Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #1

21 or 43?

Silly to ask for other peoples advice on this I guess, but if you had a K10d with kit lens (18-55) and you also already owned a 31ltd and a 70 ltd, and lastly you were working towards a prime kit of 21, 31, 43, 70.................. which would you get first, the 21 or the 43?

I was thinking I should get the 43 just in case supply runs out or the FA's were to get phased out, but at the same time I also wonder if I shouldn't get the 21 for it's wider perspective. I have the 18-55 which will fill in on either spectrum until I can later get the other. The 43 has the better rebate now also.

Tough call................

10-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm on the opposite horn of your dilemma, having the DA 21, DA 40, and manual focus A 50. The question for me is, do I get the FA 31 or the DA 70 first?

In your shoes, I think I would get the 21 before the 43. The 18-55 is nearly as fast as the DA 21, but not quite as good wide open. The 43 gives you more low-light capability, as well as the greater creative control and easier focusing (automatic and manual) offered by the wide aperture, but you already have those bases covered with the 31. The 43, to me, kind of sits in the middle of a spread you can cover with a little bit of foot-zoom.

Have you tried running exposureplot on your current image library, to see into which range most of your favorite shots fall? Alternatively, you could use a bit of gaffer tape to lock your 18-55 in the 21mm position and shoot that way for a month or so, to see if you actually like the 21mm end.

Unfortunately, the Hessian who rules over us here in Kalifornia just signed into law an idiotic bill that may force me to shift my buying priorities from LBA for a bit. But that's another tough call and story...

Last edited by dndavis; 10-18-2007 at 03:50 PM.
10-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
In your shoes, I'd get the 70 or 77 next, as it would be a better fit with the three I think. Then you have a fairly complete trio of 21, 40, 70.

I sort of jumped out of my plan by getting the 31 when I did.

QuoteOriginally posted by dndavis Quote
I'm on the opposite horn of your dilemma, having the DA 21, DA 40, and manual focus A 50. The question for me is, do I get the FA 31 or the DA 70 first?

In your shoes, I think I would get the 21 before the 43. The 18-55 is nearly as fast as the DA 21, but not quite as good wide open. The 43 gives you more low-light capability, as well as the greater creative control and easier focusing (automatic and manual) offered by the wide aperture, but you already have those bases covered with the 31. The 43, to me, kind of sits in the middle of a spread you can cover with a little bit of foot-zoom.

Have you tried running exposureplot on your current image library, to see into which range most of your favorite shots fall? Alternatively, you could use a bit of gaffer tape to lock your 18-55 in the 21mm position and shoot that way for a month or so, to see if you actually like the 21mm end.

Unfortunately, the Hessian who rules over us here in Kalifornia just signed into law an idiotic bill that may force me to shift my buying priorities from LBA for a bit. But that's another tough call and story...
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A sensible answer would be to get the 21 first to extend your range, the 43 is more filling in your range. but then I do understand your argument about the fear of the 43 disappearing. altho it wont disappear soon, as in the next couple of months, so depends on how long you expect to save up after you get the one lens now.

also the 21 seems to have a lot of focusing problems, better to get one in a store and test it out in case you get a bad copy.

10-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #5

Go and get the FA43 !!!
I had similar thoughts as you, calculating the focal lenghts etc.
But then luckily I listened to my stomach and never regreted it.
The FA43 is now the lens in 80% of my shots.
And yes: It could run out

What makes it so special?
- very, very nicely constructed (significantly better than Da21)
- cool focal lenghts, because to my opinion it prevents from taking to many unimportnat things into the picture
- it is like a beautiful woman with bad habits (e.g. bokeeh is not so smooth). Decision: Do you want a "barbie" or a class lens?
- the first FA Limited lens ever
- the one and only lens from Pentax, which had also a Leica-Edition

I read an article recently, that humans are consiting of 99% instinct and emotions, and 1% is civilized ratio. Your 1% will get into trouble with the 99%. Admit it!

Kind regards
Jacob
10-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
Update

Just as an update to my original thread, after thinking about it for a few days, I ended up ordering a 43mm as the next lens. Based it on the fact that I'm mainly shooting portrait type shots of family now, the $100 rebate, and uncertainty that the 43 will be available down the road.

Gives me 18-55, 31Ltd, 43Ltd & 70Ltd now for my K10D.

I'll eye the 21mm next.

Thanks for all the tips.

PS - I also ordered a general brand Pentax K to 49mm reverse adapter with the lens from B&H to play with. Thought it might be fun to experiment. I may also look into some tubes if I can find some that do aperature information..............

Also I picked up a Tamrac Velocity 7x today. Haven't test fit the camera nd lenses, but in the store a K10d with kit lens seemed to fit nicely. About the same way my old Minolta film camera fit in my prior Velocity 7. Sold that bag, but the new version seems to have addressed many of my complaints on the older style. Hopefully it will hold the 4 prime kit with body that I'm working towards.