Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Well, here are a few shots from my Caribbean vacation. These are JPEG's straight from the camera with no post-processing (I took too many photos to do this, with little free time to do it anyway). 16MP, three star quality. There were also a lot of family photos from the trip that came out really nice.

04-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been reading these 18-135 threads with interest. I bought one to simplify: replace my 18-55WR, 35-70 and 16-45 with a single lens, one that is solid, WR, relatively fast focusing, and not SDM (sorry, just don't trust it yet). While I knew I was paying somewhat of a premium this lens seemed to fit the bill, and had pretty good initial reviews.

I don't have the patience or know-how to run the technical tests. If I'm more likely to grab a camera because this lens is on it and conditions are variable, then that's a good thing. I hope I don't rue the decision because of image technical quality. I have been happy with the handling and color and contrast after the few images I've taken so far. Time will tell. Guess I could send it in for calibration, just in case. I've never done that with a lens (I probably shouldn't admit here).
04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the color rendering and it seems ok for CA's and such.. I'm just not impressed with how soft it is.. for $600 I should have put it towards a D FA 100mm WR Macro.
04-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #124
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gave this lens a work out the other day, leaving my Ltd's at home. This was not my intended use for this lens, but i thought i'd give it a chance at least. I find the results OK, but not any more, kinda like a kitlens. I guess im really spoiled by Ltd's. In every other aspect its a great lens to have as a single zoom, on day to day trips with the family leaving the camera bag at home.

So this set was taken purely to see how it would work where i use my Ltd's. Looking for sharpness, contrast, colors. They are all PP'ed to my liking and my taste, wich i think makes sence. There is no sharpening at all though, and the pictures look softer than they are because of Photobucket.
There is also vignetting added to many of the pictures, because i like it. So dont faint when looking at them. Thats my taste of PP.
Dont see the need to post clean Jpeg's from RAW. We want to see the end result dont we?

So... starting of at 135mm.
This was shot on tripod at f8. The soft corners are visible here.

also 135mm at f8, this is more of an isolated subject shot.

53mm at f8

60mm at f6,3

The rest is at 18-20 from f8 to f10. Here we also se the soft corners and that they never catch up regarding sharpness. I however find the WA results OK.

Shooting candids with the lens is however much better, the colors, clarity, bokeh and isolated sharpness i great to have in combination with the range and AF. Great for family stuff Imho.

Again. Potential byers must ask themselves if its all worth the price tag.

Last edited by the swede; 04-26-2011 at 06:58 AM.
04-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #125
Veteran Member

I would honestly have to say that is a little hard to judge the corners as they may have resulted from lens resolution on those first two 135mm shots.

As it is displayed on my screen, the first shot is not all that sharp in the middle, either. Where was the point of focus, perhaps on the house on the right?

The second 135mm shot has a nice, crisp center, but the corners don't seem to be within the expected depth of field, so it is difficult to say how much softness the lens performance contributed.
04-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #126
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I would honestly have to say that is a little hard to judge the corners as they may have resulted from lens resolution on those first two 135mm shots.

As it is displayed on my screen, the first shot is not all that sharp in the middle, either. Where was the point of focus, perhaps on the house on the right?

The second 135mm shot has a nice, crisp center, but the corners don't seem to be within the expected depth of field, so it is difficult to say how much softness the lens performance contributed.
The first shot was focused at the midle of the picture, this must be at least 200 meters away. I guess (without knowing to much about it) that it would not have mattered where i focused in that particular frame.

So i guess with "lens resolution" you mean that its so far away, that sharpness i difficult to avhieve (with this lens that is)?

When i think about it, it was quite warm that day so there might be thermal movement above the ground. Still... the corner softnes is there no matter what

Yes, the second shot is nice and crisp in the center, as i wrote: "this is more of an isolated subject shot". So the point in that picture was not to show any softness but merely the sharpness in the center at 135mm.
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Gave this lens a work out the other day, leaving my Ltd's at home. This was not my intended use for this lens, but i thought i'd give it a chance at least. I find the results OK, but not any more, kinda like a kitlens. I guess im really spoiled by Ltd's. In every other aspect its a great lens to have as a single zoom, on day to day trips with the family leaving the camera bag at home.
I would say we are very much in the same boat... I feel like this lens is a rain/snow lens only.. dry days it can stay at home holding down some papers. I guess thats what I get for not waiting for enough reviews to hit before I ordered it. Wish Photozones review was done when he got the lens, then updated later.. instead of withheld.
Here are some quotes from the Photozone review:

" The biggest problem of the lens is its pricing which is simply not in line with the optical performance. Better consider the Pentax DA-SMC 17-70mm f/4 SDM instead which is a far better lens."

"Just to mention again - we couldn't believe the rather poor performance so we asked the local Pentax service in Hamburg/Germany for an assessment of the situation. Result: the lens is within factory specifications."

"After the friction this has caused in the community I will request a statement from Pentax once again why they think that this is a valid sample."

04-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
The first shot was focused at the midle of the picture, this must be at least 200 meters away. I guess (without knowing to much about it) that it would not have mattered where i focused in that particular frame.

So i guess with "lens resolution" you mean that its so far away, that sharpness i difficult to avhieve (with this lens that is)?

When i think about it, it was quite warm that day so there might be thermal movement above the ground. Still... the corner softnes is there no matter what

Yes, the second shot is nice and crisp in the center, as i wrote: "this is more of an isolated subject shot". So the point in that picture was not to show any softness but merely the sharpness in the center at 135mm.
I'd guess some thermal issues were at play in the shot of the farm field, because the center is not nearly as crisp as the next one. The farm is almost impressionistic.
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'd guess some thermal issues were at play in the shot of the farm field, because the center is not nearly as crisp as the next one. The farm is almost impressionistic.
The "thermal issues" seem especially evident in the two bottom corners.
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Clearly the front corners would be in the defocussed area. DOF is not infinite you know.
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #131
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Agreed...

If one want better corner sharpness in a zoom at 135mm and if the inteded use would be shots where sharpness need to cover the whole frame. Then...dont buy it.
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #132
Veteran Member

At ranges beyond 70mm if I want corner sharpness I use my Tamron SP Adaptol 70-210mm or my SMC Tak 200mm. The 18-135mm renders color very nicely, but IMHO colors and contrast can be done in PP where as sharpness can't.
04-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Clearly the front corners would be in the defocussed area. DOF is not infinite you know.
The corners are blurrier than the bottom border in the middle. The area in focus is not always flat, either -- there may be field curvature. However, that photo confirms photozone's observations (abysmal performance in the extreme areas) and photozone claimed to account for field curvature. I don't have the lens so I can't confirm any of this personally.
04-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I would agree. The entire foreground is less sharp on my screen, though the corners may be somewhat more so. I keep waiting for the brick wall shot.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Is that what you think it is?

When nothing in the shot is in crisp focus, it is not the best shot to compare the sharpness of different areas.