Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We can recommend this lens with clear conscience to many users of Canon and Nikon reflex cameras equipped with smaller sensors. The Pentax users don’t need the Voigtlander at all as they have in their arsenal such a lens as smc DA 21 mm f/3.2 AL Limited. Most probably it is the reason why the Color Skopar hasn’t been offered on K mount any more for some time now ~~lenstip.com~~

here is what lenstip said about colour skopar .. and i think, its explain everything

04-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think if you are looking for compact yet full frame 35. Get an A, M, or K 35 F2

I picked up an M35/2 for about half the price
04-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Review posted:

Samyang 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Looks like this will be my next purchase!
And here I go eating my words...

After looking more closely at the Zeiss 35mm f2, I decided to keep my eyes open for a used copy at a decent price. Just so happens that today I found one on ebay from popflash that was a used demo copy in "great condition" selling for just under $700. Needless to say, I wasn't about to let that deal go!

Based on the reviews and the pictures, I'd say the Zeiss has the Samyang beat on wide open sharpness, size (obviously), build quality, and bokeh. The latter I felt was lacking in the Samyang; in the sample shots there seem to be outline rings around the CoC's. Plus (and I don't know if this is related), lenstip pointed out significant bokeh fringing (longitudinal CA) on the Samyang that doesn't appear to be as severe on the Zeiss. On the other hand, the Samyang scored higher on edge sharpness (past f2.8), has better lateral CA control, and significantly less vignetting at comparable apertures, so it's certainly not without it's merits.

Obviously the Zeiss is more expensive, typically by ~$400 more for new nowadays, but for ~$150 more than the Samyang I think the Zeiss was worth it. For anybody interested, popflash still has another demo copy up on ebay, albeit in "fair condition".
04-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
And here I go eating my words...

After looking more closely at the Zeiss 35mm f2, I decided to keep my eyes open for a used copy at a decent price. Just so happens that today I found one on ebay from popflash that was a used demo copy in "great condition" selling for just under $700. Needless to say, I wasn't about to let that deal go!

Based on the reviews and the pictures, I'd say the Zeiss has the Samyang beat on wide open sharpness, size (obviously), build quality, and bokeh. The latter I felt was lacking in the Samyang; in the sample shots there seem to be outline rings around the CoC's. Plus (and I don't know if this is related), lenstip pointed out significant bokeh fringing (longitudinal CA) on the Samyang that doesn't appear to be as severe on the Zeiss. On the other hand, the Samyang scored higher on edge sharpness (past f2.8), has better lateral CA control, and significantly less vignetting at comparable apertures, so it's certainly not without it's merits.

Obviously the Zeiss is more expensive, typically by ~$400 more for new nowadays, but for ~$150 more than the Samyang I think the Zeiss was worth it. For anybody interested, popflash still has another demo copy up on ebay, albeit in "fair condition".

why not get a Pentax K 35/2 instead?

04-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why not get a Pentax K 35/2 instead?
The K35/2 looks awesome, but the A contacts, minimum focus distance (30cm vs 35cm), number of aperture blades (9 vs 6), and wide-open sharpness (according to the reviews) led me to the Zeiss.

I've got hexagonal bokeh well covered by my A50/2.8 Macro:

And while my Voigtlander 58/1.4 is incredible, it's a bit long for indoor shots and group portraits. What can I say, I'm a sucker for bokeh.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 04-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.
05-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #171

Samyang slaughters them all

So guys you are interested in SY 35mm 1.4.

Good. So am I

But I already *HAVE* 8mm 14mm 85mm SY so let me tell you few things bout SY

Firstly SAMYANG kicks a**s. It's a MF (mother f***ing manual focus) lens only with an A on the aperture ring.

You can be 100%, no wait 110% sure SY will slaughter in optical performance all expired and current as well as probably future version of Pentax.
Including the non-sensical 1250 USD Fa31/1.8.

However.... there's the BIG SIGMA 30mm 1.4 which SY will just outperform.

Having all those great SY's with nice optical performance and provided their price why should you NOT!!! get one? Ok, let me continue...

Secondly. Samyang is not in terms of customer service up to the level of Pentax / Sigma etc. WHAT happens if you have a small problem? Lets say a "soft copy" Adios Rio buy another one? Does it come so much cheaper 2x500 compared to 1250

and to me the most important

Thirdly - Samyang lenses are BIG HEAVY and do not seem to be tough as my old SMC primes. They feel plasticky. Not solid. Vulnerable with big front elements. The material is not prime. No limited. Not a luxury item. Nothing to brag about.... just functional lens.

This is what I mean - take your SMC 50mm prime in your hand - then drop it on the floor. You just broke the terracotta Now take the SY 85mm f1.4 --- ok, you got the idea -- it could not survive no way...

