Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Western Canada for me.. but worse than that I'm in a small town of about 7500-8000 people and the closest city with a camera shop that carries decent stock is two and a half hours away. I prefer to support our local photo house anyways, as long as he remains competitive enough.

For me and my wife I think the 18-135 will mainly be used for taking pics of the kids, and candids etc.. It might make it into the pack for hikes/camping etc.. but I'm looking rather hard at the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 macro which I would imagine might be hard to pry off the K-5 if I had it.
Ok Your doing the right thing with your local shop! I bought my K-7 from a small local family bussines. Actually they pre-ordered mine and was able to get it to me from the very first batch.

The same for me regarding the 18-135, it will mainly be used for the things when i just dont want to bring primes and stuff, or big heavy lenses (wich i have none of). Birthdays at friends, small trips to family etc etc....
The primes will be used for my nature things, and at my "home amateur studio" with flashwork.

Btw, mine is due to arrive on monday/tuesday.

03-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice, I'm still very tempted to cancel it and order one of the 2 tamrons I want to cover from 28-200mm.. the 28-75mm Macro, then the 70-200mm Macro.Both are f2.8 and Macro.. far more versitle lenses than the 18-135, just lacks the weather proofing. which is why I think I'll keep it coming. WR + versatile range would be great for outings when I'm not sure how the weather is going to be. I'll be pinching pennies for the 70-200 after that.. then onto a prime collection or a 2x TC. But its not like I have LBA! I DON'T... I CAN'T... I especially can't afford it (until income tax returns come back! )
03-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
. But its not like I have LBA! I DON'T... I CAN'T... I especially can't afford it (until income tax returns come back! )
Dont resist your LBA. The force is to strong....

Edit: If i where you, wich i aint, but anyways... i would pair up that 43 with a 31 and 77 and pay less money for zooms. But hey....thats me
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Dont resist your LBA. The force is to strong....

Edit: If i where you, wich i aint, but anyways... i would pair up that 43 with a 31 and 77 and pay less money for zooms. But hey....thats me
You're not the only one... I'm 100% with you, love primes... however, the harsh reality is that, personally, I hate changing lenses, especially that it's not always possible... I mean i'm still horrified by that hiking trip where I was constantly switching 10.5mm FE -> 35mm -> 85mm ->180mm (Nikon).... damn... loved the outcome, hated the hauling and switching.... oh b.t.w.... none of these lenses weren't WR'd.... and somehow WR gods didn't punish me for such awful sinning...

03-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Maybe down the road I'll carry a bunch of primes.. right now my pack mules are too small, my oldest is 4 and youngest is 1 1/2.. they can't carry much and probably won't come on many hikes. They will carry those important things like snacks and the tripod to free up some weight for me to carry the primes! Granted Pentax primes are nice and small, I also can't afford $1300+ for the 31mm and another $900 for the 77mm. For now, heading out with the 18-135 and maybe a Raynox 150 and a 1.4 or 2x TC would be just perfect to cover almost everything I can think of. which leads me to another thing.. are there WR TC's?
03-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
right now my pack mules are too small, my oldest is 4 and youngest is 1 1/2.. they can't carry much and probably won't come on many hikes. They will carry those important things like snacks and the tripod to free up some weight for me to carry the primes!

which leads me to another thing.. are there WR TC's?
What the hell....

hmmm.... i have one of those to... cant walk yet, but in time.... in time....

Nope, dont think there is any WR TC... Hey! that should really be one of Pentax next things. And full electric support for in lens AF to.... Why the hell dont they make one???
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just recieved my 18-135. First impressions is great, very compact inspite the reach and built in AF.

Its heavier than im used to with Pentax lenses, but the compact size balances this out quite well on the K-7.
Its a joy to zoom it, and oh..... the AF.... I love it! Its blazing and locks fast. And very very quiet, it has a faint electrical sound to it.

The focus ring is...well... its there.. but not much more
It feels kinda like the DA* focus rings, the ring can be turned past the focus ends.
But theres a slight stop at the ends, so you can feel it.

The focus throw on the ring is really short, a half turn pretty exactly.
Even though this is very short, there's no doubt the DC is very fast and i hope to see it implemented in future lenses to.

People have said that the lack of a focus distance window is a negative side about this lens.
I think that would have make the lens bigger and we dont want that do we Imho that would be a unnecessary feature in a lens like this.

