Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I do understand and hear all the points being made about how so many prices appear fixed - I think what I was trying to communicate is that while the lens market isn't a perfect supply/demand microeconomic marketplace, neither is it some sort of protected marketplace free from the effects of varying levels of demand from consumers (which was someone else's thesis). Prices do move, though the major camera/lens makers do try to operate as much like a cartel as legally possible (with MAP and authorized resellers, no warranty on 'grey-market goods' etc.) and they typically try to hide supply/demand price changes as much as possible (preferring rebates over sales), specifically because giving the appearance of total price stability/lock gives them the upper hand - and ultimately greater profits. (I'd like to think that by commenting in this thread in this way I can raise greater awareness among the general consumer that the 'fixed' and 'stable' prices are really a corporate construct and not a true reality.)
I hear ya. I don't really have a dog in this fight anyway. I definitely agree with the "not a true reality" statement. Just comparing prices of, say, a Nikon 24/1.4 lens with a Sigma 24/1.8, or a Nikon 85/1.8 with a Pentax 77/1.8..."reality" is hard to put a finger on when examining lens prices!

03-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I'll pass on this Chinese lens.
I'm sure the Chinese and South Koreans on this board must groan at comments like this.

Samyang Optics is a South Korean company, and in 2004 they merged with the Japanese company Seikou Optics.
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #123

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sample images, apparently taken with this lens are now available on the Samyang Site.

Samyang.pl news
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #124

Original Poster
Just looking at the sample images, it seems sharp enough with good bokeh. Though bokeh highlights seem to have green fringing. Color and contrast seems decent.

Bokeh does seem to be a little busy in the last sample, with lots of green fringing on the highlights, but that is also a very busy background.

03-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
samples look good but not overwhelming. need more samples, otherwise this is just good at best. a comparison perhaps might help.
03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #126

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
a comparison perhaps might help
I agree. It's hard to tell how good or bad this lens is without comparing it to other available lenses. More sample images would be nice as well.
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #127
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Sample images, apparently taken with this lens are now available on the Samyang Site.

Samyang.pl news
Thanks for the link. The sharpness at 1.4 is impressive and the lens seems to be sharp across the entire (APS) frame. I also noticed the edge of the highlights - that may be a problem, but more samples would be needed.

03-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #128
Banned

(I'd like to think that by commenting in this thread in this way I can raise greater awareness among the general consumer that the 'fixed' and 'stable' prices are really a corporate construct and not a true reality.)
I agree that prices are fixed. The best example is again Samyang via its numerous rebrandings. The Rokinon are cheaper than the Bower/Pro-Optic, which in turn are cheaper than the Vivitar versions. While the Vivitar looks different and may be slightly different (maybe has different coatings? or not?), the others look the same. Why do they have different prices? Because they say so. Still, that's the state today and that's all I was pointing out.
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samyang.pl news
That's a fairly impressive set of sample shots. I'm surprised at the sharpness at f/1.4 (and without much fringing/aberrations no less). It's also helpful that those pics were shot on a D7000 with the same sensor size as our cameras (film aficionados excluded).

Perhaps I should keep this lens on my radar (especially if it turns out that pesky FA31 is out of my grasp!).

Edit: The more I look at the specs the more I like: If their MTF chart is correct, then wide open it superbly beats the Sigma 30 1.4 at resolving at the borders. Only time (and a professional review) will tell.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 03-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #130

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
That's a fairly impressive set of sample shots. I'm surprised at the sharpness at f/1.4 (and without much fringing/aberrations no less). It's also helpful that those pics were shot on a D7000 with the same sensor size as our cameras (film aficionados excluded).

Perhaps I should keep this lens on my radar (especially if it turns out that pesky FA31 is out of my grasp!).

Edit: The more I look at the specs the more I like: If their MTF chart is correct, then wide open it superbly beats the Sigma 30 1.4 at resolving at the borders. Only time (and a professional review) will tell.

You know, after looking at it again, you are right, the images are quite sharp for f1.4. My only concern is that the f11 and f8 shots don't look like they are huge improvements over the f1.4 performance. If that is the best I can expect from this lens, my lowly Pentax-a 35mm f2.8 can probably out perform the Samyang above f4 or 5.6. I guess the Samyang is optimized for large aperture performance kind of like the 85mm f1.4.
I mentioned the green rings in the bokeh in my previous post. After further research the green rings in the bokeh are probably the result of the lens having an aspherical element. Though it's disappointing to see, it is apparently expected in this type of lens design.
Again, as everyone has mentioned thus far, more sample images and a detailed review are definitely necessary to form a real option about the Samyang's performance.
03-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Samyang.pl news
very sharp, but overall horrible samples to show a new lens off with
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
very sharp, but overall horrible samples to show a new lens off with
Typical for camera company samples.
03-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Typical for camera company samples.
I wonder why not give it to a good photographer? Heck, im sure I could take better ones than these Samyang send me one, and I wont charge you a single penny (as long as I get to keep the lens )
03-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I'm sure the Chinese and South Koreans on this board must groan at comments like this.

Samyang Optics is a South Korean company, and in 2004 they merged with the Japanese company Seikou Optics.
If anyone was offended by what I posted, chances are they are offended by much much more than that on a daily basis.

Jason
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New samples have been posted on lenstip.com:

Samyang 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC - sample shots - Lenstip.com

The samples are all taken with a Nikon D3x full-frame DSLR, so I'd expect better resolution across a Pentax APS-C camera.

The samples look good to me, but not great. I find it odd that the f/2.8 shot seems sharper than the f/8 shot of the same subject. Thoughts?