Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
?'s about non-SMC takumar 135mm 2.5

Hi. New pentaxian - still awaiting delivery of k-r and 4 lenses, one of which is the Takumar 135mm 2.5 non-SMC version.

Is this a screw-mount lens? If so, I assume I need the adapter. Also, I hear this lens has some flare issues that can be mitigated with a hood, but I cannot find a hood for this lens listed anywhere on the net. It's a 52mm lens, unlike a lot of the other 135's, I guess , which seem to be 58mm. I read that it has a slide-out hood, but I can't see that from the forum pic of the lens. I ordered from a reputable dealer, but there was no pic on the site, so I could not determine the existence of a built-in hood or lack thereof.

Does anyone know about this lens and have any comments on its useability, while we're at it?

Thanks,
Aaron

02-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Before purchasing shouldn't you be aware of what mount it is? Anyways besides that point from my knowledge if it is not a SMC Takumar and just a regular ones. I believe it should be a K mount. One of the ones that Pentax slapped the name Takumar on to entice people to buy. But I'm not 100% I'm 75% confident on that one. I would suggest you goto the lens review section and look up 135mm and see what is available. The data there is quite extensive.
02-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it has "Takumar (Bayonet)" printed on it's focus ring, then it is a K-mount, and takes 52mm filters. Otherwise it is probably a M42 screw-mount.

The "Takumar (Bayonet)" 135mm has a built in hood. At least mine does
02-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I tend to associate Takumar, AKA Super-Takumar AKA Super-Tak AKA Auto-Takumar with M42 Universal Screwmount. I've never seen a K Bayonet Tak, I thought they were somewhat rare? But I could be wrong about that. Anyways, if it's M42 you'll need an adapter, or, better still, an M42 camera. Pentax, Ricoh, Mamiya-Sekor, they're all good! The Takumars are very fine lenses. It's hard to find a BAD 135mm so I'm guessing that a 135mm from one of the premier lens manufacturers will be very good indeed. The Amber-Orange coating of the pre-SMC taks is superb, not quite on the level of SMC, but it lends a bit of a different character than SMC, which can be preferable for certain types of shooting. In fact, some film shooters prefer Pre-SMC glass. As far as flare, there might be a bit from time to time, but nothing major. You're more likely to see Newton Rings. Both of my Super-Taks, the 35mm 3.5 and the 55 1.8, show these from time to time. And... untrained eyes mistake it for flare. It isn't. Flare can easily be controlled with a hood, but I rarely use one because I find hoods to be awkward and delicate. My Super-Taks handle flare quite gracefully when it does appear, which is usually only in very bright conditions when the main light source is just a few degrees off the frame. In these situations I find a bit of flare, if handled properly and not overwhelming, is not a problem. YMMV.
If I missed anything, let me know.

02-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I tend to associate Takumar, AKA Super-Takumar AKA Super-Tak AKA Auto-Takumar with M42 Universal Screwmount. I've never seen a K Bayonet Tak, I thought they were somewhat rare?
If I missed anything, let me know.
Then you aren't looking close enough..

Pentax Non-SMC & Other Pentax Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.hollows Quote
Hi. New pentaxian - still awaiting delivery of k-r and 4 lenses, one of which is the Takumar 135mm 2.5 non-SMC version.

Is this a screw-mount lens? If so, I assume I need the adapter. Also, I hear this lens has some flare issues that can be mitigated with a hood, but I cannot find a hood for this lens listed anywhere on the net. It's a 52mm lens, unlike a lot of the other 135's, I guess , which seem to be 58mm. I read that it has a slide-out hood, but I can't see that from the forum pic of the lens. I ordered from a reputable dealer, but there was no pic on the site, so I could not determine the existence of a built-in hood or lack thereof.

Does anyone know about this lens and have any comments on its useability, while we're at it?

Thanks,
Aaron
If it has 52mm filter thread and is a 135/2.5 it cannot be a m42 lens, but must be the Takumar (bayonet) 135mm f2.5. This is a 4-4 lens Ernostar optical design, while the Super Takumar 135mm f2.5 is an enhanced Ernostar, a 5-4 solution with a modified front doublet, designed by Yasuo Takahash, and the better lens.
The Takumar bayonet lenses were a low budget option made by one of Pentax daughter branches in a separate factory and without the SMC coating, though with a simpler coating. It is actually the same optical formula as the SMC Pentax-A 135mm f2.8, but the lack of SMC makes it more prone to flare and gives an overall lower contrast. Non the less, with use of the lens hood (and it may be a good idea to buy a deeper lens hood than the fairly short built in one), it can still do a good job. It is a very common lens sold in large numbers. I got mine last summer from a 2nd hand shop for about 20USD, though my mother have had one since the 80's.
Visit the 135mm lens club for examples.
02-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I used to own this lens. It isn't the best lens, but it's far from the worst. My opinion of the lens is pretty similar to what you find in the reviews here. I mostly used in with film cameras, but it did well enough on my K10D. The lens is built well and it's solid, with a nice pull-out hood.

