote

In other things.. here's a photo I took today with the lens @ 135mm

Above image is downsized... Click here for the even bigger one

When the photo is cake, who cares about distortion
Just moved to the top of my list- was really wanting a WR lens last summer (at Niagra falls ;-) and this type of sharpness (along with the other nice shots) makes me really want it!!
03-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
To the users:

How does the focus ring "feel"? I guess with the short throw no one is going to manually focus this lens anyway, but is it useable?

Zoom creep? One or two reviewers mention zoom creep.
To tell you the truth, the focus ring feels totally useless... it's position is very awkward, it's too narrow, it's too stiff, there's no focusing scale and there's almost no feedback... You can kinda feel the extremes of the focusing range, but that's about it... In other words, i'd hate to shoot lots of video with it...

As far as zoom creep goes - there's none... With time it might develop some as weather seals will get compressed, but only time will tell...
03-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say, I'm not finding this lens as useful so far as it was in my dreams. I bought it as a complimentry lens because I was buying the Sigma 120-400. It covered 18-120 for me very nicely. however, I just wasn't happy with the resolution of the sigma over 300mm, so I took it back and got the DA*60-250. Long story short, the kit lens is lighter. I have carried it with me, and gone for a few walks with this lens on the camera and results have been good, but they haven't blown me away. I'm still waiting for that one standout image that will make me say, I like the lens, but so far it just hasn't happened. By comparison, I got the Tamron 90mm macro shortly after I got the DA 18-135 and I could show you a dozen great images to kill for taken with that lens. It's sort of taken over my mind. I'm thinking I may be happier with a DA 21 ltd and the Tamron (I also have the 50 1.7) than with the 18-135 zoom. I'm way past the over the counter exchange period so you may se it posted soon.

I'm hoping that this summer it will prove it's worth, once I start doing canoe trips and hikes. It is better IQ than the kit lens, it's just that with my lenses, it's beginning to be hard to see where it fits in. I don't need good, I need spectacular, and so far, I have no indication this lens will do that.
03-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to say...
Well, your comparing the 18-135 with primes and macros. Of course those lenses will be better than the 18-135.

Its probably a very good zoom, and a step up from 18-55 in many areas. But it cant live up to your primes. In that case you probably did the right desicion to go for the 60-250 wich is neither in the same league as 18-135, not anywhere.
03-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wait, I lied, I do have one great image taken with this lens. This was taken at 53mm and the sharpness was impressive. That won't be apparent in a picture this size, but the ice huts etc are tack sharp, even when 1:1 pixel peeping.

03-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Are you in USA? I got a call just now, several shops in sweden recieved stock today! Maybe they forgott "over there" this time Nahh, kidding, they should be in soon!

I do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA, i do not have LBA....

bla bla bla
Western Canada for me.. but worse than that I'm in a small town of about 7500-8000 people and the closest city with a camera shop that carries decent stock is two and a half hours away. I prefer to support our local photo house anyways, as long as he remains competitive enough.

For me and my wife I think the 18-135 will mainly be used for taking pics of the kids, and candids etc.. It might make it into the pack for hikes/camping etc.. but I'm looking rather hard at the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 macro which I would imagine might be hard to pry off the K-5 if I had it.

Last edited by Chex; 03-05-2011 at 12:27 AM.