Its a super zoom, a good step up from the kitlenses. I will use it as a good to go lens, when i only want to bring the camera and one lens. For those times when i dont want to bring a buch of primes.

Regarding IQ i cant really comment on that now, exept for that it seems sharper and more contrasty to the 18-55 kit lens. No focus issues on my copy, yet.
I previously had the 16-45 wich is very punchy and sharp. The 18-135 does not quite live up to that, but its close i would say.
So price and value wize, the 16-45 may be the better buy. Or even the 17-70.
But this lens has WR and DC along with better reach.

I dont have time to show examples because its dark now, and my son is crying here so i'd better take care of that... right about.... now.

Last edited by the swede; 03-07-2011 at 10:41 AM.
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Kids can always wait when there's a new toy to play with

Glad your liking it - need more people to get their hands on it and try it out. It really is a good lens in the super-zoom class (admittedly I've never really used any other super-zoom )

Only problem I've had with it is that the DC motor is too good Coupled with the relatively poor performance of the K20D in focusing in very low light, I had trouble on the weekend knowing where the lens was focusing - although most of the time it was focusing on things behind people, despite using the center AF point and people being middle of frame. heh

Well, that was my first time taking shots at a bar (ha, shots!.... at a bar... ahem)... Perhaps I shouldn't have kept it on AF.C .... the lenses DC motor made for really fast adjustments back and forth... so it was sort of like roulette as to whether or not what I wanted in focus was actually in focus. Oh well.

03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Only problem I've had with it is that the DC motor is too good Coupled with the relatively poor performance of the K20D in focusing in very low light, I had trouble on the weekend knowing where the lens was focusing - although most of the time it was focusing on things behind people, despite using the center AF point and people being middle of frame. heh

Well, that was my first time taking shots at a bar (ha, shots!.... at a bar... ahem)... Perhaps I shouldn't have kept it on AF.C .... the lenses DC motor made for really fast adjustments back and forth... so it was sort of like roulette as to whether or not what I wanted in focus was actually in focus. Oh well.
I guess the K-5 would be great coupled to the 18-135 DC motor.

I get good performance in lowlight with it, with my K-7
03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I have a K-5 with the 18-135mm and I love it. I had an 18-55mm with my last camera and I always felt like I needed more range. This lens is excellent for that. No focus problems for me in my 2 weeks of use.
03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #56

Anyone know how this lens will perform on a K10D?
03-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Wow, I'mm starting to get frustrated. Not even a tracking number released for it yet.. so Pentax has not even shipped it. I ordered this well over 2 weeks ago! I'm SOOO close to cancelling my order and getting the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro and 28-75mm f2.8 Macro lenses instead, to hell with the WR! I just shot an inquiry to Pentax Canada to see if they will give me any incite.
03-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #58
Site Supporter

Today I used the lens taking photos of the guys at work playing indoor soccer.

The DC motor worked absolutely brilliantly in AF.C as I followed the action centered around the soccer ball and while I kept changing the focal length. My finger was spent half-pressing the shutter button throughout the game. It's probably the most intense use of auto-focus I've had on this camera There were times though that the lens chose to focus onto the netting infront of me rather than the people behind it, but that can't be helped - it's just a good thing the AF was fast enough to get me back into taking shots of the game.

Unfortunately, indoor soccer lighting isn't the greatest. I had to shoot ISO 800 or 1600 (I don't like to use 3200), and at a pretty slow shutter speed. So there's no great shots to show off - blurry since the guys move too fast for the shutter speed I had, and noisy thanks to the ISO..

Since the guys play indoor soccer every Tuesday, I'll have another go at it next week But, I'll bring my external flash with me this time - thankfully the indoor courts are reasonably small, and should have good enough reach for at least half the court from the sidelines, so I'm looking forward to seeing if it works.

P.S Dim/dark lighting seems to be the reoccurring theme for me... Bah.
03-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lets hope they implement this motor in future "fast aperture" lenses.

Now...the big questions is,
Will they even dare to do that since there is a complete DA* line???

Looking back (if i was a co), it feels like SDM is something to regret, very very much. Now they'll have to stick with it.....

So, how good the DC now might be, they probably WONT stick it into better lenses than this!!!

(note: i have no other experience than 50-135, wich was slooooow)
03-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nothing new about these pictures, but always nice for show