Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #31
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sean Quote
Got it back. Pentax Canada charged me $225, saying the front ring was cracked. I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm happy to have this lens back in time for summer.
Now might be a good time to dump it. I just picked up a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II EX DC HSM APO for $790 complete with a 10 year warranty! Obviously Sigma - unlike Pentax - can provide a 10 year warranty because they've put enough quality, substance and thought in their product to back it up as such.

05-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Now might be a good time to dump it. I just picked up a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II EX DC HSM APO for $790 complete with a 10 year warranty! Obviously Sigma - unlike Pentax - can provide a 10 year warranty because they've put enough quality, substance and thought in their product to back it up as such.
Out of curiosity, are the 10 year warranties in Canada transferable? I only ask because I know in the US they are not.
05-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #33

Fellow Canadian here....with the same issue. SDM replaced on 50-135 9 months ago, now it's starting to squeak again....which is the first thing that happened first time around...argh! Pentax Canada is saying that it will only warranty their replaced motors for 6 months...I'm SOL
My 16-50 was sent to Japan for it's motor replacement, but Pentax Canada did the replacement on the 50-135.....maybe I'll find a way to send it back to Japan and get it done right!
05-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #34

Hello fellow Okanagan'er! I'm in Summerland. Having serious issues with SDM and am looking at the 50-150 2.8 from Sigma. How are you liking it? Is it as sharp as the Pentax DA*50-135?

05-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Out of curiosity, are the 10 year warranties in Canada transferable? I only ask because I know in the US they are not.
AFAIK warranties (regardless of the manufacturer) are not usually transferable, so probably not.
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #36
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
Hello fellow Okanagan'er! I'm in Summerland. Having serious issues with SDM and am looking at the 50-150 2.8 from Sigma. How are you liking it? Is it as sharp as the Pentax DA*50-135?
Hey, that's cool. I can see Summerland from my back window. The Sigma hasn't arrived yet but I should have it by Tuesday at the latest. Maybe we can get together sometime and you can try it for yourself?
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fellow Canadian here....with the same issue. SDM replaced on 50-135 9 months ago, now it's starting to squeak again....which is the first thing that happened first time around...argh! Pentax Canada is saying that it will only warranty their replaced motors for 6 months...I'm SOL
My 16-50 was sent to Japan for it's motor replacement, but Pentax Canada did the replacement on the 50-135.....maybe I'll find a way to send it back to Japan and get it done right!
Check your warranty laws. Here in Florida, if it is still under warranty, that "replacement" motor argument would not fly. I would love to drag someone's arse down here from Colorado with there 2-bit lawyer in tow.
05-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

I read this thread about yet another SDM failure, feeling sympathy for the OP. "Poor Sod" I thought. I've never had a problem with my 50-135. I love that lens. Reading yet again about SDM failures when the lens has not been used, I took mine out of it's case where it has been for the fortnight since I last used it, mounted it on the K-5 and .....it's dead.

Hmm, tried the K-7, the K-x and even a 1.4x TC (desperate measure, I realise) ...nothing.

Looks like I'm another victim of the SDM failure. Bugger. This means sending the lens to Japan, as there is no way of fixing it in Oz, as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by Bramela; 05-16-2011 at 12:32 PM.
05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Check your warranty laws. Here in Florida, if it is still under warranty, that "replacement" motor argument would not fly. I would love to drag someone's arse down here from Colorado with there 2-bit lawyer in tow.
It was out of warranty the first time it was replaced, but it sure would have been nice to make the second warranty longer than 6 months...
05-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You might want to check out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sup...or-repair.html
I haven't tried it yet, but only because I have a K10D running V1.2 where the lens still works in screw drive.
05-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
You might want to check out https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sup...or-repair.html
I haven't tried it yet, but only because I have a K10D running V1.2 where the lens still works in screw drive.
If you'd know how many things I've taken apart, that didn't quite go back together....you wouldn't suggest that!
05-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I read this thread about yet another SDM failure, feeling sympathy for the OP. "Poor Sod" I thought. I've never had a problem with my 50-135. I love that lens. Reading yet again about SDM failures when the lens has not been used, I took mine out of it's case where it has been for the fortnight since I last used it, mounted it on the K-5 and .....it's dead.

Hmm, tried the K-7, the K-x and even a 1.4x TC (desperate measure, I realise) ...nothing.

Looks like I'm another victim of the SDM failure. Bugger. This means sending the lens to Japan, as there is no way of fixing it in Oz, as far as I'm aware.
I have three DA* lenses, so far, so good. But it is always in the back of my mind, WHEN....

Does not C.R.Kennedy's not fix these lens? Being the Australian official agent for Pentax.
05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #43

Hey, that's cool. I can see Summerland from my back window. The Sigma hasn't arrived yet but I should have it by Tuesday at the latest. Maybe we can get together sometime and you can try it for yourself?
Sounds great...It's hard to find any sigma lenses around here that are made for Pentax.
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you'd know how many things I've taken apart, that didn't quite go back together....you wouldn't suggest that!
I know that predicament very well. Perhaps that's another reason why I haven't tried it yet.
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have three DA* lenses, so far, so good. But it is always in the back of my mind, WHEN....

Does not C.R.Kennedy's not fix these lens? Being the Australian official agent for Pentax.
Bruce, my understanding is that CRK send then lenses back to Japan for repair, but I could be wrong. I'm waiting for 9am to give them a call.

My other alternative is to take the lens and a link to the repair page to a camera tech. My lens is out of warranty anyway, so no harm in letting someone other than Pentax/CRK pull it apart. As it happens Nagami Camera Service is located a couple of blocks from me. He has a good reputation with the local camera crowd, so I might give the lens to him to try and repair. If his quote for the work is too high I'll have a go at trying the repair myself.