Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is driving me crazy, but I already paid for it when i ordered the camera and all my gear. Not a huge deal, being in a small town just has its drawbacks. As much as I could go out of town (2 1/2 hours) to a camera store and probably get it there... I would rather support the local dealers as long as they stay competitive. The shop I deal with ordered directly from Pentax, whom obviously is not carrying enough stock to support their demands. I understand with a slow economy they need to build less to prevent surplus of stale stock and squandered money, but its a brand new lens.. ya think they would at least have enough to hold stock for a year or two of decent sales.

Actually what I SHOULD do is send it back when it arrives, get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Macro, and then keep saving for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro, then I'm a 1.4x and a 2x teleconverter away from having all my ranges covered.. then my LBA will be set on wide angle primes and maybe the Ltd collections I still really want the FA31mm Ltd & FA77mm Ltd. then maybe the DA15.. oh the money to be squandered... my kids don't need to goto college right?

03-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
It is driving me crazy, but I already paid for it when i ordered the camera and all my gear. Not a huge deal, being in a small town just has its drawbacks. As much as I could go out of town (2 1/2 hours) to a camera store and probably get it there... I would rather support the local dealers as long as they stay competitive. The shop I deal with ordered directly from Pentax, whom obviously is not carrying enough stock to support their demands. I understand with a slow economy they need to build less to prevent surplus of stale stock and squandered money, but its a brand new lens.. ya think they would at least have enough to hold stock for a year or two of decent sales.

Actually what I SHOULD do is send it back when it arrives, get a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Macro, and then keep saving for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro, then I'm a 1.4x and a 2x teleconverter away from having all my ranges covered.. then my LBA will be set on wide angle primes and maybe the Ltd collections I still really want the FA31mm Ltd & FA77mm Ltd. then maybe the DA15.. oh the money to be squandered... my kids don't need to goto college right?
I think it's good to buy local if one has home-grown options and competitive prices. Like you, I don't understand why Pentax didn't have enough of the lenses on hand. They had to know it was going to be a popular item and there might be a run on them for awhile. I'm not even going to look up the lenses you mentioned. Don't want to set myself up to start coveting what I can't afford.

I'm going to be happy with what I can afford, even if it kills me, LOL!! Fortunately for me, the "inferior" 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses can take some amazing pictures. Yeah, maybe they need a little more PP than some of the expensive lenses, but even PP can't make a crappy shot look good, so the lenses can't be the dogs some portray them to be.

I took a "stroll" through the Kit Lens and DA Zoom club forums, and there were a LOT of awesome shots done with the kits and 50-200mm's. I think the derision some people show towards these lenses is done in an effort to make themselves feel better about spending so much money on a lens just to see comparable or better photos taken with lenses that cost 1/4 the price of theirs (quelle horreur!). Um... I think a comma goes somewhere in that last sentence. But, under the influence of Tramadol, I can't figure out where right this minute. So, please pardon any spelling or grammatical errors. My proofreading skills are compromised at the moment. Tee hee.

ROFL at "oh the money to be squandered... my kids don't need to goto college right?" <<== In my current "state" of mind, this is soooo hilarious!
03-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Well I might actually have just got funding for one of these lenses today. I work for the local municipality and we just ratified our new CBA. Depending on how things work out I should start looking at the 70-200mm f2.8 macro seriously I can get it locally for about $850. About the same price as the FA 77mm Ltd I want as well.. but how do ya pass up on the versatility of a decent ranged fast zoom lens with macro?
03-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I might actually have just got funding for one of these lenses today. I work for the local municipality and we just ratified our new CBA. Depending on how things work out I should start looking at the 70-200mm f2.8 macro seriously I can get it locally for about $850. About the same price as the FA 77mm Ltd I want as well.. but how do ya pass up on the versatility of a decent ranged fast zoom lens with macro?
This is how you choose: Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo...

Seriously, though... that's a hard choice, but I'd go with the fast zoom w/ macro just because it's more versatile, barring any specific needs for which the 77mm Ltd would be the better choice.

Oh, I forgot... what's CBA? I hope things work out for you to be able to cross another lens off your WTB list.

03-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #50
Veteran Member

CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement between the municipality and the workers union. Some also call it MOA, Memorandum Of Agreement. The 77mm Ltd would be for portrait use for the most part my WTB list needs trimming to get into a realistic perspective
03-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement between the municipality and the workers union. Some also call it MOA, Memorandum Of Agreement. The 77mm Ltd would be for portrait use for the most part my WTB list needs trimming to get into a realistic perspective
I was delayed in following up by a relocation, but did you finally get your lenses? Did you put any shots up anywhere?
03-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Ahh yes I did get my 18-135, posted some shots. I actually started a new thread trying to decide between the DA70/FA77/DFA100Macro leaning towards the 100 macro actually. Would be nice to be have a sharp lens at that focal length, since the 18-135 is pretty soft, I might send it in for servicing actually.