Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice find, hope it treats you well, I'm saving for a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Macro... it could be awhile depending on how tax season goes!
Yeah if your happy with shots from the 18-55 the 50-200 will still be a step up, seeing reviews etc, its no DA*50-135 but it also doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

03-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Also, I've seen lots of people put a Raynox 150 Macro clip on lenses like the 50-200 and produce some nice shots, check out the Raynox Macro lens club.
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Nice find, hope it treats you well, I'm saving for a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Macro... it could be awhile depending on how tax season goes!
Yeah if your happy with shots from the 18-55 the 50-200 will still be a step up, seeing reviews etc, its no DA*50-135 but it also doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
Also, I've seen lots of people put a Raynox 150 Macro clip on lenses like the 50-200 and produce some nice shots, check out the Raynox Macro lens club.
Thanks for the hat tip on the Raynox Macro clips. I'm going to find it and subscribe to view later. I'm nodding off, so it's time to head to bed.

I hope tax season treats you right! All I need now is a flash and I'll be set for a long time. I'm getting ready to move, and it'll probably be back to my hometown. It has a LOT of outdoor festivals and open air concerts, etc in the spring/summer and early fall. Not to mention that the rural areas of the counties that makes up our metro area are downright beautiful, and our downtown is STUNNING! So, I should be able to take full advantage now that I have range. W00t!
03-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 for Raynox 150 (a cheap tube set is also a very worthy piece of kit ...)

03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
I thought that all focal lengths had to be multiplied by the 1.5 crop factor, unless the lens was on a 35mm film camera or on a full frame DSLR.
It's the field of view that is "multiplied". In fact, to be accurate, it is "cropped" so it reaches the FOV os a longer lens.

The focal length of a lens, with all its accompanying features (depth of field control, light gathering capabilities, etc) are a property of the lens. Using an APS-C sensor simply means you don't use the whole image created by the lens.

See it this way : a lens is round, so even with a full-frame sensor you actually crop a part of the image created by the lens (to get a rectangle). With APS-C, you simply crop more, but it's the same image to start with. Whatever the sensor you use, the lens does not change the image it creates.

Thinking about "focal length multiplier" instead of "crop factor" leads to multiple misinterpretations and innacuracies.
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's the field of view that is "multiplied". In fact, to be accurate, it is "cropped" so it reaches the FOV os a longer lens.

The focal length of a lens, with all its accompanying features (depth of field control, light gathering capabilities, etc) are a property of the lens. Using an APS-C sensor simply means you don't use the whole image created by the lens.

See it this way : a lens is round, so even with a full-frame sensor you actually crop a part of the image created by the lens (to get a rectangle). With APS-C, you simply crop more, but it's the same image to start with. Whatever the sensor you use, the lens does not change the image it creates.

Thinking about "focal length multiplier" instead of "crop factor" leads to multiple misinterpretations and innacuracies.
Nothing was inaccurate about what I wrote before. Maybe I used the wrong terminology, but I didn't have the wrong idea, and you knew what I was talking about. You just wanted to show off.

The long end of my 18-55mm lens has a focal length of 55mm when put on a 35mm SLR or a full frame DSLR. But, putting it on my K10D, with it's crop factor of 1.5, will make the lens' 35mm equivalent focal length 82.5mm. That number is arrived at by multiplying the focal length of (some point in) the lens by the crop factor of the camera: 55x1.5=82.5mm. And that's what I wrote. I may not have used the correct terms, but I understand the concept. Thanks for a deeper look, though.
03-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would You Be Up for A Sigma 50-200?

Hi There,

Would you be interested in a Sigma 50-200mm AF lens? I have this one Amazon.com: Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DC IF SLD Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo and I am looking to get rid of it. I can give it to you for $100 shipped, if that interests you. I am moving away from AF lenses and getting into manual focus and this might be a good fit for you. I have everything it came with and it's in like new condition.

