Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
My Voigtlander is KA as well, but I don't see an A setting on the aperture ring of the Samyang.

Edit: Perhaps the "22" setting in red is doubling as the "A" setting?
I would imagine that is the case. That's how Nikon's "D" lenses are. Lens set to max aperture makes it camera controlled.

02-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I think a 500 dollar lens should have some form of autofocus...
LoL!!!
This made me seriously laugh in the middle of packed Charing Cross train station...
I mean, this quote should be sent to Carl Zeiss HQ...
02-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

I find good uses for my DA 40's snappy autofocus...

not sure how this lens would be much different.

But i suspect most of you are better at manual focus than I, anyhow.
F1.4 vs f2.8 is THE difference.
We all know that you struggle wit focusing whether it's AF or MF and therefore you choose to use slower lenses to be able to mask this.
But there is still very good use for faster (read sub f2) lenses even (or I'd rather say especially) with MF. If you know your stuff and are precise enough you'll end up with tons of keepers.
Again, speaking comparatively, 35mm f1.4 on APSC is not so super thin. In FF terms you'd be speking of 55/2 or so in terms of FOV/DOF combination. Can you imagine the DOF of 50/1.2 on FF? Then we can bi*!h about thin DOF. 35/1.4 should be perfectly manageable for any decen photographer...
02-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hey axl I think you are being a little rude.

Even if the lens is 1.4 that does not mean it does not have to have autofocus?

Autofocus is a damn useful feature even if you are a pro manual focuser.

I'm not sure why the zeiss lenses have no AF but I'm going to guess that it would be entirely POSSIBLE.

I can respect the need of some people for an f1.4 lens but it's not like all 1.4 lenses are manual focus...I was not calling the speed of the lens into question.

"we all know you struggle with focus" - yikes. I wasn't aware. I suppose I'm not man enough to hang with your crew...

I brought up the DA 40 because someone said that AF at 35mm was not incredibly useful, which I would have to disagree with...

02-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I don't think autofocus is that big of a deal, but I seriously don't understand why this samyang and zeiss's for example don't even use KA mount! It can't be that expensive to add, and it certainly doesn't hamper build/optical quality.

I can assure you that Zeiss ZK lenses use a KA mount. The only thing manual is the focus, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Having AF would destroy the sublime manual focus feel.
02-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

It's not about if you are man enough and whatever...
Couldn't care less if you are man, woman or a child. Every time thread pops up discussing anything faster than f2.8 you come along saying how great DA40 is...and how near useless wide open fast lenses are because they are either soft or half of the picture is OOF.
I do appreciate AF, I have 4 AF lenses and do use the regularly as such, only at certain occasion switching to MF (less so early as I can't for the hell of it nail focus with K-7's stock screen and haven't ordered split prism one yet). But quote such as: "500 USD lens should have some sort of AF..." Please... How about all those Leica, Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses?!? All available new, all available well over 500USD. Could they make them AF? Possibly so but the rather dwell on precision. With lenses that fast you simply need good focusing throw to be able to focus precisely, especially at closer ranges and higher magnifications.
If they made them AF, it would be painfully slow. Besides AF systems are not very inteligent things and at certai situations the precision achieved by skill combined with right gear results in keeper from single frame as apposed to focus bracketed AFed shots
So yes, not all f1.4 lenses are MF but there are many folks who will MF f1.4 lens shot wide open if it mattters and if it offers decent MF ring.
As for the slightly steep price of the new Samyang. Show my any new FF capable 35mm lens faster than f2 that would be cheaper?!?
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If they made them AF, it would be painfully slow. Besides AF systems are not very inteligent things and at certai situations the precision achieved by skill combined with right gear results in keeper from single frame as apposed to focus bracketed AFed shots
This is a good answer to my original comment.

And the only reason I bring up the DA 40 is because it is my one high quality lens (other than the 15 which is a completely different beast).

It would be ridiculous for me to compare them to any of my other rather run of the mill lenses. However when shooting action the AF of any of my lenses is rather invaluable... and I'm sure that it would be true when you are talking about the FA limiteds as well. The Sigma 30 is AF.

Once again, I'm not sure why those prestige lenses are all MF, but Nikon and Canon manage to produce some very high quality, fast, AF lenses at f1.2! Sure they are crazy expensive but these lenses DO have autofocus and work just fine. Just saying.

