Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

Lens Glass Issue - Please Help

Hi. I recently acquired this lens but do not have much time to test it out as it is 645 and the window for returning it is near. (I would have to send the film out for processing.) The seller did not mention this potential issue, only that the lens was in "excellent condition."

Does anyone know what this is and if something like this can affect image quality? Streaky bright areas when light hits on it from the proper angle. I have seen fungus, haze, spotting, etc., but never this. It is not on the exposed side but looks like just behind the front element. Thanks.

Attached Images

02-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you return it?

I doubt you would actually see it in pictures (esp. if your 645 is digital - remember that it has a cropped sensor as well), but if you can get your money back it would be nice for piece of mind?
02-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like it was cleaned b4 and left behind some fluid marks, a very poor job. I would either has it cleaned asap (if you didn't overpay) or refunded (if the marks are permanent). Don't think will affect image quality though.
02-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. The lens is a Pentax-FA 45-85mm 645 lens and came with a Pentax 645N, not D. I thought I would try out medium format and if not liking it or using it as much as anticipated, I could resell and basically get my money back. So besides how it might affect images I am also concerned about how it might affect resale value.

So perhaps what happened is that a previous owner sprayed cleaner directly on the lens and some seeped to the back side via the edge.

02-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by babajoof Quote

So perhaps what happened is that a previous owner sprayed cleaner directly on the lens and some seeped to the back side via the edge.
I am pretty sure that's what happened to the lens - I did the same to my Canon 35-105 some 20+ years ago, one of those pre-moistened lens tissue had far more liquid in it than I thought. It had no effect on the image (T90), you might ask for a partial refund for the visually unpleasing blemish, instead of returning it outright.