Think about it. You can't have it all.... and 500 of your US american bucks is not exactly pocket change....

Finaly - lets have some test and some reviews and lets see some pictures...
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #172

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Samyang slaughters them all
Let me be the first to reply to this.......... I don't agree...... end of subject.

Ok, not enough explaination, I've seen the review from lenstip.com. It's good yes, but does it beat other Pentax lenses in this rough focal length. No. Does it beat the Sigma, maybe, depending on what you look for in a lens. Do other Pentax Lenses beat the Sigma, maybe, depending on what you look for in a lens. If you are looking at peak resolution numbers across the frame, the SY can't touch the Pentax offerings. If you are looking at wide open performance, SY is a damn good lens. If you are looking at CA, the SY is a damn good lens, but so are the pentax offerings. If you are looking at peak center performance only, the Sigma is damn good. If you are looking at build quality and size, leave everything else on the shelf and pick up a Pentax. There is more then one way to look at it.
For those looking for wide open performance across the frame at f1.4 to f1.6, get the SY.
For those looking for wide open performance across the frame at 1.8 or higher, get a Pentax.
For those looking for center performance at f1.4 or above, get the Sigma.
For those wanting auto-focus, don't buy a SY.
For those wanting a small well built lens, get a Pentax.

At least those are my opinions based on available reviews. As more surface, my opinion may change. Regardless, I won't be buying the SY any time soon as I do not currently require wide open performance at f1.4 for a 35mm lens. I have 50mm lenses that do wide open 1.4 just fine. If the need arises, I may reconsider the SY if the need arises in the future. Of course, other options may be available then as well.

05-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #173

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
It's good yes, but does it beat other Pentax lenses in this rough focal length. No.
Aaaah, then it's easy! Since the Da 35/2,4 is also much cheaper and the Da 35/2.8 macro limited is about the same price you are decided. Right ? Let's not discuss it anymore then - subject closed

Unless you are a little bit wrong in your ass-essement
05-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #174
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
it is not in the sense that FA35/2 is not in production anymore and you kind of forgetting that nobody cares that much about Pentax w/ its tiny marketshare... Samyang is making lens for almost all major mounts and it is actually a favor to Pentax that K mount is not dropped like certain elite names did.
Actually, Pentax recently turned out a batch of FA 35/2 and FA 20-35/4 lenses and they are available at BH and maybe Ador. However, we are still talking about f2 vx. f1.4. This korean glass really needs to be competitively priced with the Sigma 30/1.4 which can be had $479 shipped at the moment. It will help if its performance is at least equal to the Sigma.

Edit: 'When' and 'if' Pentax produces a full frame dslr, I will worry about the ff coverage.
05-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #175

pentax shows disrespect and fear

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, Pentax recently turned out a batch of FA 35/2 and FA 20-35/4 lenses and they are available at BH and maybe Ador.
Yep funny stories. All of a sudden a "new batch" was found and it is selling at the "old price".

Pentax afraid of the new 35mm SY big time. :ugh::ugh::ugh: but thinks customers are all idiots. And some seem to be

Go SY Go!!!

Last edited by dreamfoto; 05-16-2011 at 12:43 AM.
05-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #176
Veteran Member

Well I still think the classics kick a**. Samyang makes fine lenses and excellent value for money, but I seriously doubt they outperform the oldies. Check out these two trial pics - one is Pentax K15/3.5 wide open at ISO500 and the other is Samyang 14/2.8 at f7.1 ISO320 (guess which is which):

Look at lots of pics and make up your own minds. All good lenses, yes, but not quite in the same league, I think.

Have you got images from Samyang 35/1.4 like these (leica 35/1.4)?

Last edited by DanielT74; 05-16-2011 at 03:20 AM.
05-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #177

Cute Leica pics!!! Loooove the "quess the lens game"!!! SY14mm IS THE FIRST ONE

No No - changed my mind the SECOND one

Last edited by dreamfoto; 05-16-2011 at 05:48 AM.
05-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #178
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Yep funny stories. All of a sudden a "new batch" was found and it is selling at the "old price".

Pentax afraid of the new 35mm SY big time. :ugh::ugh::ugh: but thinks customers are all idiots. And some seem to be

Go SY Go!!!
At $475 and $659.95, Pentax/Hoya are showing no fear. The original prices of those were $299 and ~$425 when the were "discontinued."
05-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #179

bad bad SY

SY35mm

some anonymous Benevolent Volonteer UPloaded ONE pic on flickr TODAY

05-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Nice! Good to see some photos, not just chatter!

PS Yes, the K15 was first.