Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I can assure you that Zeiss ZK lenses use a KA mount. The only thing manual is the focus, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Having AF would destroy the sublime manual focus feel.
Good to know! I was basing my thoughts after reading about the Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar, which was manual-aperture on Nikon mount as posted in the photozone.de review. After doing a little research, I totally agree and apologize for my comment earlier, it looks like most all of them are built in KA mount now!

02-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No reason for me to write much in this thread--it is all done for me already.

QuoteQuote:
Damian: As for the conversation regarding auto-focus vs manual focus, it doesn't really bother me if it's manual, I can focus just fine. It just would have been nice if it were autofocus. I understand that it is much harder to adapt lenses to multiple autofocus systems vs MF so I assume the choice was for a reduced cost. The thing that bothers me is that Samyang is kinda a new comer in the higher or middle end lens market, even if this is priced affordably, it's a little pricey for many, especially since there are very high quality lenses in this price bracket (or cheaper) that have autofocus. Samyang has been historically know for cheap slow low performing lenses until the introduction of the 14 and 85.
Agreed!

QuoteQuote:
mtroute: Hit or miss based on what data? The anecdotal reports on web forums where people only complain when they have a problem not when everything is working as it should? I have purchased 3 sigma lenses, 10-20, 150-50, and the 30 1.4, none of which have problems. So from my perspective Sigma quality is top notch.
Agreed! Nice shot btw.
QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor pretty steep for a Samyang lens. should had gone for as much as their 85/1.4 is selling. I don't think it will sell well especially if Sigma offers something with AF.
Agreed!
02-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
pretty steep for a Samyang lens. should had gone for as much as their 85/1.4 is selling. I don't think it will sell well especially if Sigma offers something with AF.
Samyang is FF lens, Sigma is cropped... based on MTF published Samyang resolves much better @ the borders than Sigma... and it actually does that good @ the borders even for FF
02-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Samyang is FF lens, Sigma is cropped... based on MTF published Samyang resolves much better @ the borders than Sigma... and it actually does that good @ the borders even for FF
MTF as claimed by Samyang. that however, is yet to be put to the test by other neutral test sites. regardless if it's FF, it is still a Samyang which makes it overpriced.
for $500, you can get a Pentax FF FA43 or the speed demon A50/1.2 manual focus FF lens. unless the Samyang is really true to what the MTF charts says that it is, then only the $500 is warranted. but for now, no images, no way of telling.

02-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #35

I'm sure the price will change very soon, guys. If you look at the other stuff on that site, they're all waaaaaay overpriced. Like a DA40 for over $500. Im sure once Amazon, B&H and Adorama get a hold of em we will see something more acceptable.
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I think a 500 dollar lens should have some form of autofocus...
Consider that the Nikon AF equivalent is $2000.
02-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Samyang has been historically know for cheap slow low performing lenses until the introduction of the 14 and 85. Both are great in their price bracket, but not breaking any resolution records overall.
What? The 14mm is amazingly sharp. It has distortion issues, but sharpness is not a problem. It's sharper than the 15mm limited.

BTW, Samyang also had the 8mm fisheye. The 35mm is their 4th lens now.

Their lineup is fine. We'll just have to wait for the reviews of this 35mm. If it is as sharp as the 14mm but avoids the distortion issues, it might turn out to be a great lens. Check the price of the Zeiss 35mm. And the photozone review of the Sigma 30mm is not glowing - looks like it lacks sharpness off-center and CA are a bit of a problem too. If the Samyang is sharper across the frame and has less CA, it would be worth the money.

Re: AF vs. MF:

As far as Samyang is concerned, they don't build AF because it would make their lenses costlier (more than $50) and they know very well they're not a recognized brand yet so they try to offer IQ at the lowest price possible - that means eliminating the extra features like AF/IS that only make the lens build more complex and expensive to produce and service - just read the interview on lenstip where the question of AF is asked.

As far as I am concerned, I'm glad to see MF lenses in production. I don't like AF, because focusing rings are crappier and you get one more failure point. Check lensrentals.com - the majority of lens failures is due to failure of AF, IS, or zooming mechanism. Best lens to have to last you a lifetime? A MF prime!

02-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member

regardless if it's FF, it is still a Samyang which makes it overpriced. For $500, you can get a Pentax FF FA43 or the speed demon A50/1.2 manual focus FF lens.
Remember this is a 35mm lens for a 135 image circle. Not a normal lens.
02-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #39

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
I'm sure the price will change very soon, guys. If you look at the other stuff on that site, they're all waaaaaay overpriced. Like a DA40 for over $500. Im sure once Amazon, B&H and Adorama get a hold of em we will see something more acceptable.
Agreed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What? The 14mm is amazingly sharp. It has distortion issues, but sharpness is not a problem. It's sharper than the 15mm limited.

BTW, Samyang also had the 8mm fisheye. The 35mm is their 4th lens now.

Their lineup is fine. We'll just have to wait for the reviews of this 35mm. If it is as sharp as the 14mm but avoids the distortion issues, it might turn out to be a great lens. Check the price of the Zeiss 35mm. And the photozone review of the Sigma 30mm is not glowing - looks like it lacks sharpness off-center and CA are a bit of a problem too. If the Samyang is sharper across the frame and has less CA, it would be worth the money.

Re: AF vs. MF:

As far as Samyang is concerned, they don't build AF because it would make their lenses costlier (more than $50) and they know very well they're not a recognized brand yet so they try to offer IQ at the lowest price possible - that means eliminating the extra features like AF/IS that only make the lens build more complex and expensive to produce and service - just read the interview on lenstip where the question of AF is asked.