If it's the Takumar (Bayonet) lens you won't have to worry about an adapter.
02-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Back in the seventies and eighties, Pentax released the Takumar (Bayonet) lenses, which were lower-cost versions of the SMC lenses. As their name implies (by omission), they do not have the same level of lens coating as the more expensive SMC lenses. Therefore, they are probably a little more prone to flare and might have slightly lower contrast.

I don't know how their optical formulas compared to the more expensive lenses. OTOH, I don't believe that Pentax ever made a truly BAD lens, so these should be decent performers. They were never known to be the best that Pentax ever made, though.

If they don't say Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar or SMC Takumar, then they are definetly NOT screwmount lenses. There were 135/2.5 screwmount lenses, but other than the earliest lenses from the fifties, all the ones that say merely "Takumar" are k-mount lenses.

02-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

When we talk about Taks here, it gets a little confusing.

Typing "Super Takumar" is easy to understand. Typing "Super Multi Coated Takumar" is easy to understand. And typing "SMC Takumar" SHOULD be easy to understand, but it isn't. Because...

Many of us, to save time, type "S-M-C" to indicate "Super Multi Coated," while SMC Takumars are a LATER generation, and construction differences are night and day. It can arguably be said, except I ain't ready to argue it, that the S-M-Cs are generally superior to the SMCs. And hey--at least that's what the PRICES seem to indicate.

As far as the actual coating goes, I only own one Super-Multi-Coated, and I basically experience zero flare on any of my Super Taks (in sunny FLORIDA!), except for my 105 which I hate to death and wish would burn in hell. So while I'm not denying the benefits of this coating, I simply think that build quality and IQ was stepped up a notch when they came out with the Super-Multi-Coateds:

I love my Supers, and it could very well be that it's other folks' superior talents that makes me think dollar for dollar, the Super-Multi-Coateds seem to result in better shots.

But not just because of the coating.

---------- Post added 02-26-11 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

If they don't say Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar or SMC Takumar, then they are definetly NOT screwmount lenses. There were 135/2.5 screwmount lenses, but other than the earliest lenses from the fifties, all the ones that say merely "Takumar" are k-mount lenses.
And if you see "Auto Takumar," that's a really old M42 mount "preset" lens, with what can be called an "additional" step-down aperture ring.

Too lazy to explain it now, so PM me or someone else will come along to explain this.

However, I grant you 5 gold stars for buying Taks!!!
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

As far as the actual coating goes, I only own one Super-Multi-Coated, and I basically experience zero flare on any of my Super Taks (in sunny FLORIDA!), except for my 105 which I hate to death and wish would burn in hell.
I'll take it for you!
In all seriousness, that's supposed to be a pretty desirable lens. Why the hate?
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
And if you see "Auto Takumar," that's a really old M42 mount "preset" lens, with what can be called an "additional" step-down aperture ring.

However, I grant you 5 gold stars for buying Taks!!!
Not quite. The "Auto Takumar" lenses are the generation between the original Takumar (or Tele Takumars) and the Super Takumars. Most "Auto Takumar" lenses are what some call "semi-automatic". These have a lever that must be operated to cock the aperture stop-down mechanism. Then, when the shutter is tripped, just like the Super Taks, the camera pushes the little pin on the back of the lens to cause the iris to stop down to the selected aperture. The difference is that, unlike the S-T's, the SMC Taks, or the S-M-C Taks, the aperture on an Auto Tak does not re-open immediately.

Some of the last Auto Taks did, in fact, have auto-reopen apertures, just as some of the last Super Taks had the Super Multi Coating, even though they didn't have the name or the aperture coupling for the ES, Spot-F and ES-II.

Preset lenses are completely manual. There are two rings. Typically, one has detents, just like any other lens, while the other ring is free-wheeling. You "preset" the aperture on the detent ring. This limits the movement of the other ring. You look through the viewfinder, focus, compose the shot, all with the aperture wide-open. THen, just before shooting, you manually stop the lens down until the detent ring stops it. Only then do you trip the shutter.

When I used preset lenses on my Spotmatic, I usually just left it set at f/22 or whatever the minimum aperture was. Since the Spotmatic used a needle and stop down metering, it was easy to select a shutter speed and then turn the free-wheeling aperture ring until the needle centered, then take the shot.
02-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are some Takumars that are bayonet lenses, here is a complete list:

Takumar Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If the Tak in question is indeed a Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5, be aware that:

1) Many despise it because it ain't SMC or S-M-C or whatever.
2) It's still better than 95% of the non-Pentax competition.

If I want to use a small sharp 135/3.5, I'll grab the S-M-C-Takumar (M42) or the SMC-M (PK mount). If I want character and sharpness, I'll grab the Enna Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5 or the Jupiter-11 135/4 (both M42). But if I want speed, it's the TakBay 135/2.5. Don't shoot into point-light sources, and it's just fine. And it's nice and cheap. I like cheap.
02-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.hollows Quote

Thanks,
Aaron
hi Aaron. if it comes with the same mount as the other lenses, it should be a K-mount and not a screw mount which is good since you wont need an adapter for it. the bad new is, if you were expecting it to be as as good as the SMC 135/2.5, it would fail your expectations.
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have this exact same lens, , K mount, integrated hood, manual focus.
I just took some photo with my K-5
I will if I can put one here