Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why are Pentax lens hoods so scarce?

I have a 14mm f2.8 lens that I bought used a few months ago that has a hood, but no filter door. It frustrates me to not have that filter door in there, so I started looking for a replacement. A while back I sent an email to Pentax about it and they said they don't sell the doors by themselves, but I could get a replacement hood from their web store (false as it is not on there).

PH-RBH 77mm seems like a mythical beast...

I'd just like to get a replacement filter door, but that looks like even less likely than finding the whole hood+door.

Does anyone know of an alternative that would work on the 14mm or where I could get a replacement filter door?

Pentax if you are listening, stop with the hoods that have easily misplaced doors or sell replacements to ALL parts to your camera equipment (for a reasonable sum...not $60+ for a plastic hood even if you did have one available, which you don't).

02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll go one step further, include an extra filter window with every lens/hood you sell. I bet it would cost them a couple cents (at the most). It's not like it would cut into their ability to sell replacement windows, because as you pointed out, they won't even sell you one!
02-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Does anyone know of an alternative that would work on the 14mm
Black electrical tape.
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Black electrical tape.
Or that

02-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

I would suspect (or at least hope) that Pentax US would be able to order the hood for you from Japan. It's available as an accessory in the Japanese market and, at the current exchange rate, sells for about $45 (incl. tax).

Pentax Online ShopFt[h PH-RBH77

Sorry I can't offer an alternative. Although, I wonder if you could find a loophole by sending the hood in for "repair."
02-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Black electrical tape.
Currently I have black silicon tape around the back half of the hood, which is better than sticky tape.

I'm just stating my irritation for a lack of being able to get a replacement.
02-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #7

Couldn't agree more! Got a 16-45 without the filter door. Of course, they don't sell those separetely and a new hood costs a fortune...
02-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lost the whole hood of the 16-50...
Almost impossible to find this thing online. Replacement wouldn't cost me $60 but 30€ which is still overly expensive for a simple plastic item.
For now I replaced it with a pretty hideous but highly effective 3-step rubber lens hood.