As far as I am concerned, I'm glad to see MF lenses in production. I don't like AF, because focusing rings are crappier and you get one more failure point. Check lensrentals.com - the majority of lens failures is due to failure of AF, IS, or zooming mechanism. Best lens to have to last you a lifetime? A MF prime!
Hay, I'm not knocking their current lens line up, at least not the new lenses. But as I said, historically they have produced, well, crap. To be fair they produced good crap, but crap none the less. For that I submit all those slow 500mm mirror lenses and the long 500mm telephoto f8 presets that, although relatively sharp, were awkward and useless to most. Their current lens lineup is a huge step forward for Samyang. I'm very happy to see they are taking these steps. It's good to know there are other more affordable options available out there for photographers wanting quality optics at a reasonable price. The 14mm, although relatively sharp, depending on the copy you get, also has bad distortion and many have issues with focusing past infinity. The 85mm 1.4 is a great lens. I don't have one personally, but from what I have seen it's only real issue is resolution at the low aperture end and peak resolution is not huge. Still, from what I've seen it capable of stunning results. I honestly know almost nothing about the fish-eye as I have no interest in fish-eye lenses. The 35mm has a very impressive optical design and the published mtf graph is amazing. Again, that's the one published by Samyang so me being the suspicious type will be waiting for neutral test results to make up my mind on it.

I completely get why Samyang choses not to do auto-focus or any other gizmo's in their lenses. It all ads to the cost and in the end is not the most important thing in the world. I personally love MF. Most of my lenses are MF and I find that some of my AF lenses don't have a very good MF ring. Some do though. Both my Sigma's have decent MF rings and so does my 55-300. It doesn't feel as tight as a true MF lens, but they can be used in MF with some practice. If in choosing a lens I had a score chart I used with a total score of 10, autofocus would only be one point on that score chart. It's really not the most important thing in the world to me. But, when there are other lens offerings out there, especially genuine Pentax lenses, that are capable of excellent resolution (not to mention everything else you can expect from a Pentax lens) it kinda puts the Samyang at a disadvantage. Keep in mind that the Samyang 35mm is competing with the FA35mm f2. Sure it's half a stop slower, but it has outstanding resolution. I honestly don't usually shoot below f2 anyway so that's not a huge deal. It's also competing with the Pentax DA35mm which is no slouch ether, but a whole stop slower, but also $300 LESS! Also keep in mind the DA35 is the same optical design as the FA35, just designed for APS-C. Then there is the Sigma 30mm, which I know is also APS-C and has boarder issues, but is still a very good lens. Don't forget the DA40 limited. Excellent resolution from wide open to f11. It's 2.8, but it's a great lens regardless, and quite a bit smaller. Just to throw another in the mix, there is the Pentax 31mm limited. Ya it's $450 more, but if you are willing to pay $525 for the samyang, why not wait and save up for the 31mm limited. Remember, the 31mm Limited comes with Pixi Dust!

The whole point to that rant is that there are lots of really good options available in the same price range or lots less that come equiped with AF. If I am going to purchase the Samyang, it will either have to test to be an outstanding lens, capable of way better results then the Pentax offerings, or it will have to come down in price.
02-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
Hit or miss based on what data? The anecdotal reports on web forums where people only complain when they have a problem not when everything is working as it should? I have purchased 3 sigma lenses, 10-20, 150-50, and the 30 1.4, none of which have problems. So from my perspective Sigma quality is top notch.

You're right. Since you haven't had any issue with your three lenses you've purchased from Sigma, every lens they've ever produced has been spot on. How silly of me.
02-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
Forum Member

you think $525 is overpriced for a 35 1.4? That is a bargain. 35 1.4 ais for nikon is over 1k, 35 1.4 zeiss will be how much?

There IS a difference between 1.4 and 1.8, just like there IS a difference between 1.4 and 1.2. People WILL pay for this difference! This lens is mainly targeted to full-frame users, and that is who will mostly buy them.

I do not understand why people compare lenses with different apertures, there is usually a performance penalty that faster lenses pay. People are often willing to spend 2-3x more to get a lens that performs worse but has a faster aperture.
02-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
You're right. Since you haven't had any issue with your three lenses you've purchased from Sigma, every lens they've ever produced has been spot on. How silly of me.
My point is that the QA problems are perceived to be very bad based on anecdotal evidence not any hard data. Using that logic then Pentax makes a pretty shitty lens as well since all the lenses with SDM always fail based on what I have read here.
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Remember this is a 35mm lens for a 135 image circle. Not a normal lens.
like I said, it will depend on the actual samples on how good the lens is. as of the moment, $500 for an untested manual focus lens is not a nice deal for most consumers.
02-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

for $500, you can get a Pentax FF FA43 or the speed demon A50/1.2 manual focus FF lens.
neither are 35mm and "speed demon" is merely 1/3 to 1/2 (depends on how you and Pentax are rounding) stops faster then 1.4... 15mm wider is a bigger thing that 1/3-1/2 stops brighter when you are talking about these focal length' (and not about 100mm+ range).
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Keep in mind that the Samyang 35mm is competing with the FA35mm f2.
it is not in the sense that FA35/2 is not in production anymore and you kind of forgetting that nobody cares that much about Pentax w/ its tiny marketshare... Samyang is making lens for almost all major mounts and it is actually a favor to Pentax that K mount is not dropped like certain elite names did.