-Brian
03-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The long end of my 18-55mm lens has a focal length of 55mm when put on a 35mm SLR or a full frame DSLR. But, putting it on my K10D, with it's crop factor of 1.5, will make the lens' 35mm equivalent focal length 82.5mm.
Incorrect. A lens at 55mm stays at 55mm no matter what camera it is on. You can change that focal length with a teleconverter, but not by switching cameras. A smaller frame sees less of the lens' image circle, that's all. My old story: Long ago I put a Spiratone 400mm long lens on my half-frame Olympus Pen-FT (frame size about the same as an APS-C sensor). I thought, WOW! NOW IT'S A 600MM LENS! But it wasn't and isn't. It's a 400mm lens with the edges of the image chopped off.

Forget you ever heard of crap.factor, equivalences, all that crud. Those are meaningless marketing terms, like Compassionate Conservative or New And Improved, that obscure reality and confuse the naive. Learn what any specific lens does on any specific camera. Stop calculating. Learn to see.

03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Nothing was inaccurate about what I wrote before. Maybe I used the wrong terminology, but I didn't have the wrong idea, and you knew what I was talking about. You just wanted to show off.
I show off with pictures :P

Good that you didn't have the wrong idea. But it's important to understand the difference. A different focal length will influence many imaging parameters, while a different FOV is only a crop.
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Incorrect. A lens at 55mm stays at 55mm no matter what camera it is on. You can change that focal length with a teleconverter, but not by switching cameras. A smaller frame sees less of the lens' image circle, that's all. My old story: Long ago I put a Spiratone 400mm long lens on my half-frame Olympus Pen-FT (frame size about the same as an APS-C sensor). I thought, WOW! NOW IT'S A 600MM LENS! But it wasn't and isn't. It's a 400mm lens with the edges of the image chopped off.

Forget you ever heard of crap.factor, equivalences, all that crud. Those are meaningless marketing terms, like Compassionate Conservative or New And Improved, that obscure reality and confuse the naive. Learn what any specific lens does on any specific camera. Stop calculating. Learn to see.
I know that a 55mm lens stays a 55mm lens no matter what camera it's on. I never said that it "became" anything else. I know what I meant, and that's all that matters. End of discussion.
03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I show off with pictures :P

Good that you didn't have the wrong idea. But it's important to understand the difference. A different focal length will influence many imaging parameters, while a different FOV is only a crop.
I will assign myself some homework, LOL. Meanwhile, thank you for not talking down to me just because you know more than me.
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mr.b.snowden Quote
Hi There,

Would you be interested in a Sigma 50-200mm AF lens? I have this one Amazon.com: Sigma 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DC IF SLD Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo and I am looking to get rid of it. I can give it to you for $100 shipped, if that interests you. I am moving away from AF lenses and getting into manual focus and this might be a good fit for you. I have everything it came with and it's in like new condition.

-Brian
Thanks for the offer, but I already made a purchase yesterday. The seller promised to get the lens shipped out today and email me my tracking number. I haven't heard anything, so far. I'll research your lens tonight, and if I don't get my tracking number by tomorrow, I'll be in touch with you via DM.
03-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I found out today my 18-135WR is on back order and Pentax Canada does not know when it will arrive! I guess they put in the order from their manufacturer and then it gets directly shipped to the vendor from there.. Not only for the new lens, but for the FA 50 f1.4 as well? So I was at least lucky enough to cancel the 50mm so I can afford a Metz 58 AF-2 instead.
03-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #44

Original Poster
I found out today my 18-135WR is on back order and Pentax Canada does not know when it will arrive! I guess they put in the order from their manufacturer and then it gets directly shipped to the vendor from there.. Not only for the new lens, but for the FA 50 f1.4 as well? So I was at least lucky enough to cancel the 50mm so I can afford a Metz 58 AF-2 instead.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you were able to pick up a flash. Is there anywhere else you can get the 18-135WR without having to wait? It might be worth your while to cancel it at that vendor, and buy from someplace that actually has it in stock. Your card shouldn't get charged until the item is shipped out to you, so it's not like you have to wait for the refund to shop elsewhere. It's worth a shot, if having an open-ended ETA is too annoying for you. It would drive me bananas, LOL.
03-04-2011, 06:22 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, thank you for not talking down to me just because you know more than me.
Now why would anyone do that? (and I'm not sure I know "more" than you, I may simply have a better understanding of optics. But then again, it's my professionnal training).