Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Some shots from Boston.

04-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #107
Inactive Account

Hi all,

Here are some shots I took with the 18-135, which I really like for its all around purpose... Still thinking to buy a ltd prime, but for the moment this lens is still a keeper!

Enjoy!

04-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #108
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Some shots from Boston.
Very nice set! Thanks for sharing
QuoteOriginally posted by Camos1313 Quote
Hi all,

Here are some shots I took with the 18-135, which I really like for its all around purpose... Still thinking to buy a ltd prime, but for the moment this lens is still a keeper!

Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing these. Very good looking images. Also proves that its not all in the lens!

The lens is surely a keeper. The only zoom one really needs (my pref). Only thing that i keep an lookout for is distortion at the 18mm end, but its not to bad really. I use it as a complement to a DA Ltd trio. And that package IS the only thing one ever needs
04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #109
Veteran Member

I really like this lens and am extremely happy I chose it over the 18-55mm with my K-5. I have noticed vignetting is pretty common. I forget what focal length as I usually end up cropping it out.

04-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great impressions from the lens. I wonder what Cheaper alternatives are out there, if any.
If not that big price tag, this could be my "always on" lens, when I'm not shooting my Taks.
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #111
Veteran Member

I can't say there's other cheaper alternatives... the 18-135mm is the only lens that is a superzoom, with a DC motor.. and with weather sealing...

If you want a superzoom, you'd have to sacrifice weather sealing and probably the motor... if you want weather sealing, you sacrifice the superzoom and the motor....

To be honest, i'd say the 18-135mm is a good deal for what it has and provides. Maybe wait for a sale or something if you want to buy... I managed to get mine when a store was selling it at a special price of something like $200 less than now...
04-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #112
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I can't say there's other cheaper alternatives... the 18-135mm is the only lens that is a superzoom, with a DC motor.. and with weather sealing...

If you want a superzoom, you'd have to sacrifice weather sealing and probably the motor... if you want weather sealing, you sacrifice the superzoom and the motor....

To be honest, i'd say the 18-135mm is a good deal for what it has and provides. Maybe wait for a sale or something if you want to buy... I managed to get mine when a store was selling it at a special price of something like $200 less than now...
How does it work on your K20d? Is the AF faster with the 18-135mm than with the 18-55 DA lens?

04-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Bump! For this thread.

Recent SOY Cosplay event where I am.
Cosplay is just the Japanese version of Comics/Sci-Fi fest for the uninitiated.

I did a review recently and posted it here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140258-review-...resistant.html

A point on the WR and how it can turn out to be wonderful to just have it.
A friend of mine recently went with a colleague who is into motor sports to a local motorcross event. Nice photos from them BTW. He was using a Nikon D90 and the 70-300. You just can't imagine the dust thrown about by these cars. Basically, he had a dusty red colored lens at the end of the day. At the awards ceremony, the champion poped the champagne sprayed it all round and well, you guessed it, free drinks to all the front photographers and their cameras
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nothing wrong with them, great shots

Couple taken with mine in Spain week before last.

04-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #115
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Bump! For this thread.
Cosplay is just the Japanese version of Comics/Sci-Fi fest for the uninitiated.

I did a review recently and posted it here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140258-review-...resistant.html

A point on the WR and how it can turn out to be wonderful to just have it.
A friend of mine recently went with a colleague who is into motor sports to a local motorcross event. Nice photos from them BTW. He was using a Nikon D90 and the 70-300. You just can't imagine the dust thrown about by these cars. Basically, he had a dusty red colored lens at the end of the day. At the awards ceremony, the champion poped the champagne sprayed it all round and well, you guessed it, free drinks to all the front photographers and their cameras
Great pictures! And thanks for posting them here!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Couple taken with mine in Spain week before last.
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Here's some ordinary "snaps" from me. Basicly daily family & friends stuff when i dont take the camera bag with me.
No advanced PP done here.

Last edited by the swede; 04-18-2011 at 12:10 PM.
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #116
Veteran Member

I just got back from a Caribbean vacation with the family, and I took my K-5 with my new and untested 18-135, and took my FA 35/2 just to have with me. The 18-135 performed wonderfully.

It was strange, but the 18-135 did not seem to be communicating properly with the K-5, in that exposure was consistently off using P mode. Sure, it was a tough environment with the bright sun, sand and surf, but I expected a bit better synergy between the newest camera and one of the newest lenses.

Through a bit of trial and error (just going based on the results on the LCD), I settled on standard settings of TAV mode, f7.1-f8, and shutter speed of 500-640 generally. In general, in TAV mode, the camera stayed around iso100. At night, if I used the built in flash on P mode, in Auto ISO of 100-3200, the camera would jump to ISO3200 despite using the flash. This resulted in somewhat noisy pictures at night, and again, I am not sure if everything was communicating properly.

All that said, once I dialed in the settings, I was very pleased with a large percentage of the pictures. Sharp, colorful, contrasty. 18-135mm was a great range to have, and offered a lot more versatility to me on a daily basis than if I had used let's say my Tamron 17-50 or 28-75. And having the weather resistance was very reassuring.

Glad I bought the lens, and it will become a walkaround staple for me. I'll try to get around to posting some shots from the trip.
04-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #117
Mr_Canuck

jeffrey_r, I'm glad to hear your positive comments about this lens as it looks like you have some high quality glass to compare it to.

This lens seems to have been well conceived and do what it was intended to do. While I am getting some limiteds and the 50-135 soon, I expect this will be my take-everywhere lens.

The way I look at it is this: right now, my only option for an all-round lens for hikes or whatever is a high-end Panasonic point-and-shoot. Whatever the shortfalls in border sharpness of the DA, it will surely beat the daylights out of the Panasonic. I will have no hesitation dumping this and the K5 into a small bag and taking it everywhere.
04-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've only taken the 18-135 on a couple of day trips. It did a fine job. I also carry the DA 15mm and DA 40mm Ltds in a small shoulder bag for wide angle and low light shots.

Edit: The next two photos were gone so I added these.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
04-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #119

Took my new 18-135 to sydney recently. pretty happy with it.
Here's a very common sight. JPEG straight out of K-7.

Last edited by SDAfoto; 04-22-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: add text
04-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Well Photozone finally has their review up.. but not totally completed. I must admit I'm on board with everything that the review states.. IQ wise this lens is over priced, but its livable and WR for multi use in any conditions. IMHO this lens should retail for $400 tops. I'm not "happy" with this lens, but at the same time, for having a decent walk about WR lens to not worry about.. it does the job, just with a bit higher price tag than it's worth.

Here's a shot from a recent trip to the Vancouver/Squamish area along the Sea To Sky highway.