Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
It's also competing with the Pentax DA35mm which is no slouch ether, but a whole stop slower, but also $300 LESS!
Again, Samyang is FF and DA35 is cropped... the point to make a FULL FRAME 35/1.4 MF lens is absolutely not to compete w/ the likes of the cropped, darker (1.5 stops, not 1 stop), AF analogs populating 5% of the market at best.

02-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Again, Samyang is FF and DA35 is cropped... the point to make a FULL FRAME 35/1.4 MF lens is absolutely not to compete w/ the likes of the cropped, darker (1.5 stops, not 1 stop), AF analogs populating 5% of the market at best.
the DA35 is FF compatible as was already reported. as far as stops are concerned, it will depend on how good the Samyang is at f1.4 and f2.
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Veteran Member

"speed demon" is merely 1/3 to 1/2 (depends on how you and Pentax are rounding) stops faster then 1.4...
it does not depend on how you round it off, but a fact that it is half-stop difference. it has already been observed and proven tested here. the supposed 1/3 difference was a test conducted between a Pentax 1.2 and the Cosina 1.2. maybe you were referring to the Cosina and not the Pentax which is 1/3 brighter than the Cosina.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.
02-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
My point is that the QA problems are perceived to be very bad based on anecdotal evidence not any hard data. Using that logic then Pentax makes a pretty shitty lens as well since all the lenses with SDM always fail based on what I have read here.
I've never had a Sigma lens that AF'd as well as a manufacturer lens out of the box. Nor has a friend of mine who has shot Canon and Nikon. All lenses were either returned or calibrated. Add on top the people that I've read on message boards that I trust what they say, and yes, I'd say they have issues out of the gate. I've never heard of a bad thing about their customer service. I've heard of amazing turn around for calibration. If they're that quick to perform the work, I would think they recognize the chance of that problem arising. I think they're trying to get away from that. The 50mm is great, but seemed to suffer from higher than average focus shift. The 85mm I haven't heard anything but good things. The build quality seems to be much greater as well.

It seems pretty obvious that Pentax had issues initially with their SDM. Either you're denying you believe that, or you're creating a red herring out of it to try to argue your case. Either way, it's not the best method to support your argument.

02-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #50
Forum Member

hmm, I've had nothing but positive experiences with sigma/tamron products.

Also my experience with sigma customer service was much better than my experience with pentax customer service. I have never dealt with nikon/canon/tamron customer service.
02-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep in mind that the Samyang 35mm is competing with the FA35mm f2. Sure it's half a stop slower, but it has outstanding resolution.
The difference between f/2 and f/1.4 is a full stop, not a half stop.

The whole point to that rant is that there are lots of really good options available in the same price range or lots less that come equiped with AF. If I am going to purchase the Samyang, it will either have to test to be an outstanding lens, capable of way better results then the Pentax offerings, or it will have to come down in price.
The same argument could be had about the Zeiss 35/2. It's more expensive than the FA31 (and all the others) and is manual focus - is it worth the difference when it's slower, more expensive, and has no AF?

I'm sure Samyang has looked at the market and didn't take the decision to build a lens that is more expensive than others without bringing something new to the table. The 8mm has a unique projection style, the 14mm is very sharp, the 85mm is sharp wide open and has a really low price for an 85 - I'm pretty sure that if the 35mm is more expensive, it's going to have some advantages.
02-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
as of the moment, $500 for an untested manual focus lens is not a nice deal for most consumers.
Manual focus lenses by their nature are not a nice deal for most consumers. This is a niche market to begin with.
02-27-2011, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

it is not in the sense that FA35/2 is not in production anymore and you kind of forgetting that nobody cares that much about Pentax w/ its tiny marketshare... Samyang is making lens for almost all major mounts and it is actually a favor to Pentax that K mount is not dropped like certain elite names did.
Excellent point worth remembering. Zeiss and Voigtlander stopped production for Pentax. Sigma and Tamron think twice before bringing new lenses for K mount. Pentax moves production to Vietnam and brings more DAL lenses. Still we're not happy. If it's expensive, it's too expensive, if it's cheap, it's too cheap.

02-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #54

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
If it's expensive, it's too expensive, if it's cheap, it's too cheap.
Good point.
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #55

Original Poster
So, just out of curiosity, who is going to go out an by the new Samyang 35mm f1.4 at it's current price? Just asking because if any of you do, please post some sort of a review regarding the performance of this lens, so the rest of us who are on the fence about it (including me) can know if it's worth the money or not.
02-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #56
Veteran Member

So, just out of curiosity, who is going to go out an by the new Samyang 35mm f1.4 at it's current price? Just asking because if any of you do, please post some sort of a review regarding the performance of this lens, so the rest of us who are on the fence about it (including me) can know if it's worth the money or not.
I would toy with the idea at that price if it were through Adorama or B&H. I would be able to take solice in the fact if I didn't like it, they would be fine with taking it back.
02-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #57
Veteran Member

From what I've found online, the lens is to be released at the end of March, and they have released a "limited production run" currently.
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #58

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I would toy with the idea at that price if it were through Adorama or B&H. I would be able to take solice in the fact if I didn't like it, they would be fine with taking it back.
Very good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
From what I've found online, the lens is to be released at the end of March, and they have released a "limited production run" currently.
You are correct sir.
02-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #59
Veteran Member

not me. probably around $350 I might consider + return policy. for $500, say hello to the FA43.
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #60

Original Poster
That was the number I had in my head, but then again, that all hinges on a very positive review. Otherwise it's the FA35 for me.