Last edited by paperbag846; 02-26-2011 at 03:55 PM.
02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

This is a good answer to my original comment.

And the only reason I bring up the DA 40 is because it is my one high quality lens (other than the 15 which is a completely different beast).

It would be ridiculous for me to compare them to any of my other rather run of the mill lenses. However when shooting action the AF of any of my lenses is rather invaluable... and I'm sure that it would be true when you are talking about the FA limiteds as well. The Sigma 30 is AF.

Once again, I'm not sure why those prestige lenses are all MF, but Nikon and Canon manage to produce some very high quality, fast, AF lenses at f1.2! Sure they are crazy expensive but these lenses DO have autofocus and work just fine. Just saying.
I hear nothing but issues with the AF F/1.2 lenses from canon.....

F/1.2 is hard to focus accurately for any AF system
02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
F/1.2 is hard to focus accurately for any AF system
That explains my experience with the FA 50 1.4!

But I would assume that as soon as you stop the lens down (the 1.2 lens) then AF would become much more usable?

I would suspect that while f1.2 would be nice to have, those lenses would frequently be used under f4?
02-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have Rokinon 14/2.8 which is mean to be rebadged Samyang 14/2.8 and it is a KA mount. Metering seems fine (so far) and AF is a non-issue for an ultra wide-angle.
02-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

pretty steep for a Samyang lens. should had gone for as much as their 85/1.4 is selling. I don't think it will sell well especially if Sigma offers something with AF.
02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #27

Original Poster
As far as I know, all the new Samyang lenses (re-badged or not) are KA Mount. The 14 and the 85 are, so I would assume even though the 35 is advertised as K-mount it is a KA mount. The picture on the ShaSHinki site is a stock image of a Nikon mount. Hence the red f22 mark. In fact they use the same stock photo for the Nikon, Canon, Samsung and Olympus mount versions.

As for the conversation regarding auto-focus vs manual focus, it doesn't really bother me if it's manual, I can focus just fine. It just would have been nice if it were autofocus. I understand that it is much harder to adapt lenses to multiple autofocus systems vs MF so I assume the choice was for a reduced cost. The thing that bothers me is that Samyang is kinda a new comer in the higher or middle end lens market, even if this is priced affordably, it's a little pricey for many, especially since there are very high quality lenses in this price bracket (or cheaper) that have autofocus. Samyang has been historically know for cheap slow low performing lenses until the introduction of the 14 and 85. Both are great in their price bracket, but not breaking any resolution records overall. Hence the real reason I say I won't buy it till I see some real tests by a third party. I know the FA35 and DA35 are good to great lenses. I don't know if the Samyang is. What use is f1.4 if it simply isn't a sharp lens. I love the fact that it is f1.4 and will definitely get one if it can prove itself worthy. Otherwise, feed it to the lions!
02-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suspect that making a lens that syncs well with all the manufacturers' AF systems would add a good deal of development time as well.

I personally prefer MF for anything under F/2.8. For such a wide aperture, placing the focus point with precision is critical. I've also been pleasantly reminded lately while using my 40mm Ultron on film that hyperfocal shooting comes pretty easily around this focal length. I don't miss the AF much on my older bodies (though I still use the DA40 on my K-x).
02-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Probably, overall. I don't know how the quality control is, but Sigma seems hit or miss. Not really a big deal, just a pain to send in and get calibrated.

The Sigma 30mm is not an option for me, anyway. So a fast, sharp 35mm at $500 is pretty tempting. Especialy since a Zeiss at f2 is quite a bit more, and doesn't necessarily outperform. Has unique colors and look, though.
Hit or miss based on what data? The anecdotal reports on web forums where people only complain when they have a problem not when everything is working as it should? I have purchased 3 sigma lenses, 10-20, 150-50, and the 30 1.4, none of which have problems. So from my perspective Sigma quality is top notch.

A Samyang 4th tier lens in MF for more than the Sigma, someone has been smoking to much weed...

The sigma is plenty sharp...

Last edited by mtroute; 02-26-2011 at 07:38 PM.
02-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
A Samyang 4th tier lens in MF for more than the Sigma, someone has been smoking to much weed...
I'll have to agree with you there.