Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Tele-Converters?

Are there and Pentax brand tele-converters? I am looking into a DA* 50-135mm and it would be nice to have one that does SDM focusing. IQ is obviously important, but I know tele-converters tend to take a little away regardless of how good they are. I seriously doubt it exists, but weather sealing would be nice and auto-focusing for manual lenses would be a plus but not necessary.

Why such a lack of tele's in general for the Pentax lineup?

Will Sigma and Tamron tele's work fine for Pentax glass? I was under the impression there were compatibility problems...

Thanks for the help guys!

02-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this on the PentaxImaging website, which I find ironic:
Teleconverters | Pentax Support

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't even make what they refer to there. (At least not for a number of years.) Blithely oblivious to their own reality, and very irritating that Pentax is not listening!

Edit: ...Although I do think you can still occasionally find their 1.7 Auto-Focus Adapter (correct terminology, I hope), available as "new old stock".
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you look here:

Pentax Teleconverters

3rd Party Teleconvertors
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I have in my collection two original Pentax Teleconvertors, F 1.7x and a 2x convertor. The 2x is manual focus (converts AF into manual) whereas the 1.7x offers AF with manual focus lenses. I recently posted a shot in the Bokeh thread taken with a Viv S1 105 Macro coupled with my Pentax F 1.7x AF convertor, if you want to see the quality of this converter, which appears to be be regarded as the best Teleconverter made by Pentax so far.

02-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Tom, always good to hear from a fellow Michigan Pentaxian! Regarding those links though- which if any of those TCs are in current production? With the exception of maybe the Sigmas which are pretty much dedicated to certain Sigma lenses, no? Seems like for anyone with a Pentax SDM lens, the choices are very few if any.
02-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Hey Tom, always good to hear from a fellow Michigan Pentaxian! Regarding those links though- which if any of those TCs are in current production? With the exception of maybe the Sigmas which are pretty much dedicated to certain Sigma lenses, no? Seems like for anyone with a Pentax SDM lens, the choices are very few if any.
I don't think you will be able to find anything in current production outside of Japan that does both SDM and screw-drive...

Pentax 1.7x AF Adapter
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ (I personally know this one works with SDM)
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I can't speak to the non-Pentax, but the Pentax 1.7 AF still seems to be around, maybe as 'new-old stock'? Someone was selling a bunch of them here on the board a while back and they were advertised as 'new'.

This is one area (IM not-so HO) that Pentax is missing the boat. While others may long for their special lens, I long for a good Pentax 2x converter that supports the functions of their new lenses yet is still compatible with the manuals. Is that too much? Apparently!
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 1.7 AF is still available new from Japan. I have heard there is one production run per year. Unfortunately most camera stores in Japan will not ship out of the country.

The prices have gone up significantly in the last year - not sure what is causing this.

Try Japan Exposures - they ship overseas (I bought one from them last year)
japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)

you will also see it listed on Amazon Japan (Amazon.co.jp: 通販 - ファッション、家電から食品まで【無料配送】) as well as ??????Shopping is Entertainment! ? ??????????????????????????????????? but you will need to use a third party to ship it out of the country for you.

03-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bobe416 Quote
Try Japan Exposures - they ship overseas (I bought one from them last year)
japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)
I bought one from them just last month. Shipped Japan to Sweden in 4 days... Very nice! Although, when I look at the link now: WOW! They've almost doubled the price!

I can really recommend the AF 1.7x adapter. Especially if you have old manual glass. I use it on my K300mm f1:4 and my SMC-M 50 f1:1.7. Amazing quality! It turns up on ebay once in a while and also here at PentaxForums.
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Didgeridoohan Quote
I can really recommend the AF 1.7x adapter.
Agree. the A 2X-s is very good, too. Why they haven't released AF versions of the 1.4x & 2x is a freakin' mystery. My guess it has to do with screw-drive/SDM complications.