Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Fish eye lense!

Good afternoon

Ive been looking at various sites about fisheye lenses and like the freedom to create unique images with this lense. I know its not everyones cup of tea but personally i think its for me.

Ive heard of videos on the net about how how different sensors create different effects with using a fisheye attached.

I dont have a fortune to spend on one, so looked at Ebay and came across the Lensbaby fisheye. Does anyone have any experience with this kit or if any of you reading this can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Im using a Pentax k-x.

Regards
Rob

02-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Im not a fan of the lensbaby stuff, and personally, I would look at the Samyang 8mm fisheye
02-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry, I haven't tried the LensBaby. What I *have* tried:

* A peephole fisheye from a hardware store, the kind for which you drill a hole in a door if you can't afford a video surveillance system. Result: Doesn't work on APS-C camera, sucks on P&S.

* A Kenko 180 Degree Fisheye adapter (also badged as Spiratone, Lentar, etc) mounted on a 35-80 zoom. Full-circle at ~40mm, frame-filling at ~60mm. Result: Need small aperture, tripod usually, and edges aren't crisp, but it sure gives that ultra-fishy view! Cost: US$40-80.

* The mighty DA10-17 frame-filling AF fisheye zoom, a great window on angles and curves, nice and compact, but not exactly cheap. Splendid results, if a bit slow at the long end. Sharpness up the wazoo. Cost: ~US$450.

* The legendary frame-filling Zenitar 16/2.8 manual prime (mine in PK mount). Very fishy on FF, slightly fishy on APS-C, and notably faster than the DA10-17 at 16mm (f/2.8 vs f/4.5). Also splendid results and lots of fun. Defished, it's equivalent to 12mm rectilinear. But its fishiness can be pushed in PP as desired. Cost: ~US$200.

The DA10-17 is what drove me to Pentax in the first place. When I was ready for my first dSLR ~2.8 years ago, that was the only affordable fisheye zoom available, and it was the first lens I bought for my K20D, along with the DA18-250 and FA50/1.4. It is a superior lens. I tend to use the Zenitar more indoors, because of the Zen's better speed. But if I were forced to throw away my ~200 lenses [sob!!] and only keep two, the 10-17 and 18-250 would be the survivors.
02-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have the samyang (AKA pro optic, vivitar, bower, rokonon, et.al) 8mm F3.5 fisheye.

I have found for the money, it is a good purchase.,

You will spend about half the price of this lens, getting a wide angle adaptor for your lens, that adds a rediculous amount of latteral CA making shots basically useful only for 4x6 inch prints.

the peroformance of the samyang is very good, with moinimal CA and also very good optical coatings to protect from flare, which is a serious point to consider on a 180 degree (corner to corner) field of view lens, because it is pretty hard to keep the sun out of the field of view.

the pentax version is manual focus, but comes in KA mount, making all exposure modes available.

02-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Images from Samyang 8mm 1:3.5 CS.
I don't own it that long yet but here you can see just how wide 8mm is and how good it really is against lens flares:
Tempelhof panorama by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART Sun in the left.
Reflection by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART Lens flare in the top right corner.
Lens flare example. by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART This is the worst flare gets.
My bike 3 by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART Weak perspective distortion.
My bike 4 by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART Stronger perspective distortion.
Caprice Classic - BW by ~Egg-Salad on deviantART Extreme use of perspective distortion.

Awesome lens considering its price tag.
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love my DA 10-17. One of the most fun lenses I own.
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I love my DA 10-17. One of the most fun lenses I own.
Me, too. The Zenitar seems to work, too, and it is fairly cheap.